Fun: IC/HQ Arena Batttle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Fun: IC/HQ Arena Batttle

So my local game store is throwing a little fun event. No major prizes. Basically we pick an IC or an HQ MC and field it alone against 5 or 6 opponents and try to kill each other off. Any IC or HQ can be used with any upgrades that are legal (ie, 100 pt limit on SM HQs). I am planning on fielding a Hive Tyrant with all the upgrades:

Hive Tyrant
    Acid Maw
    Flesh Hooks
    Implant Attack
    Symbiote Rippers
    Toxic Miasma
    Winged
    Warp Field
    Adrenal Glands (I)
    Adrenal Glands (WS)
    Enhanced Senses
    Toxin Sacs

Venom Cannon
    Twin Linked Deathspitter

So the two debates I had were Acid Maw vs. Bio-plasma and Barbed Strangler vs. TL Deapthspitter vs. TL Devourer.

I chose Acid Maw over Bio-plasma because if I'm in CC past turn 1 I'll probably be dead due to the proliferation of power weapons in other armies and my lousy Inv. Save.

I chose TL Deathspitter because it has a longer range the Devourer and a higher strength than both the Devourer and Barbed Stranger.

So what do you guys think?

Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

I've never bothered w/ a TL Deathspitter, is that actually an option, or is it just a deathspitter?

If it doesn't come twin-linked, you can't buy him two and then just count it as one weapon, therefore making it illegal to have a "tl" deathspitter + a venom cannon.

That being said, you either need to go close in shooty with a pair of TL devourers, or stay back and gun away with a warp field for protection and use a venom cannon + barbed strangler.

Against opposing HQ that are very likely to have 2+/3+ saves, and psychic powers, I'd consider getting 2 twinlinked devourers and warp blast, and shadow in the warp. If you get shadow in the warp, nobody can die from a Perils of the Warp event, or be hurt by one, and you force all your opponents to roll 3d6 on every psychic test.

I'd call your local games store and ask them what their policy is on TMCs and Special Characters.

If your opponent can field things like Nightbringers, you're going to be in a bit of trouble, as a Tyrant really isn't a match for them (though getting close, and then firing off 2 twinlinked devourers a turn at it while backing away when he gets close will get the trick done over time or with some luck).

I think you'll find the lack of realiable AP other than warp blast renders your low ROF weapons like deathspitters (one shot) and venom cannon (3 shots is still only meh) a pretty bad choice.

Bio-plasma is teh sux vs. characters, again due to their armor save. The way to kill them is either LOTS of wounds without AP, OR very low AP/monstrous creature attacks. You're right to want to go shooty. I think with wings, you can probably play a dicey game against MOST characters, who probably won't have the ability to jump at you. With WS+I+Miasma you'll have a shot against single characters like marine duded with jump packs in single combat, but obviously won't last a multi-character engagement.

Like many GW ideas, this one sounds retarded, in favor of Tyranids if they don't allow special characters, and in favor of Necrons or something similar if they do (Nightbringer weee, walking lascannon + T8 melee insanity).

Also, in consideration of weapom biomorphs, I highly doubt in a mission with just a few individual mostly footslogging close combat models they're going to use a fighting area big enough to justify 36" range weapons. Stick to the two twinlinked devourers, try to use your wings and a little bit of clever mind to keep out of combat and go after the low toughness characters first with devourerspam. You'll put more than a wound or two on even terminator armor every turn at T5 or less. You can't match those odds with any other weapon combination, and you're not going to win by sitting back and lobbing single deathspitter blasts or venom cannon shots at targets.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by MVBrandt View Post
    I've never bothered w/ a TL Deathspitter, is that actually an option, or is it just a deathspitter?
    It is twin-linked.

That being said, you either need to go close in shooty with a pair of TL devourers, or stay back and gun away with a warp field for protection and use a venom cannon + barbed strangler.
    That was my original thought.

Against opposing HQ that are very likely to have 2+/3+ saves, and psychic powers, I'd consider getting 2 twinlinked devourers and warp blast, and shadow in the warp. If you get shadow in the warp, nobody can die from a Perils of the Warp event, or be hurt by one, and you force all your opponents to roll 3d6 on every psychic test.

I'd call your local games store and ask them what their policy is on TMCs and Special Characters.

If your opponent can field things like Nightbringers, you're going to be in a bit of trouble, as a Tyrant really isn't a match for them (though getting close, and then firing off 2 twinlinked devourers a turn at it while backing away when he gets close will get the trick done over time or with some luck).
    For this event all special characters are allowed, including the C'tan (and a buddy of mine is bringing the Deceiver).

I think you'll find the lack of realiable AP other than warp blast renders your low ROF weapons like deathspitters (one shot) and venom cannon (3 shots is still only meh) a pretty bad choice.
    The problem is that with the max strength the Devourer can use on an HT, I'd still need 6's to wound the Deceiver.

Bio-plasma is teh sux vs. characters, again due to their armor save. The way to kill them is either LOTS of wounds without AP, OR very low AP/monstrous creature attacks. You're right to want to go shooty. I think with wings, you can probably play a dicey game against MOST characters, who probably won't have the ability to jump at you. With WS+I+Miasma you'll have a shot against single characters like marine duded with jump packs in single combat, but obviously won't last a multi-character engagement.
    I agree

Like many GW ideas, this one sounds retarded, in favor of Tyranids if they don't allow special characters, and in favor of Necrons or something similar if they do (Nightbringer weee, walking lascannon + T8 melee insanity).
    Not a GW idea, at least as far as I know of. My local game store isn't a GW store. The event is free and it's just for fun. So I don't care if I lose, but I don't want to hand my opponents a victory either

Also, in consideration of weapom biomorphs, I highly doubt in a mission with just a few individual mostly footslogging close combat models they're going to use a fighting area big enough to justify 36" range weapons. Stick to the two twinlinked devourers, try to use your wings and a little bit of clever mind to keep out of combat and go after the low toughness characters first with devourerspam. You'll put more than a wound or two on even terminator armor every turn at T5 or less. You can't match those odds with any other weapon combination, and you're not going to win by sitting back and lobbing single deathspitter blasts or venom cannon shots at targets.
    Arena is 4x4 table (stated in the email we received). I think with wings I will be able to stay out of CC for the most part, unless I get cornered. With that in mind, having the ability to put a wound here or there while my opponents kill each other might be my best bet. And then if I make it to be the last one standing I can focus shots. With that in mind I think I need the VC so I have at least a decent chance at wounding something like C'tan and I think I'll take a TL Devourer so I can try to inflict many wounds at once against low armour foes (if there are any).

Love to hear other ideas!
    Tim Wright

-John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by magnet_man View Post
    It is twin-linked.
    K ... isn't it Max S6 though? This makes it still a 5+ to wound the deceiver with only one possible hit max, or 6+ on the nightbringer (same as devourers). The venom cannon has only 3 shots at either, max 3 hits again ... but likely 2 hits. 4+ on the nightbringer, 3+ on the deceiver still pans out to only really 1 wound on average when all is said and done. So you're going to put 1-2 wounds with your deathspitter + venom cannon. The MOST wounds you can put, if ALL rolls are perfect, are 4, of which half will be saved by the nightbringer/deceiver, and way more than 4 by any other character on the board most likely.

In re: to all this and the above applies. The devourers are going to give you a much better shot at killing something. Ideally, with wings, you should aggressively go after one character at a time, and not just flirt back and try to ping people with an AP4 venom cannon (remember the CTan 4+ is invulnerable). In a "perfect" world you could actually put 12 wounds on something with the 2 devourers, and you're going to still put 1-2 wounds (11 hits statistically per firing round) on either CTan with each round of firing - OMG same odds as venom cannon/deathspitter. So who cares what the Strength is when the odds are the same? Additionally, your odds of scoring 4 wounds are rarely 100% with the vc/deathspitter even against T4 targets, but the 12 devourer shots will statistically score around 8 per turn on them. They're a better bet against BOTH Ctan and other characters.

IMO zoom at a target that's isolated, unload 12 shots at him from max range, zoom in closer and unload 12 more, then charge him with 4 monstrous creature attacks at WS6 I6 and his WS-1. GG. At that point pick another to start working on who is more isolated or who is perhaps foolishly coming after you (some stupid grey knight with a force weapon), and kill him too. Stay the hell away from the C'tan, eat a couple smaller characters and win the game.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

We had the arena battle yesterday. It was really fun. More of an excuse for a bunch of gamers to sit around and gab without having to worry about winning a game.

I decided to take the two TL Devourers with the bazillion upgrades. We had a Deceiver and a Nightbring along with two other HTs (CC monster and one with VC and Devourer). There was a smattering of GK Grandmasters and a Tau commander. It went as expected for the most part with the HTs and the C'tan making it to the final round. Surprisingly the Tau commander made it as well (he hid a lot and made pot shots). I might have won, but I made a gamble and charged the Nightbringer when it had two wounds left. The guy made the one save and then promptly killed me.

The best comment made was to the Tau guy when he had the Deceiver coming at him from one side and my hive tyrant from the other. Someone asked him how it felt to be stuck between a cockroach and a god.
    Tim Wright

-John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Good call on the devourer tyrant. Not so sure about good call on charging a Nightbringer, but hey sometimes you take gambles in life.

Sounds like fun.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

+ Reply to Thread