Markerdrone Target Lock question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Markerdrone Target Lock question

I was writing a response to an army list question today and I realised I didn't know the answer to this question. Always willing to learn from the vast knowledge of others I thought I would put this out there and see what the story is.

Okay here is the situation:
    A team of Firewarriors has a Shas'Ui with Markerlight, Target Lock, Drone Controller and Markerdrone (the appropriate ones hard wired).
    Seeing as the Markerdrone is taken as wargear for the Shas'Ui, can it make use of the Shas'Ui's target lock, allowing it to shoot its markerlight at the same target as the Shas'Ui?

Or, because it becomes a part of the unit (for instance for purposes of 25%/50% losses last man standing tests etc) does it have to shoot its markerlight at the same unit as the Firewarriors?

What do you think/know?

Dave

I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by aussiedave View Post
    I was writing a response to an army list question today and I realised I didn't know the answer to this question. Always willing to learn from the vast knowledge of others I thought I would put this out there and see what the story is.

Okay here is the situation:
    A team of Firewarriors has a Shas'Ui with Markerlight, Target Lock, Drone Controller and Markerdrone (the appropriate ones hard wired).
    Seeing as the Markerdrone is taken as wargear for the Shas'Ui, can it make use of the Shas'Ui's target lock, allowing it to shoot its markerlight at the same target as the Shas'Ui?

Or, because it becomes a part of the unit (for instance for purposes of 25%/50% losses last man standing tests etc) does it have to shoot its markerlight at the same unit as the Firewarriors?

What do you think/know?

Dave
    Drones become a part of the unit and so cannot benefit from the Shas'Uis target lock to shoot at the same target he is, the Drone must shoot at the same as the other members of the unit, the rules actually say that the 'model' with the target lock can shoot at a different target to the other members of its unit and the drone is a member of the unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    Drones become a part of the unit and so cannot benefit from the Shas'Uis target lock to shoot at the same target he is, the Drone must shoot at the same as the other members of the unit, the rules actually say that the 'model' with the target lock can shoot at a different target to the other members of its unit and the drone is a member of the unit.
    That's what my understanding was as well, thanks for the confirmation.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    Riki, I cannot help but think this feels wrong. Although the drone may well be counted as being part of the unit, it is the shas'ui that has the drone controller. Logically it would seem to make more sense that it must be more likely that the drone would have to shoot at the same target as its "master and commander", and not at the same target as the rest of the unit, specifically since it is in no way controlled by them. This might not actually be how the rules are written (but then clarity has never been GW's strong point!) but I cannot help but think that's what it ought to be. Still, perhaps some AI expert can come up with a more plausible/believable explanation ... ... ... !

~ Ravenscraig ~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Ravenscraig View Post
    Riki, I cannot help but think this feels wrong. Although the drone may well be counted as being part of the unit, it is the shas'ui that has the drone controller. Logically it would seem to make more sense that it must be more likely that the drone would have to shoot at the same target as its "master and commander", and not at the same target as the rest of the unit, specifically since it is in no way controlled by them. This might not actually be how the rules are written (but then clarity has never been GW's strong point!) but I cannot help but think that's what it ought to be. Still, perhaps some AI expert can come up with a more plausible/believable explanation ... ... ... !

~ Ravenscraig ~
    I agree it does seem odd, but drones become a part of the unit, when its taken by a FW Shas'Ui it becomes a part of the FW unit and has to shoot as per the unit, if the drone had a target lock it could shoot a different target but as it stands it has to shoot the same target as the rest of the unit.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

The other element of this would be that the unit in question would effectively be benefitting three times for the price of the single target lock if the drones were also able to use its facilities for themselves.

Like Riki already mentioned, the Codex does specify that the model which possesses the TL is the only one which benefits from it, not any others even though they may be connected in a hard-wired fashion to the TL owner!

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread