Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Okay, so I've played the Imperium for a good long while now and I am VERY intrigued by the Eldar, they have proved time and time againt o be my most intriguing and versatile foes. So her eis my question(s)
I have bougth both the Eldar,a nd Craft Wordl Eldar Codex'es to start out with-
I also have, though various means...and yes I know I can't use it all but some is for modeling only..I have
20 Guardian Defenders (Shuriken Catapult guys)
15 Howling Banshees
8 Warp Spiders
5 Wraith Guard
5 Dark Reapers
8 Fire Dragons
7 Swooping Hawks
8 Striking Scorpions
2 War Walkers
So I think I can go any way I want with the army I field. Now, I need some questions answered...I beg of you Eldar players, that I migth win Glory int he Eldar name!
1: Which Craftworld would you recommend...I liek Biel Tan for their specialtiy troops...but the small Number, yeesh! Also Leaning towards Altaioc
2: Should I go Vanilla Eldar?
3: HEavy support...Grav Tanks or Dark Reapers and Wraithlords? I lean towards Wraithlords
4: I NEED the rules for the Harlequins..back when I played 1st or 2nd edition these guys were my favorite models and army fluff wise. However I need some rules, so that I migth convert and add them to my army. or where I migth find the rules?
5: Pheonix Lords...is it me or do they get shafted int he Statlines and Wargear for being the apparent Final foes of Chaos...I mean, there are SPace Marine charries with better stats..and the Pheonix lordsa re immortal!
anyway, Long live the Eldar!
OK Congratulations and well done on aquiring a Wave serpent.
1. OK few people play straight codex eldar, most go for a craftworld, and you have not mentioned EoT codex so I assume you are ommiting Ulthwe Strike Force.
by far the most common Eldar army is Ulthwe, but any craftworld selection can be done for a number of reasons, what sort of army do you want, Biel Tann and Alaitoc are opposite ends of the spectrum one is an assult army and the other is a shooty army, given the figures you mentioned you are far closer to Beil Tann than Alaitoc, if you go for the latter you are going to be buying a load more rangers/pathfinders and not using huge swathes of those aspect warriors
2, Codex Eldar is a good start point for new eldar players, it allows you to test various eldar units and decide which you like, it is generally used as a precursor to deciding which craftworld to play, since the aspect warriors use the same ish colour scheme in any craftworld, these dont change but you can have paining problems with Gaurdians etc. If you have been around the mill with imperial forces, then I would suggest what style of army you want to play and what sort of player you are, do so honestly and we can give you advice, for example I have played ulthwe for 20 years and to start with I was a power gamer, I am now playing Siam Hann, I have got older and mellowed so my siam hann list has loads of bikes in it and is fluffy and a triumph of syle over substance - it losses quite easily but it looks damn good doing it, wheras 10 years ago, if I was creating a Siam Hann army I would have loaded it with Vypers and not bothered with bikes
3. try em all and see what you like, The prism tank is IMHO the worse of the eldar HS, I really dont like either wraith lords or dark reapers cost they dont really fit with my armies style but both are very powerfull, particularly if you canget more wave serpents for the reapers. Do not underestimate Heavy weapons platforms, both D cannon and V cannon are devestating. I would suggest you try out each one,you have figures for both, if the wraith lords have star cannon then they will have a similkar effect, the reapers will probably shoot better but the wraithlord has the close combat edge, on the other hand if the wraith lord has a bright lance it is far better at vehicel hunting. The falcon is not a bad choice but is a little duplicitous - are you standing back and shooting or are you zooming up at full speed to offload troops - you can do both at the same time and whichever you do you tend to regret not doing the other
4. there is a list on the GW web site
5. The pheonix lords are imortal, but they are imortal by virtue of reincanation - i.e. each time a pheonix lord dies another exarch becomes that pheonix lord.
Everything you have been told is a lie!
hey good luck with your army and well done for turning your bac on the imperial scum!!!
1) i like playing UlthwÃ© cause the seer council is amazing. However i am thinking of doing biel tan as i'm getting more interested in close combat (lot's of scorps and banshees in wave serpents). Personally i think that altaioc aren't that good, the ranger disruption is ok but more often than not it dosn't make that much difference to the outcome of a game. (though i have seen it backfire and help the nid player).
Really i would get a mixture of all of them and choose whats best for each game.
2) Vanilla eldar are good and i enjoy playing them in normal size (up to about 2500pts). Again just choose whats best against a certian enemy.
3) Personnaly i don't take dark reapers as i like my army to be quite mobile, however they are good. wraithlords are a good investment for the points you pay for them. Falcons are good as you can tune them to be anti-tank or infantry. Fire prisms miss to much for my likeing, so i rarely take them. u might want to think aboout war walkers as well as them can pump out lots of fire.
4) Harlequins can be found at http://uk.games-workshop.com/40kuniverse/w.../harlequins.htm.
5) Yeah the pheonix lords do generaly suck for there points cost.
Thank you for your advice guys, Let it be known however, lol..that I've played agaisnt the eldar ALOT, in fact my first thirty or so games were agaisnt various craftworlds. I have had the COdexes fr alittle over a year and fooeld aorund with several army klistsl army lists, I have the Eye of Terror codex too..just forgot about the Strike force..though I like the idea. I want my Eldar army to Stand up tot he Test of both Fluff and Battle. I am a player that relishes..more so even then the victory...the look on a players face when I am able to spring a VERY devious plot on them...Biel Tan and Altaico both sound the best. I am nmore fan of the shooty than the close Combat...though...The Court of the yougn king sounds good, and by the Same hand The Spear of Khaine for Ulthwe. I have Started painting and modeling...I am Leanign towards Biel Tan or Ulthwe, altaioc I thinkw ill be my slolw army to build upa s I liek to spend LOTS of timeont he Rangers and pathfinders appearences, though I liek to convert My own Rangers from Guardians and Warmhammer Fantasy Wood elves with Green stuff and some cool Fabric for cloaks I've found, shimmers when you look at it, cool for the camelione effect. The SPear of Khaine or the court of the Young King...You guys miss the old Edition Avatar too? I remmber how big a pain int he ass he was to fight...
My Army will mos tlikely be either Biel Tan or Ulthwe,
The Dragons of Biel Tan,
Serpents of Ulthwe
I have many Dragon Bitz from Warhamemr and other lines of miniatures, and all of my mini's get some sort of Dragon form, Ive got a Wraitlord with A Dragons head'skull, and several other pieces Im working on moeling..not painted though yet. I would...liek to try and pull of a No or Ligth vehicle Eldar Army....what do you thuink?
Looking at the list of your models, I'd say definatly go Biel-Tan. Wraithlords and such can be put in there, and you rlack of Guardians isn't a problem. Also, if you decide to play Strike Force; Well, don't. a Vyper and two Warwalkers isn't enough. Good luck with your games, welcome to the fold.
Oh, and most Space Marine Characters don't have the badass abilities of a Pheonix Lord.
<a href='http://www.onpoint-marketing.com/stealth-marketing.htm' target='_blank'>The future of marketing is here! Stealth Marketing!</a>
Wait, you mean that optimism isn't fashionable anymore?!
Lord of Smart-ass Youthimizzles.
Soup's up, bitches!
I have to say as a Biel Tan player that Biel Tan is a great choice for the mix of fluffy and Battle worthy as your fluffy aspect warrior troops and low amonts of guardians typically means you will be doing a lot of damage especially since you have wave serpent to get them in there.I want my Eldar army to Stand up tot he Test of both Fluff and Battle.
If you do play Biel Tan i recommend using the warp spiders with an exarch - they do tremendous amounts of damage to almost any type of unit and with the appropriate terrain can take little or no damage themselves. Also bring in the howling banshee's or Striking Scorpions depending on whether you are playing armor (Sm,Chaos, Necrons or such) or light armor masses (Nids, Imp guard, orks, and such) I personally don't recommend the Falcon or Fire prism they just miss too much, and the Wraithguard are good not only for doing damage in any situation but also because they are major fire magnets which can give your non-transported aspect warriors a break when slogging over to an assault.
So my recommendation is go Biel Tan, but as long as it is Eldar it is good, the only time i see Eldar get whooped is when the person playing them is an idiot and puts their most fragile units in the middle of huge fire zones or tries to tank shock a warboss with a Falcon or some other idiotic feat.
OK if you aint gonna get new models then Pandora is right, go Biel Tann, you lack sufficient Vypersw and walkers for Ulthwe and rangers for Alaitoc.
On the other hand, from the description of the army you want to play - shooty, and if you have free range of buying/trading then I would suggest one of the following:
Ulthwe or USF - loads of Vypers, gaurdians, D Cannon, Walkers, some scouts, a banshee squad to provide support and a seer council
Alaitoc - ok you need to at least tripple the number of rangers you have
Siam Hann - Vyprocity army - take 18 vypers and bob is your uncle
you can also get a reasonably shooty army out of Iyanden but the numbers are small and most of them have a very short range
Everything you have been told is a lie!
Yeah, moneys not that big an object ot me. Iw ill be adding to the army of course, these are jus thte models I have...coem across so far, for whatever reason. Diorama's, modeling and such. But yeah,getting lots more..and Im doing custom conversions on my Guardians to make more Dynamis Rangers.