monoliths a requirement? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

monoliths a requirement?

It seems everyone takes one at 1500 pts+.

Can a necron player win without a monolith at higher point levels consistently?

Reason I ask is several players at my club say that the monolith is cheesy...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely! In fact, I think some would argue that you are more likely to win without the Monolith. Certain armies can destroy monoliths relatively easily (compared to their high point-cost), like Tau and other Necrons. Necrons certainly have other units that would certainly be well worth the additional expenditure (like Immortals, Destroyers, Scarabs, and of course, more Warriors).

Note: Monoliths are not cheesy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monoliths are cheesy to people who don't take the time to learn how Necrons work. And, to be honest, if a player can't take the time to learn how their enemies' army works, then they deserve to lose consistently.

Try swapping armies with them, and see if you still beat them.
    Dark Eldar: Showing the Chaos gods how to do evil properly since 1998.

Borrowed DH Combat Patrol 1W/0D/0L
    Dark Eldar 1W/0D/3L (partially assembled)
    Necron 1W/0D/0L (I got my 'Crons back!)

Moo is my new personal hero. Click Undefeated Dark Eldar and DE? Good you say? to learn why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Mate, I always finish top 10 and have one podium finish so far this year and I never field a monolith at tourneys.

In fact at the second last tourney i went to there where four Necron players there and i was the only one without a Monolith and the only one to finish in the top half of the draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

well real fast, they are a requirement if you want beyond 2 squads of warriors, i bieleve.......it says that somewhere...right?
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with the monolith is that it is not really an offensive weapon unless you get lucky with the particle whip. Ideally, you could use it to suck a unit out of hth and rapid fire, but in practice I haven't had much luck with it used that way. A chaos player I played brought a Predator with three lascannons, an obliterator, and at least three missle launchers. He immobilized it on turn 1 and ignored it thereafter. It never came close to making back its points.

The reason it isn't cheesy is that it has no long range, high strength and AP weapon with which to threaten tanks, so it will be at risk from that triple lascannon Predator without being able to threaten it in turn. I've wondered if a Lord on a Destroyer body and a bunch of scarabs wouldn't be more effective. They'd certainly do better at taking out units.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. July 11th, 2007, 22:34