New to Warhammer 40k Need some help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Warhammer 40k Need some help

So I just got into Warhammer 40k. I was able to buy a bunch of models off someone who just had to much. My Army list is as follows
    ( * i bought these prebuilt)
    (` i built these)
    2x 10 Necron Warriors ( i have a bunch more but still need to just be built) *`
    3x Destroyers (am looking to replace one with a heavy destroyer but not sure)*
    4X Canoptek Scarabs *
    5 Triarch Praetorians w/ Particle caster and Voidblade`
    5 Immortals / Deathmarks (just bought this def gonna build them leaning more to the Deathmarks)`

1 Cryptek `
    1 Destoryer Lord (Staff of Light )*
    1 Overlord w/ Warscythe `

1 Triarch Stalker (have all 3 of weapons for him currently have the heat ray attached)`

All together I'm at like 1,192 points

That sums it all up. I think i have a good base for them. Was looking to upgrade but i need to figure out whats good still since i have only gotten into this not that long ago.

Basically asking for army comp help and have a question about a phylactery, after many a Googles i didn't find it. Pretty much only the Destoryer Lord was this that i have. But i can't tell if he has it on him or if its a upgrade kit or what have you. I wanna get it for him, i think it would be pretty good since he isn't carrying a res orb. Think about also getting a night scythe and flayed ones combo.

All in all i have a bunch of randomness that i need to make into a have good army that i can win a few games with. Almost positive i need to get a Ark to move my guys around or something.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

First off, welcome to the forum. Any questions about this place just ask. It's not very active any more to be honest with you....... so I wouldn't expect a load of help anytime soon.

I'm not a Necron player myself so can't really help you with their rules or what is a must have with the new Edition. You are playing 8th I take it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I already have the index for the 8th, seems since the 8th just came out im not finding much online as far as info for them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Everyone is finding their feet at the moment. The old 'must have' units are now not as essential as they once were. Where as some of the old "waste of points" units are now quite tempting. It will take people a while to find their feet again and find out what's what.

What sort of points are you aiming for? 1500pts seems quite small nowadays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ehh most of the people around where i am either do 1000 pts or 2000 pts. And i was starting to get that most people dont have a good handle on what works good and stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

With 8th being so new the best way to find out how something works is to throw it on the table and see what kind of damage it can put out/what role it can fill. If you don;t want to do it that way then there are some decent battle reports on youtube, find your army and see what they seem to have performing well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello! I'm no expert at the game but I have now played a few games with Necrons in the new edition so can give you my limited insights :-)

Your units are better in large numbers. The way that reanimation protocols work now, as long as you have one survivor of a unit at the start of your turn you can try to reanimate any of your guys who have died previously in the battle (but not if they ran away/phased out as part of a failed morale check). For example, I had two survivors of a twenty man warrior unit at the start of my turn, by the time I had made two lots of reanimate rolls for them (due to a ghost ark) at 4+ (due to a cryptek), I had seventeen again. But if the unit is wiped out, no rolls at all, so larger is better.

On that note, if you're going infantry heavy then the Overlord and the Cryptek are definitely good picks. You'll mainly be moving as one big blob, but as you can retreat from close combat now that isn't as bad as it seems.

Scarabs don't seem that great in the new edition, but if you need to make up the points or hold someone up for a turn or so then they may do the job.

I've tried Deathmarks as a five man unit and they seemed a bit sub-par. They really depend on numbers I think - more chances of mortal wounds and without that they're just firing bolters - nothing to scare most characters. They're probably much more effective in a squad of ten. Personally though, I think you'll need the Immortals first in order to get enough troop choices for a good detachment (assuming you're going matched play) - command points are great for necron infantry. In my previous example, without the 'Insane Bravery' stratagem, my warriors would have been wiped out by the morale check before they could reanimate.

I tried the Stalker and it seemed a good, solid choice - the heat ray gives you flexibility (which I like a lot). Haven't tried the Praetorians or Destroyers so can't vouch for them either way - however, one thing I will say is that in my first game I really felt the lack of anti-tank weapons. With short range on my and vehicles being tough now, I couldn't even stop Ork trucks from rolling up and hitting me in the face. So Destroyers (particularly Heavy Destroyers) may help with that. They seem pricey, but they're fast, accurate, and with the Destroyer Lord too they will be pretty reliable on wounding the enemy.

As for the phylactery, I think that the Destroyer Lord has an arm with what looks a bit like a small scarab on the forearm - I think that that is the phylactery. If you google for images of him you can find pictures of it.

Hope this helps :-)
    "Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

"Ha Ha Ha! Mine is an evil laugh... now DIE!"

+ Reply to Thread