Stealer Army, Effective? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stealer Army, Effective?

Just wondering how effective a pure genestealer army with broodlord as HQ is? Is it more effective at certain point limits for battles and useless for other point limits? Anyone with experience on this plz let me know.

40k Record W-L-T
    Soul Reapers Necrons 8-14-2 Hive Fleet Behemoth Tyranids 21-7-1 Raven Guard Marines 12-6-5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its alright but the main problem is long range anti-tank because Genestealers just wont cut it.
    "They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Once you make it to combat your ok, but you'll still need some sniperfexes to take down tanks otherwise you'll likely lose most of your genestealers on there way to combat.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i Have heard allot of bad stories about Pure stealer armies, and im not suprised, any Army thats a 1 tick pony will allways come up against problems, one of the Tyranids biggest strengths is the ability to adapt and the pure stealer army doesnt really have the depth to do this.
    Last edited by Hivefleet Hades; July 3rd, 2007 at 20:35.
    Army of the heavens, my army waits in hell
    To battle on the earth, for all the souls who fell

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Stealers and ONLY stealers is a really tough army. Lack of numbers will be your downfall.

Though, I've been considering a stealer and lictor army, which I think may do "better".

The best stealer themed army I've ever played against was stealer-zilla.

Flyrant, broodlord for HQs.
    Two or three Carnifexes tooled out to shoot.
    Fill in the rest of points with genestealers.
    Yuck.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Everyone else has it right on. If you play all stealers you will dominate armies that want to get into hand to hand, and frequently armies that stand and shoot. Any army with mobility will eat you up, as well as any skimmer heavy list.

I don't think numbers are the problem at all. If you max out on stealers 72 troops (about 1150 points) and a brood lord with a full retinue (about 275 more points) you have 84 models in 1425 points. That is pretty decent. if you are playing 1750 points that leaves you with 325 points to get two fexes for tank hunting, which I think gives your list the balance to win a lot of games. If you are playing anything over 1500 points you are going to have to get something other than stealers just because of the FOC unless you waste your points on upgrades; and once you have more than 50 stealers the upgrades are wastes (unless you scuttle a couple broods) because some of them will get there carapace or not, and with those numbers the extra attacks you would get from scything talons are unnessesary because of the shear size of your force.

Really just make sure you have something to take down tanks, skimmers, and fast heavy weapons--otherwise something as lame (not that they are bad, just that losing to one unit would make me cry if it were only three guys) an attack bike squadron could wipe most of your force out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak View Post
    Stealers and ONLY stealers is a really tough army. Lack of numbers will be your downfall.

Though, I've been considering a stealer and lictor army, which I think may do "better".

The best stealer themed army I've ever played against was stealer-zilla.

Flyrant, broodlord for HQs.
    Two or three Carnifexes tooled out to shoot.
    Fill in the rest of points with genestealers.
    Yuck.

#'s are not a probelm at all. a 2000pt list of stealers with broodlord can pull off the maxed out 84 stealers possible. the only trouble this list has is with skimmer heavy lists, and 2+ monolith necrons. a local guy rolls this army from time to time and its evil, he has some scuttling, more then half with carapace, and a nasty broodlord group. muchos #'s, ability to kill anything (sans the lith and of course troubles with skimmers, the reason why those are the 2 tough lists for this army).

an 'all stealer' list does better then a lot of you guys seem to think. an attack bike squadron will not wipe you out. i've seen landspeeders and jetbikes and normal bikes get and everything in between get overwhelmed in a tide of gnashing claws. is it unbeatable? absolutely not. is it viable? absolutely. would you be better off with a few sniperfexes? most likely (not that there is *any* reliable way for nids to take out skimmers), but all stealers is doable.
    Last edited by trojandrew; July 7th, 2007 at 22:15.

+ Reply to Thread