Alternative formation possibility? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Alternative formation possibility?

The Tried & True format for the Tau is all nice and good. I will not deny it. But I can't help but pry into and try to make a different use for the units avaliable.

Why spend 140-160pts on a Hammerhead when for the same price you can have 2 Brioadsides? Lack of support, anything with S7+ can take down a Broadside no problemo, and they need to stay still to fire...
    But the main reason is the lack of support.

Why not use Vespid? They suck at their projected job: MEQ-killers.
    They have the same S weapon as the Dark Reapers minus the range but plus maneuverability. They have a good Initiative and will nicely take down the MEQs if they get the charge (except the ICs, as is to be expected).
    Vespid = Support unit IMO. They stay back, waiting for the inevitable argument-proving assault unitto come rolling up to charge the broadsides, then jump forth, firing their guns, then dive into the enemy and lock them up for a turn. They don't cost nearly as much as other Jump infantry for the squad size, and the locking is effective for enemy lines to be blocked up.

Stealths. They are nice, but the Piranhas have the same weaponry + 2 drones each.
    A full squad of Piranhas with 2 Fusion blasters is a powerful force.
    5 Stealths can be shot down with a relative ease with their unaugmented T and 1 wound each. They can offset this by being hard to see, and gaining cover saves, and JSJ... But Piranhas pack the same punch and move like crazy, only get hit on 6s, and only get glancing hits. If 1 is immbolilsed, it dies should the rest of the unit move, ohnoes, boo hoo. 2 possible chances to die out of 6 after another 1/6 chance to actually be hit. The other ones merely slow them down or stop them hitting so hard.
    Compare this to the 'get hit and then wounded 1 time to die' and you have a keeper. The extra 20pts or so pays for the drones that can pin.

This isn't to say that Stealths aren't worth it. Oh no.
    They are quite the danger. The infiltrating ability is , especially if used right. Deploy behind or in cover, then JSJ the enemy from word go. Gaining power in range and cover for when the enemy tries to remove you, so you take less casualties. In doing so, they take some pressure off the other units you have advancing. If you give them a few Marker drones you have turn 1 seeker missiles coming to the enemy, .

Fire warriors are still capable of being an assault force... of sorts. This is only actually feasible against low-S, low-size, and/or low-I enemies, but it's still a laugh. Arm a full squad with Pulse Carbines and rush them up as fast as you can, the enemy assaulters with that good ol' pin gun. Pathfinders are good for this too, as if you couldn't tell. Thing is that Pathfinders can also sit back after their scout move and act as a support battery for the advancing Firewarriors. Just move the Devilfish foreward as an assault. The Tau at full strength could fire 12 S5 pinning blows, with any drones possibly doing the same, then making 24-27 attacks on the charge - not too shabby -. 3 Fish in a mobile formation can be frustrating for the enemy, up to 21 S5 attacks at range per turn isn't something to ignore.

Kroot are useful as a counter-assault and infiltrating unit. They'll deploy after the enemy close infiltrators of at all possible, and will form walls in front of any precious comoddities you have, forcing the enemy to go through the slavering masses of hungry, hungry, hippos.
    They're cheap too, which is an added bonus.

Gun Drones aren't really woth it, you can get them for free with Piranhas, they can be aded to all of the vehicles, and can be taken with a basic troops choice. The squad of them isn't worth the time or FoC, really.

Skyrays are nice. Give them a far-back place, backing the edge of the board, and make it as cheap as possible. In conjunction with a few marker drones on Stealths, they will be a horrifying presence.

Crisis suits are sent from Heaven. 'nuff said.

Ethreals can actually be useful. Think of using a SM Chaplain without the one-trackedness on assault. Where he's needed most, he can go, joining a squad and making them almost fearless. Not to mention the Honour Guard. These babies can really turn the tide of battle. And who says they're a living target? Thanks to the IC rules, they need never be targeted.

'el or 'o...?
    'o. Definately 'o. The BS increasing upgrade may be cheaper, but isn't hardwired, so you are giving up a weapon or support system. I think it's worth paying an extra 10pts or so to be able to have 2 guns AND a shield Gen with an extra wound.

I may be making a list in the near future... I hope it works out.

Last edited by <E!_Mance>; July 3rd, 2007 at 07:37.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=<E!_Mance>;959413][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][B]The[FONT=Comic Sans MS] Tried & True format for the Tau is all nice and good. I will not deny it. But I can't help but pry into and try to make a different use for the units avaliable.

Quote Originally Posted by <E!_Mance> View Post
    Why spend 140-160pts on a Hammerhead when for the same price you can have 2 Brioadsides? Lack of support, anything with S7+ can take down a Broadside no problemo, and they need to stay still to fire...
    Because hammerheads have somethings broadsides don't, like the submunition round and superior manuoverability, after all, that's what the Tau do best.

They have the same S weapon as the Dark Reapers minus the range but plus maneuverability. They have a good Initiative and will nicely take down the MEQs if they get the charge (except the ICs, as is to be expected).
    Vespid = Support unit IMO. They stay back, waiting for the inevitable argument-proving assault unitto come rolling up to charge the broadsides, then jump forth, firing their guns, then dive into the enemy and lock them up for a turn. They don't cost nearly as much as other Jump infantry for the squad size, and the locking is effective for enemy lines to be blocked up.

I have no use for these either.

Stealths. They are nice, but the Piranhas have the same weaponry + 2 drones each.
    5 Stealths can be shot down with a relative ease with their unaugmented T and 1 wound each. They can offset this by being hard to see, and gaining cover saves, and JSJ... But Piranhas pack the same punch and move like crazy, only get hit on 6s, and only get glancing hits. If 1 is immbolilsed, it dies should the rest of the unit move, ohnoes, boo hoo. 2 possible chances to die out of 6 after another 1/6 chance to actually be hit. The other ones merely slow them down or stop them hitting so hard.
    Compare this to the 'get hit and then wounded 1 time to die' and you have a keeper. The extra 20pts or so pays for the drones that can pin.

They are quite the danger. The infiltrating ability is , especially if used right. Deploy behind or in cover, then JSJ the enemy from word go. Gaining power in range and cover for when the enemy tries to remove you, so you take less casualties. In doing so, they take some pressure off the other units you have advancing. If you give them a few Marker drones you have turn 1 seeker missiles coming to the enemy.
    Piranha can be a powerful force but they are much more fragile than a squad of stealth. Being a skimmer has nothing to do with being shot at and only being hit on 6s. The low AV on these guys means bolter fire can take them out. Pinning drones never works for me, my opponents always pass their LD tests. This is a nice bonus to talk about but it certainly can't be counted on. Plus stealth strike first in CC because of their fields.

Fire warriors are still capable of being an assault force... of sorts. This is only actually feasible against low-S, low-size, and/or low-I enemies, but it's still a laugh. Arm a full squad with Pulse Carbines and rush them up as fast as you can, the enemy assaulters with that good ol' pin gun. Pathfinders are good for this too, as if you couldn't tell. Thing is that Pathfinders can also sit back after their scout move and act as a support battery for the advancing Firewarriors. Just move the Devilfish foreward as an assault. The Tau at full strength could fire 12 S5 pinning blows, with any drones possibly doing the same, then making 24-27 attacks on the charge - not too shabby -. 3 Fish in a mobile formation can be frustrating for the enemy, up to 21 S5 attacks at range per turn isn't something to ignore.
    This is a great way to get rid of a ton of those pesky fire warriors. Seriously, I don't think you took into account inititaive. FWs will strike last almost all the time, so those 24-27 attacks are reduced to 12 or even 8. Then they will probably hitting on 4s and wounding on 5s.

Kroot are useful as a counter-assault and infiltrating unit. They'll deploy after the enemy close infiltrators of at all possible, and will form walls in front of any precious comoddities you have, forcing the enemy to go through the slavering masses of hungry, hungry, hippos.
    I agree whole heartedly

Gun Drones aren't really woth it, you can get them for free with Piranhas, they can be aded to all of the vehicles, and can be taken with a basic troops choice. The squad of them isn't worth the time or FoC, really.
    I disagree, gun drone are absolutly worth their points, they are a great harrasment unit, no they won't kill huge numbers of anything but they can tie up some shooty type units for a couple turns, and they are cheap.

Ethreals can actually be useful. Think of using a SM Chaplain without the one-trackedness on assault. Where he's needed most, he can go, joining a squad and making them almost fearless. Not to mention the Honour Guard. These babies can really turn the tide of battle. And who says they're a living target? Thanks to the IC rules, they need never be targeted.
    Honor guard turning the tide of battle? Hardly, they are only two models, two models that aren't even that good at CC. If you take an HG you lose IC status.

'el or 'o...?
    'o. Definately 'o. The BS increasing upgrade may be cheaper, but isn't hardwired, so you are giving up a weapon or support system. I think it's worth paying an extra 10pts or so to be able to have 2 guns AND a shield Gen with an extra wound.
    'el all the way. Yes the extra wound and invul save might be nice but if you use IC status correctly you shouldn't be shot in the first place.

I can't wait to see it, these are some interesting ideas, the list should prove to be interesting as well. You are right on track with some of this stuff but the some of it is way off base. Tau should never be in CC, kroot OK they can hang, but they will die, they are made to slow done the enemy not win combat outright.

P.S. your font is very difficult to read.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Otsego

Bolters don't kill AV11, which is a Piranhas front 90 degree arc. If you can't use that to effectively stop bolters from downing your Piranha's then you have no business using them.

And I do realize that when they close to strike their lower range weapon often means you have no choice in the matter.

But honestly, at that point they have made their attack and sunk a dangerous piece of ordinance that would insta kill your crisis suits, or that nasty Jump Chaplain or DP who was about to walk through your line.

Now, I don't know about you, but last I checked vehicles were immune to morale tests, and skimmers were nearly immune to Close Combat. Since their speed and front AV11 make them reasonably immune to regular infantry weapons as well, where do you get that they are more vulnerable than stealth suits? Besides if you use their drones to possibly pin then charge and tie up a nearby unit, that is one(or even 2 in extraordinary circumstance when pin works then charge a different unit) less unit shooting at them. Additionally, running them in units of two means both have to be killed in order for you opponent to get VP's.

And I don't think he was advocating not using Vespid, only saying they should be reserve forces used in emergencies.

Tactical Avante-Gard <E!_Mance>'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x6)

Yes, I did take into Consideration the low Initiative for Tau, this is why I said to do it to weak and/or slow enemies. That is still an unprecedented thing, and it locks them up for a bit at the very least.

Vespid do work as Broadside support. Take Broadsides and Vespid. You'll see that it is a viable thing if used right.

Gun Drones as 'fast' attack is stupid. 4-8 of them in a unit is a waste of a FoC slot IMO. You could make the Piranhas or Vespid, both actually fast, take their place, and thus do something worthwhile. As I said before. 1 Troops choice can have 4 of the things included in the unit, why waste a Fast attack space for that to double that?

Broadsides cannot use submunition, true. But one can give them plasma and it is all good for MEQ . They can have up to 3 hitting the enemy as opposed to a single Hammerhead. Maneuverability doesn't matter overly much of you just know how to place them right. Making the enemy heavy armour hide away and staying ineffective can be worth it on its own.

Assault units aren't too fearsome to Tau if you can coutner them properly. move your counter-units into JUST over 12" away from jump infantry and they have 2 choices, don't assault or assault the weaklings. The vespid will die, but they will have given casualties and kept the broadsides open. If the Chappy and his squad utterly kill the Vespid 11, so frikin what? 381pts of Marines I'm assuming 130-somethingpts of Vespid... No, really? In 1 turn they die, and the enemy is open for Broadside guns. If they aren't teeming with pwn you can charge them and take a brunt. in 2 rounds you die and it's your turn again anyway.

One must learn to guage one's targets properly of course, but I assumed this was known.
    Last edited by <E!_Mance>; July 3rd, 2007 at 07:39.
    Post your army lists in the ARMY LIST section! Not that hard!
    48W/7D/11L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Nice ideas E!_Mance. Go out and buy some Tau have plays some games. I think you'll like tau. Then come back and post your thoughts, as you now have credible experience to back your points (which is always a bonus).
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I did take into Consideration the low Initiative for Tau, this is why I said to do it to weak and/or slow enemies. That is still an unprecedented thing, and it locks them up for a bit at the very least.
    Who is slower and weaker than a fire warrior on foot? No matter who the taget unit is, you are better off rapid firing, taking a charge the next turn, and except the losses. You will kill far more enemies with pulse rifles firing then pulse rifles swinging.

Vespid do work as Broadside support. Take Broadsides and Vespid. You'll see that it is a viable thing if used right.
    I don't doubt it, I use kroot and hounds in the same fashion to help protect my broadsides.

Gun Drones as 'fast' attack is stupid. 4-8 of them in a unit is a waste of a FoC slot IMO. You could make the Piranhas or Vespid, both actually fast, take their place, and thus do something worthwhile. As I said before. 1 Troops choice can have 4 of the things included in the unit, why waste a Fast attack space for that to double that?
    Stupid? Come on you can do better than that. A pair of piranha equipped with the usuals and seekers, like you mentioned earlier, is twice the cost of 8 gun drones and vespid are nearly double. I'm not debating the fact that one is better than another. Just don't automatically write off gun drones, they are a good unit if used properly. I have tied up a lot of units with these guys, devastators, tac squads with heavy weapons, obliterators, even the mighty wraith lord. Granted they never won any of those battles but they didn't have to, they tied them up for a turn or two which can make a huge difference and they are under 100 pts.

Broadsides cannot use submunition, true. But one can give them plasma and it is all good for MEQ . They can have up to 3 hitting the enemy as opposed to a single Hammerhead. Maneuverability doesn't matter overly much of you just know how to place them right. Making the enemy heavy armour hide away and staying ineffective can be worth it on its own.
    True, almost, two broadsides are about the cost of a HH not three. I guess if you are hunting MEQs, with one of the best antitank weapons out there, plasma would be the way to go. I, for one, try to keep the cost of my units down which helps with models count. Most units should have only one roll to play, equipe them for that purpose so they can perform at their peak is the way to go. Same reason why missile launchers and flamers don't belong together on crisis.
    Maneuverablility does matter, espcially for heavies. As you know, heavy FOC slots are placed first on the table so placing them right, when nothing else is on the table, is more of a guessing game than anything else. Mobility helps to counter the handicap of being placed first on the board. And yes, shutting down firing lanes with broadsides has been pretty effective for me. Right now I run with two HHs and a pair of broadsides.

Assault units aren't too fearsome to Tau if you can coutner them properly. move your counter-units into JUST over 12" away from jump infantry and they have 2 choices, don't assault or assault the weaklings. The vespid will die, but they will have given casualties and kept the broadsides open. If the Chappy and his squad utterly kill the Vespid 11, so frikin what? 381pts of Marines I'm assuming 130-somethingpts of Vespid... No, really? In 1 turn they die, and the enemy is open for Broadside guns. If they aren't teeming with pwn you can charge them and take a brunt. in 2 rounds you die and it's your turn again anyway.
    Properly countering a fast moving threat like assault marines starts with firepower applied as soon as I have LOS. The faster an enemy moves, the higher the threat level. I actually like it when someone plops down a unit or two of assault marines. They usually advance them too fast and they become seperated from the main force, which makes them easier targets, and then I have three or four turns to pick apart the rest of their army.
    I don't exactly understand the second half here. Are you suggesting assaulting assault marines, with a chaplain, with broadsides? It won't take two turns to die.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the O/'El thing, go for an EL and give it a targeting array. 15 pts. cheaper, same BS, perfect!

No vespids. They look excellent on paper, but a unit of firewarriors will kill more meq's rapidfiring than vespids will, and if in a devilfish won't get charged and are as mobile.

Pirahnas, erm, well I dunno how much I like these yet.

I never really take that many leadership tests with my Tau due to all of my models being moving/in tanks. An ethereal is pretty redundant in a bad way for me, so I like the points in a squad of crisis suits.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by israfel420 View Post
    @Otsego

Bolters don't kill AV11, which is a Piranhas front 90 degree arc. If you can't use that to effectively stop bolters from downing your Piranha's then you have no business using them.

And I do realize that when they close to strike their lower range weapon often means you have no choice in the matter.

But honestly, at that point they have made their attack and sunk a dangerous piece of ordinance that would insta kill your crisis suits, or that nasty Jump Chaplain or DP who was about to walk through your line.

Now, I don't know about you, but last I checked vehicles were immune to morale tests, and skimmers were nearly immune to Close Combat. Since their speed and front AV11 make them reasonably immune to regular infantry weapons as well, where do you get that they are more vulnerable than stealth suits? Besides if you use their drones to possibly pin then charge and tie up a nearby unit, that is one(or even 2 in extraordinary circumstance when pin works then charge a different unit) less unit shooting at them. Additionally, running them in units of two means both have to be killed in order for you opponent to get VP's.

And I don't think he was advocating not using Vespid, only saying they should be reserve forces used in emergencies.
    No not AV 11, but the side and rear armor is vulnerable and, like you said you have to get close to use them. So if you get back to a bassie, or some such thing, you are now deep in enemy territory and most likely exposing your weaker sides. Using them this way is suicidal, which is fine, but I try to follow the fluff about how Tau life is precious and all that jazz, which is why I don't mind sending in drones for suicide missions.

Piranha are nearly immune to CC I'll give you that, unless of course you run into something that uses the rending rule or a powerfist or a MC. However, there are a very large number of ranged weaponery that will easily take these guys down. Since they are a unit of two, as little as two shots can bring down the whole thing. I believe when deploying the gundrones all four would become a single unit don't they? Plus they are open topped, so you'll be adding a 1 to each glance roll, and heaven forbid they get hit with template or blast weapon.

edit-
    Oh, and who ever gave me negative rep for stating I don't know what I'm talking about and running without signing, thanks. Whatever you do, please don't give me a chance to defend my position, just nail me with -rep and hide.
    /sarcasm off
    Last edited by Otsego; July 3rd, 2007 at 23:45.

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

The Tried & True format for the Tau is all nice and good. I will not deny it. But I can't help but pry into and try to make a different use for the units avaliable.

They are quite the danger. The infiltrating ability is , especially if used right. Deploy behind or in cover, then JSJ the enemy from word go. Gaining power in range and cover for when the enemy tries to remove you, so you take less casualties. In doing so, they take some pressure off the other units you have advancing. If you give them a few Marker drones you have turn 1 seeker missiles coming to the enemy, .

Skyrays are nice. Give them a far-back place, backing the edge of the board, and make it as cheap as possible. In conjunction with a few marker drones on Stealths, they will be a horrifying presence.

Crisis suits are sent from Heaven. 'nuff said.

'el or 'o...?

I agree with alot of what you have said, although theres a few things I wouldnt agree with. Sure, two broadsides are good, and could potentially kill more vehicles than the hammerhead a turn, but more often then not, people take the hammerhead for the ability of the submunitions and the moveability. To move and fire, the broadsides need A.A.S, and even then, the movement could be a whole 1 inch.

I agree with how you use the Vespid, I use mine in a simliar manner. Have them wait for the right opportunity, then come in blazing with S5 Ap3 weaponry, wiping out a fair few numbers, and then hold the squad up while other squads move into position to kill any enemies who make it out of the combat.

I would take stealths over piranhas any day. I find that the piranhas get shot down too easy. Whereas the stealths have the stealth field, plus the JSJ. Sure, the piranhas are fast, and will mostly take glancing hits, but against a dark eldar army full of dark lances, or even eldar, they dont stand a chance.

I tend not to use my firewarriors like that, although I do remember once where my lone firewarrior Shas'Ui beat the crap out of a Catachan Captain or watever they are, and forced them to flee, and he actually caught up with them. Luckiest things thats ever happened to me in close combat

Kroot I agree with.

However, I beleive gun drones are great. They are good squads to sacrifice to hold up charges or send down the flanks. Even deepstriking them into enemy lines, your opponent will have to either waste a turn shooting them, or let them sit there and pin you down with pulse carbine fire. They are good for drawing fire.

Skyray and Crisis suits, I totally agree. Crisis suits are the best thing about tau, one of the reasons I started playing them.

Ethereals are great, I use them to give my army a bit of a leadership boost, plus BS 4 firewarriors...mmmmmm!!!

As for 'O or 'El, I beleive it comes down to personal preference, alot of people would argue the point that 'Els are better, goes the same for 'Os.
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

+ Reply to Thread