Swooping Hawks. What is the strat+a counter? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swooping Hawks. What is the strat+a counter?

My friend is really, really, really, bragging about this new swooping hawk strategy he learnt online.. I'm not quite sure which one, but he says it's uber good. When I asked him what it is, he won't tell me... Which is why I'm here.

So, what's some strategies done with Swooping Hawks? What's a good Tau counter?

I have 1 broadside, 1 hammerhead, 1 crisis(hq), pathfinder squad, tons of gun drones, 3 stealth suits and an ethereal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Inquisitorial Aspirant librisrouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

He's probably refering to using an Exarch to get them in reliably and just poping them up and down, dropping grenades each time. The strategy works well against Tau, which is probably why he's so thrilled.
    'An open mind is like a fortress with its walls unguarded and its gates wide open' -Blood Ravens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

You're probably better off asking this in the Eldar forum, but:

While I haven't played against the new Hawks, i've heard about them.

They can buy an ability that let's them jump back off the board, and then Deep Strike again next turn, with their Grenade packs firing off another shot. I believe there was some argument about when they jumped back up, some people believing they could basically do it right after they Deep Struck (ie down and up in the same movement phase, only thing to acknowledge thier appearance being the grenades dropped on someone's head), and other people believing they should wait until the next movement phase.

The former interpretation means that they can basically never be shot at, and can then drop down on Turn 6 to claim objectives.

The other tactic he may be thinking of is taking their Exarch skill that lets them hit all vehiecles on a 4+ in close combat, including skimmers. This is useful for them because they carry Haywire grenades, which can really mess up vehicles in a big way.

There may be some more complex tactic that he intends to use, but I imagine it will be based off one of those two abilities. I don't think the uber-Hawk exarch from the last edition is still possible (the one with sustained attack that never stopped hitting).

Best bet is to go onto the Eldar forum and see what they've got to tell you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kay, thank you... Man, the tactic is really cheap...

I posted it here originally because it has to do with Tau counter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Smart Missile System on your tanks...they shouldnt be allowed to come down and leave...so he has to stay on the board for a turn of your shooting, often times out of LOS. Well...SMS is a great way to homo them over cause they can hide from it...and i think their save is the same as the ap (not sure). Other wise, if your playing mech just hide your fire warriors in the DF...then theres nothing juicy to grenade. Lots of times ive played games where my fire warriors didnt touch the ground. other wise just eat it, make sure your squishies are in cover...and then watch him cry as the rest of his army (hopfully) gets obliterated...

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what I've seen when my eldar playing mate uses his swooping hawks they can drop in use their grenade packs and then jump back out. although i think that this is frowned upon by most eldar players as being a bad sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Yeah, it seems that the RAW allow the eldar player to "rubber-bounce", as they deepstrike, and then can be removed in the movement phase.

Eventually, however, they do have to land (objective claiming or scared to roll that "1" for reserves and lose all of those VPs), and when they do land, they are simply 4+ space elves, and won't last long.

They scare me more in that they are jump infantry, fleet, and have haywire grenades. So long hammerhead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

this is a double post (frowns) but to duplicate my response as an eldar player, yoyo hawks are as you point out, frowned upon by most eldar players and being bad sportsmanship, and worse still are arguably illegal - if you deep strike you cant move (BR and so you cant use skyleap on the turn you deep strike, but that is open to zarguements on whether skyleap is movement . expect FAQ to close it down (probably opptimistic on track record of FAQs)

other obvious one is tank hunting with intercept and haywire, but hawks are easy to kill, despite the fast move, you can probably rip them appart with ease, I would have though burst cannon piranha squadron would put the fear of god in to him

of course the ultimate answer to yoyo hawks woudl be a baracuda, moving and shooting during his turn will solve the problem
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

If you reckon that your Eldar friend with his Boing-ing Hawks is liable at some stage to have a go with the Haywires at your Hammerhead, just take a set of Flechettes with you. That can be very funny - the vehicle gets to go first, gets to try to hit everyone in the "engaged" zone since your opponent will be wanting to get as many models in there as possible, and then once he has lost a few Hawks he still has to try to hit you on a 4+. Basically you are lowering the odds all the time in your favour with the FDs.

I had a great laugh seeing my opponent's face when that happened to him. He hadn't played Mech Tau before...heh heh!

And Cheredanine - you're just evil, using a Barracuda!!

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Ummm who cares if he wants to assault your tanks...he doesnt need 4's to hit, he needs 6's, always. Not matter what even if you just stood still he will need 6's to hit you in cc, so he may only get 1 hit...well if you moved the previous turn, then its only a glance...Even then its unlikely youll blow up...so now your free to gun them down at will.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast