*IMPORTANT* "Which Army?" Thread! - Page 39 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
    Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSkip View Post
    Are there any non imperium armies that can be played stand alone these days?
    Necron and Eldar fit that bill easily, due to their formation bonuses. Tau can still do pretty well from just one codex. A green tide is still a competitive build.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

How are the Tau faring these days? They seem ok'ish, but also like a very static army for the most part, not sure I'd enjoy that

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Tau can be static but can also be very mobile. Grab some devil fish for fire warriors and crisis and riptides get the assault jumps.
    Most people will move into range shoot and dive behind cover.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geez it's been a long time.

Much as I want to start a whole new thread for this, I figured posting here would be appropriate.

Thing is, I've been wanting to play an army of mercenary humans to represent the personal army of a planetary governor or rogue trader. The gist is that they're not entirely on the up-and-up with the Imperium, as they are on the hunt for some non-warp-based means of immortality. Their commander has lead them through several wars and maintains herself by cloning her body, and using some very borderline heretical technology to copy her mind into the new vessel, though she still aspires to a more 'permanent' solution. Due to their disregard for proper procedure as prescribed by the Adeptus Mechanicus, this army has access to plenty of nice toys to compensate for the lack of support they may receive from the Imperium at large due to their tendency to go off the rails in pursuit of their own goals.

I've bounced around with so many armies with this idea it's not even funny. I've tried IG/AM, I've tried LatD, I'm currently playing them as 30k Militia (Dark Age and Chem-Jackers), and lately I've been looking into Tempestus for my needs.
    The list of what I'd like to get out of the army is as follows;
    - Would greatly prefer humans over marines - while augmentation and genetic experimentation is not completely out of the question, I'd like to avoid simply using a marine codex if possible.
    - Semi-Elite, or at least non-horde'y - As an always-on-the-move mercenary force, this army can't quite drag around the millions of soldiers a proper AM fleet would have
    - 4+ or 3+ armor - I don't know why, but I really like the idea of units in carapace armor. This is also to offset the idea of not having blobs as mentioned above.
    - Mobility - Seeing as Maelstrom of War regularly screws me over, having some option for zipping from one end of the table to the other would be nice
    - Easy to learn/Forgiving tactics - This one runs almost mutually exclusive to the others, but the fact stands that I simply don't have the time or wherewithal to develop a particularly exacting play style to stand up to people who play every game like it's a tournament
    - SCALES WELL - This is an absolute must. I'm only comfortable playing at 1500-1850 tops, but my usual opponents turn their nose up at any game less than 2000. I'd prefer an army that isn't a hassle to set up at that points level, and has bigger and better options for those inevitably huge games as well as smaller, competent units to fill in gaps or flesh out a smaller army.
    - Can use models that look like this:
    Lady_Redcoat_and_co.jpg

As far as I can tell, Tempestus seems to fit the bill for all except 'Forgiving Tactics' and 'Scalability.' And to match the pic is a 50/50 shot. I was wondering if anyone out there can think of something I didn't?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Welcome back to the fold mate. Those are some very cool conversions. You're going to need to break those down for us! (maybe start a thread in the projects section?)

Have you looked at the Inquisitor rules? The Henchmen can have some pretty funky gear. You could always use the Sisters of Battle as support and act as some 'heavy infantry' if you will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Borak View Post
    Welcome back to the fold mate. Those are some very cool conversions. You're going to need to break those down for us! (maybe start a thread in the projects section?)

Have you looked at the Inquisitor rules? The Henchmen can have some pretty funky gear. You could always use the Sisters of Battle as support and act as some 'heavy infantry' if you will.
    I gave Inquisition a look before, but I run into a pretty big scaling problem with them unless I go unbound. 3 units main, plus 3 units allied of only 12 guys each won't fill out a list unless I start putting them in land raiders.

As for Sisters, I don't have their rules, but from what little I remember of them I think I'd be getting into a bit too much 'counts as' to make them represent a bunch of over-kitted mercenaries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone

Basically as per the title of the thread i'm looking to choose between a Space Wolves force (Fenris supplement) or an Eldar Wraith host formation just wondering the pros/cons of each army and how fun they both are to play

thanks a lot!
    Dance little tin goddess dance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Wolves are the more fun force whilst the wraithhost are more competitive. The high toughness and good saveas make dealign with a wraithhost very difficult. Personally I prefer my eldar whizzing round the baord on jetbikes. I've not run my wraith host list yet mainly because of the amount of cheese!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh i see, you see the issue i have is i love Eldar, but i harbor a real disdain towards bike armies, i don't know why they just don't sit well with me, i am aware however that the Eldar bikes are some of the best on the tabletop
    Dance little tin goddess dance

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    355 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniosis750 View Post
    Ahh i see, you see the issue i have is i love Eldar, but i harbor a real disdain towards bike armies, i don't know why they just don't sit well with me, i am aware however that the Eldar bikes are some of the best on the tabletop
    I've wanted to do a bike-heavy Dark Eldar list for a while, but life lately has drawn me away from tabletop. Maybe in the wintertime.

I would say Wraithhost, but I would like to know what kind of Wolf army were you thinking?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839