Hive Mind in danger! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hive Mind in danger!

Greetings Tyranidians {goofy}

I currently have a big tactical issue.

A friend of mine is playing a Sisters army with some daemonhunters in it.
    not too big a deal but his new list features some anti psychker crossbows.

hit on 2+ wound same I thought. don't know the exact stats but they scared me.

now this works on psychkers meaning each and every synapse creature I have.

Normally I field a flyrant, brood of warriors for synapse which usually works out.
    Now with these Xbows he would take out my tyrant with ease and that would leave the thermagaunt meatshield fairly useless.

So i'm in a bit of a pickle.

my suggestion to counter this was to take a brood of raveners and hit his sister squads like they stole my cookies.
    then again he has those Xbows in all 3 squads.
    2 Troops Sob's and a witchhunter+retinue
    So he will direct firepower to my Tyrant most likely

Any suggestions ?
    the game will be a 400 ptns or 500 ptns game
    my units available
    8 Thermagaunts
    18 Fleshborergaunts
    3 CC warriors
    Flyrant
    SniperFex
    3x Raveners (rending)
    6 genestealers

Hive Fleet Lucanus : 2000 points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Sisters armies, his included, are heavily range-limited. Put a venom cannon and barbed strangler + toxin sacs on your hive tyrant, field some foddergaunts and a couple raveners to stretch out your force selections, and back away from him while pelting his small #'s with barbed stranglers and venom cannons.

If you really wanna have fun w/ him, go mega cheap on like 16 spinegaunts to make your list legal, and instead of raveners put another barbed strangler or venom cannon on your warrior squad.

He's tailoring his list to you if he's putting crossbows on every vet sis or inquisitor. Return the favor by using a bunch of 36" range shots and backing away from his footsloggers every turn.

Also, check the rules on the stake-crossbow. For some reason I feel like it's a combi-weapon, so he can only shoot it once per, which means 3 shots for the entire game. I could be totally wrong, though - I don't have my witchhunters book in front of me at work.

I also want to say it hits like normal - based on ballistic skill, but that still means a 3+ or maybe even a 2+ for the inquis depending on his retinue. The long and short is that this means a MAXIMUM of 3 wounds on your synapse creatures before you get the charge in, as long as you're smart about how you move. So even if you don't out-range him, I don't get why this is a problem. It's not like it can insta-kill any of your warriors or anything.
    Last edited by MVBrandt; July 5th, 2007 at 14:33.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait wait , Wait!

It's CANT INSTA-KILL ? he told me it could

well jippy-ka-jeih Tyranid rush ftw
    back to regular tactics with him.
    Only threat he could pose now would be his Immolator tank. that thing is a tyranid BBQ on wheels

Hive Fleet Lucanus : 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the SoB player speaking,

thought I'd clear some things up

The crossbow IS a combi weapon, but it's an assault 2 weapon, giving me 6 crossbow shots in total. The inquisitor will be shooting at 2+ to hit and reroll (2 sages) and 2+ to wound (no saves allowed). Furthermore, since the squads will be shooting at the tyrant, and the xbows range is 24'', there will be bolter and heavy bolter fire directed as well.

I never said the weapon would insta kill, only that I have more shots than the tyrant has wounds.

Hope this clears up any confusion to my tactics.

Greetings,
    SuB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

1) Why aren't you popping the Immolator on turn 1 with your Carnifex? Statistically it is guaranteed to glance it with the venom cannon every turn, and the strangler can actually pen it. The glance will at least render the immolator incapable of firing its flamers, so ... ya.

2) 6 stake-crossbow shots are still just 6 shots. If he's going to tailor his list to you, again just play a 36"'er and back away. Heavy bolters don't do all that much to TMCs, which is where most of your points should be in tailoring a list to match his tailor.

If you really want to screw with him, you could also try 2 squads of 3 naked ripper swarms, 3 2 TL devourer + enhanced senses dakkafexes and hide 3 warriors cheap barebones warriors behind the dakkas. He can't shoot at what he can't see, and his army won't have an answer for 3 T6W4 3+ save big gribblies.

You could also throw a ton of spinegaunts at him, backed up by a sniperfex and some cheap warrior synapse units. Spinegaunts rock sisters ... twin-linked shots that re-roll misses and wound 'em on 4+, coupled with a higher initiative and identical weapon skill in melee for less than half the points of each target unit.

I hate to be so critical, but I'm personally a person who thinks custom-tailoring a list to kill someone is stupid, pointless, and very unsportsmanlike. I'm quite proud to use the same list over and over and over again, while inviting people to custom-tailor, and winning every time anyway. There are no uber-omg-it's-gonna-kill-me weapons in the game.

Besides, spending loads of points on one-time-use items in a 500 point game is just plain unintelligent.
    Last edited by MVBrandt; July 5th, 2007 at 15:20.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, at this point I only have 2 opponents (blood angels and tyranids) and limited models, so it's adept or die. I know custom tailoring will eventually run out of usefullness.

But as it is, it's my only means of survival.

Anyway, I value the input of an experienced player allot and it's nice to hear some "expert" thoughts on our little clash .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

If it is of any value, I play SoB as well. I've about 2600 points if I put every model down on the table, but I'm not all that used to playing them yet. I've put in only about 10 games.

That being said, they are extremely versatile and useful I've found, and their cheapness + the availability of allies means there's a lot of flexibility there. You can put a LOT of models and a LOT of firepower on the table.

Their weakness is that their biggest hitting shots are very short-ranged. Rapid fire boltering w/ divine guidance + meltas and flamers are where it's at, but against nids you're going to take a charge in return. It makes for a tough call on how to proceed.

That being said, I'd consider a list using more models and less upgrades. Until you get more units, proxy your way around model limitations ... it's not exactly anathema, especially when you're still getting into it. It's a great way to figure out what you want and what works.

You'll also find that if you build a solid list, it'll work out better for you than custom-tailoring, and will win more friends. While I revel in demolishing custom-tailoring jackasses (not saying you are a jackass) in 3 turns and moving along to a more pleasant opponent, I certainly don't go back seeking game 2 w/ the tailors.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree ^^^

Personaly I hate it when people custom tailor there armys to your spacific strengths and weeknesses, but I don't see anything wrong with paying and cutting on points to take different biomorphs and such. I mean if your facing a force with alot of rockets with AP3, then why not get some extended carapace and put that on some of your bigger models so your not letting your adversary get thouse insta wounds on you.

Generaly I play against the space marrines more than anyone else. Sence I live in a small town me and my crew gota travel an hour n' 1/2 to get to any shops to play against a lot of people. My crew consisting of 1 vet marrine player, 1 blood angels player, another marine play, a necron player, and a tao player. So for me I can't help focus my army to be pritty good at killing off space marines, wich generaly works on anyone, I've never had any isue killing anyone but space marines. although this is concidering my buddy brings a 750 - 900 pts termy HQ ... that is nearly unstopable.

In anycase, I sapose your army list is depended on the situation. If your used to playing against a variety of things, then a general army will work just fine, and you'll have alot of fun, but thats not to say you can have a little fun and throw something that will put a big old thorn in there side.
    Hive Fleet Toraques:3000 pts and growing
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln View Post
    Tyranids are so pumped up with the power of their psychic connection to the Hive Mind that they sustain horrific wounds... except for some psychic weapon, which is apparently stronger than the collective consciousness of the entre Tyranid species! =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my 2 cents..it does sound like the reason your having problems is because you opponent is Heavily tailoring his army to match your specific units. This is widely considerd the signs of a bad player. Sure Picking a strong army list is perfectly fine and changing a unit or two now and again for a change is often very healthy and keeps things unpredicatble.

It just sounds to me like SoB player is going Anti Nid in every aspect he can, but even worse he is picking stuff to specifically kill stuff in your list. You pretty much have few options here as the other vets have mentiond.

1/ Avoid playing the guy (not really recommended)

2/ Tailor your own list with lots of sniper fex's and fight the guy on an even level, keeping the fight at long range (semi recommended) Also get a cheapo carnifex stick it infront of your flyrant untill its in assualt range, remember MCs block LOS

3/ If your in a gaming group, try and get everyone to stick to one army list, Tourny style, set a challenge who can come up with the best allround list, Its a challenge most generals will want to take up as it usually proves whos the best Tactically (fully recommended)

Remember allot of people dont see the evilness in tailoring there armies, so it may need explaining, it depends on your gaming group, but usually Gaming groups that allow people to freely tailor before a battle often Erupt into worldwar 3 cheese fests! games become short, nasty affairs and no one wants that
    Army of the heavens, my army waits in hell
    To battle on the earth, for all the souls who fell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The battle has been played, my crossbow shots turned out to be enough to put down the Tyrant in round one and generaly provided me the victory.

There's allot of talk about custom tailoring though in a way, my list today doesn't really differ from the list I'll be using against the Blood Angels player. Of course I'll bring a couple power-swords to by-pass his +3 saves (and I can expect to face powersword myself) and I'll be dropping the crossbows in return. Of course I'm switching the heavy flamers on my immolator. I'll shift some weight around in my list to patch up my weaknesses against marine power.

In the end, having roughly 30 points custom tailored on 500pt, is that really all that bad?

The previous battle against his niddies I lost because his Hive Tyrant got into close combat. Although the first half of the battle was clearly in my favour it turned around very quickly, even a squad of Grey Knights will be send packing if it's facing a Tyrant up close. To me, it's pure logic for me to take something to counter his big-bad-bug-hq.

And if I was forced to use one static list for every battle, I'd mix in my tailored options and I'd still have some resistance against any though nuts to crack.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast