Zombie game type. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zombie game type.

A few of my friends and I were tossing around an idea about making a zombie type game out of 40k. I just started jotting random ideas down and started on a few zombie stat lines. Basically the game would play more like an rpg. For every wound you do to an enemy model you're character would get points they could use to either level up or buy new gear, to withstand the ever growing zombie hoards. I know this is going to take a while to do then tweak it so it works better. So i'm asking for your help. What i need is some zombies. Just throw em out there. I need stat lines how far they can move or if they don't move and just wait for someone to get close. Are they normal zombies or are they super mutated brutes that charge up to 4 d6? Tanks? Sprinters? acid spitters? Wings? What kind of weapons do they have? When I get farther into to it I will type it all up and post it. I appreciate all feedback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Sounds pretty sweet. I'd go with something like this for a standard zombie:

M4, WS2, S2, T3, I1, A1, W1, Ld10
    Fearless, Feel No Pain
    2pts per kill

Are you running them as "AI" models on the table, or having a player take control of them? That would obviously make a difference. Also, check out the rules for Kill Team. There are things in there about overwatch etc that create a game where the defender (zombies) has limited control. It also has lots of cool upgrades for a small party of heroic characters, and allowing players to use and level a Kill Team rather than limiting them to a single model might also make things a bit more entertaining - especially if someone is controlling the Zombies from the table.

If they're not under control, I'd go with a system kinda like this:

Deploying Zombies:
    Grid out the table into 2x2 zones. For a standard 4x6 table, that means you have 6 zones, for a 4x4 you have 4 zones.
    For each zone, roll a D10 (or 2D6 if you want to stick to D6s) to determine the number of zombies in each zone.
    Zombies tend to mob up, so they are placed on a 5" round template in the middle of each zone.
    Players start in the zone with the fewest Zombies (or you can have preset missions, or even use the plain 40k scenarios) and get the first turn.

The Turn:
    I'd definitely break the player turn up so that phases can be taken in any order. This is how I've played "Gears 40k", which you can poach for rules. The turn system that my friends and I use for that allowed multiple rounds of shooting in a single turn, provided you could consistently pass a LD check with stacking mods, and you could Shoot-Move-Shoot etc.

For Zombie movement:
    Any time a character fires a ranged weapon, or uses a special close combat weapon (knives are quiet, chainfists probably not so much), move all zombies in his area and any adjacent areas, D6 inches towards him. If a Zombie not in an adjacent square is hit by a ranged attack, move it towards the attacker.
    On their turn, Zombies will "stumble". If there are no enemies in the adjacent area, then the Zombies will attempt to clump together or find food. The first zombies to move are those who are in the area farthest from the players, and then you work to the areas which are closer. Zombies will either:
    :: Swarm - if there is a player in the same area as the Zombie (or within 6" - no hiding across boundary lines), it will move towards the nearest player character.
    :: Mob Up - move the zombies in this area towards the adjacent area with the highest number of zombies.
    :: Find Food - for every area adjacent to a player, roll a D6. On a 4+, all Zombies in that area will move towards the occupied area. On a 1-3, the Zombies will instead 'Mob Up'.
    *note that Zombies can move twice if they 'Mob Up' into a new area which then 'Finds Food'. Consider this a change from the usual "shambling aimlessly" to "moving with a purpose".

Mutants:
    Sometimes, Zombies just aren't scary enough, so you get what we have here... which is how we want it. Now, I don't like these brutes any more than you boys.
    At the start of each game, you should determine (I don't care how - dice roll, some special rule, points allowance) how many 'Mutants' will be on the table. I'd suggest having different colored markers for the mutants and then rolling randomly, but whatever. Once all the other Zombies are placed, roll a D6 (for 4x6 table with 6 sections) or a D3 (for a 4x4 table with 4 sections, excluding the section where the players start) to randomly place each mutant. You have:

1. Rotter - this zombie has spent a little too much time in the sun. Foetid rot has caused the zombie's body to swell up with a mixture of bile, noxious gas, and other "less than savory" things. Be careful when attacking a Rotter, as disturbing this foul concoction can have devastating (and disgusting) results
    When targetting a Rotter in combat, players are at -1 to hit due to the horrid stench. When a Rotter is removed from play, place a 3" template where it stood. Anything under this template is hit with a S2 AP5 attack as they are splashed with... guts and stuff. After resolving this attack, place a 5" blast template. Models under this template are hit with a S1 Poison (6+) attack from the plume of toxic gas which fills the air.
    3pts

2. Wretch Wretches are fresh dead - their muscles still limber, and without pain or fatigue: super humanly agile. Their brains are still largely intact as well, making them more intelligent when seeking out prey. In the zombie ranks, they can be thought of as 'scouts'.
    Wretches gain +1A and an Additional CCW (for a total of 3A in combat), +2I, and +1WS. Wretches will always pass their 'Find Food' check when they are in adjacent squares. When a Wretch would normally 'Mob Up', they ignore all Zombie types except other Wretches when determining direction. If there are no Wretches adjacent to their area, they instead move towards the nearest player character. Whenever a Wretch moves (for whatever reason) it adds D6" to it's movement.
    3pts

3. Hurler Hurlers are what you get when you over-feed a Zombie. Half digested flesh and blood oozes from every orifice. When the zombie senses a new meal nearby, it purges this terrible cargo in the most disgusting manner imaginable.
    If an enemy is within 6" of a Hurler, it will not move, but instead make a shooting attack using the Flame Template. All models (Zombie or otherwise) beneath the template are hit with S3, AP6, Poison(6+) attack.
    4pts

4. Banshee The origins of the Banshee remain a mystery. Some say that they are some sort of alpha-zombie, others claim that it is some Warp-spawned foulness. All that is known is that Banshees are priority number 1 in every engagement, because of the hideous howl that summons others zombies to its side.
    +1W. Banshees do not move towards enemies who are in the same area (but will still Find Food or Mob Up normally). Instead, they will 'howl'. This Howl is a psychic attack, player characters in the same area as the Banshee roll a Ld test. For every point they fail the test by, they suffer one automatic S2 hit. Additionally, any Zombies adjacent to the Banshee are considered to 'Find Food' and automatically move towards the nearest player character. Lastly, and time a Banshee howls, spawn an additional D3 basic zombies in it's area.
    4pts

5. Brute Brutes are large, violent zombies. During life they may have been substantially larger members of their species, or possibly even Space Marines or savage Orks. In death, they are tough, tenacious, and terrifying specimens of the undead
    40mm base. Brutes gain +2WS, +2S, +1T, +1WS, +1A, and +1W. Brutes also have Furious Charge and a 5+ armor save.
    5pts

6. Thug Thugs are often just larger versions of other mutants, excess growth triggered by the zombie virus and a "healthy" diet of fresh meat. However, some grow to truly terrifying proportions, and become monsters that would strike fear into even the most stalwart of warriors
    Roll again on this table. On a 1-4, the Thug has additional "special" wounds, equal to their original starting number of wounds (So a Banshee Thug has 2W, plus 2 "special" wounds). These wounds automatically regenerate at the beginning of each of the Thug's turns. The only way to remove these special wounds permanently, is to remove them all and also inflict 1 "regular" wound on the model. This means that Thugs can be incredibly tenacious, as even a Wretch Thug will require 2W dealt in a single turn to kill, while the Banshee Thug would need to be dealt 3 wounds in a single round to stop it's regeneration and then a 4th wound to finish off.
    x2pts (a Wretch Thug is worth 6pts, a Banshee Thug is worth 8pts)

If the second roll results in a 5-6, the Thug becomes a Berserker, the most feared of all Zombie types.
    Berserker: M4, WS3, S4, T5, W3, I3, A3, Ld- (passes all Ld), Sv3+
    Feel No Pain(5+), Equipped with Power Fist
    Dreadnought Base. Berserkers always pass their roll to Find Food, and add D6 to their movement when in the same zone as a player character.
    12pts
    -----

And there you have it. At least, how I'd run them. I assigned points assuming that you are using regular Codex unit-entry points to buy new equipment etc.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I have a fantasy battle zombie rpg game which I created and have been playing off and on with my friends for a few years. The base of the game works well but I am constantly updating and tweaking it so I can't gurantee all of the rules are balanced. Each player gets a character to control and earns points through kills which they can use to then buy weapons or new abilities. The zombies are controlled by a ZM (zombie master) who just spawns the zombies 8 inches away from the players and moves/attacks with them. The ZM can also control a character so that they don't get bored just moving zombies around. I just implemented an evil zombie "character" to make the ZM more fun to play as.

I'll post the highlights of my rules, feel free to take what you want.

Warhammer Fantasy Nazi Zombies! 2.5

The Field
    The playing area can be any size or shape, a single house or an entire city. A large play area will give more mobile characters a slight advantage.

Houses- The playing field is filled with structures called houses. A house is any defensible location. Houses can have windows, doors, and walls.
    Window- A small hole in the wall (about 1-2 inches on the table.) A window may be barricaded. Zombies can do the following at a Window:
    Move Through- A zombie can use its entire movement to crawl through a window, only 1 zombie may move through each window per turn. May not be done if a character is within 2 inches of the window.
    Attack- up to 3 zombies may attack a character through a window if the character is within 2 inches of the window.

Door- An opening Large enough to move freely through; may be barricaded. If a character is standing in the doorway then the zombies may not move through it but any zombies within 2 inches of the door may attack the character.

Wall- A sturdy structure, zombies may attack a wall. If a wall loses its last wound it now counts as a window in all ways.
    WS 0 T 10 W 5

Barricade- A makeshift defense.
    A character may spend an AP to place d3 barricades on an object within 2 inches.
    WS 0 T 3 W 1
    Day/Night
    Zombies attack every night. During the Day, a model has 3 AP (action points.)
    An AP may be used in the following ways:
    1 AP Move, the character may move double its M value.
    1 AP Reload, the character automatically reloads all their weapons.
    1 AP Purchase, the character may buy an object if they are within range.
    1 AP Perform Action, the character can interact with an object, open a door, build a barricade, etc.
    1 AP Regain a wound- the character spends the day nursing his wounds. The character regains 1 wound he has lost earlier (this cannot raise a model above their total W value)
    3 AP Search for a survivor- the Character searches the area around the field for any living being that can hold a sword. Roll a d6, on a 4+, the character may buy an additional model of any race. Multiply the cost of the model by the number of models you currently own. (EX if you own 2 models, the cost of an ogre would be 20) These additional survivors cannot be resurrected, when they die, they die. They may also not buy experience/skills. These survivors count for # of characters when deciding the # of zombies each night. After Searching for a survivor, roll d3, add these many zombies each night. (even if no survivors are found)
    Night
    The game starts at Night 1, then progresses to Day 1, then Night 2 an on. The ZM gets the first turn.
    ZM (zombie master)
    10 base zombies+#of characters per night
    Turn structure:
    Attack- A zombie must start the turn within 2 inches to attack
    Movement-may move at M characteristic in any direction
    Spawn- A zombie may spawn 8 inches from a character, if the character is in a house, the zombies must spawn 8 inches from the houses’ walls. Each spawn phase, as many zombies may spawn as there are characters +1.
    So if there are 3 characters, 4 zombies may spawn. Add 1 to the maximum # of zombies spawned every 3 nights.

Wight Captain- The Zombie Master’s head honcho. He acts as the ZM’s “character/end of night boss” He always is the last model to spawn and spawns every night regardless of how many times he has died.
    M WS BS S T W A
    4 3 3 3 3 2 2
    Skilled
    The ZM may upgrade/buy weapons/skills in the same way as characters do. All points costs are the same. All of the Wight’s stats are upgradeable.

ZP (zombie points)
    The ZM may earn points just like Characters; the ZM earns points in the following ways:
    1 zp per wound inflicted to a character
    5 zp per character killed
    A zp for each night completed (ex. At the end of night 3, the ZM automatically earns 3 ZP and at the end of night 4, 4 zp)

The ZM must announce what he will spend his ZP on (he may save them) before the Characters use any AP.

Skilled- Zombies are brain dead, they can’t move and attack. Skilled creatures do not have to start the turn in base contact to attack a model. All ZM creatures are assumed to not have skilled unless stated.

Zombie, mindless, skill less, a source of great laughter and horror.
    M WS BS S T W A
    4 2 0 2 4 1 1

Characters
    Turn Structure:
    Move- as ZM
    Attack- Either Attack anything within 2 inches in melee, or shoot a single ranged weapon, then attempt to automatically reload it using it’s Am. If you fail this roll the weapon may not be fired again until it has been Reloaded. Rolls of 1 always fail.
    You may choose to ignore your attack phase and reload a ranged weapon which failed it’s Am roll
    Character Models
    Players may choose what race their Model will be from. All characters start with 10 Kill Points (KP). KP is cumulative. More Kill points may be gained by:
    +1KP per zombie killed/wound inflicted on an enemy
    +2KP for building a barricade (only for a Dwarf or a Smithy)
    +XKP for surviving a night (X=The Night #)

+ next to the stat of a character means it can be upgraded under the experience table
    When players choose characters, they are not allowed to communicate to each other

Human 8 KP The basic Man, Can take on any role.
    M+ WS+ BS+ S+ T+ W+ A+
    4 3 3 3 3 3 2
    Starts with Sword, Light Armor, and Short Bow
    Racial Abilities:
    Jack of All Trades- when being created, choose one race. The human gains a single Racial Ability of that race.
    Master of None- when upgrading a stat the kp cost doubles plus 5. So the first upgrade will be 10 the second will be 25 etc.

Beastman 5 KP Feral and ugly, not a very skilled fighter, but very cheap to equip.
    M+ WS+* BS S+ T+ W+ A+
    5 2 2 4 3 3 3
    Racial abilities:
    Tooth and claw- The Beastman knows how to adapt and make use of his surroundings. At the end of every day, the character may choose to equip the Beastman with any melee weapon combination. The character discards all other melee weaponry. (Except “special” Weapons from the box such as chainsaws)
    Initiative
    *it costs 20 points to upgrade a Beastman’s WS (the second WS will cost 40 etc)

Night Goblin 5 KP
    M+ WS+ BS+ S T W+ A+
    3 2 3 2 2 2 3
    Starts with Knife, Short Bow, Light Armor
    Racial abilities:
    Survivor-When the goblin loses it’s final wound roll a d6. On a 4+ the goblin escapes death; remove the model from play and place it within 4 inches of a goblin the next day. The model counts as having 1 W but otherwise is unaffected.
    Nimble- the Goblin may treat windows as doors for movement purposes, Night Goblins may also run through zombies if they block him in; roll a d6 for each zombie that is within 1 inch, on a 1 the Goblin is knocked down and takes a wound
    Numerous- you start with 2 night goblins. You may buy more goblins during the day for 2 AP. Doing so will cost 5KP+5KP for each other goblin you own.
    Equipping the Horde- when you buy an upgrade or equipment, all goblins you own will receive the same bonus. Each item purchased will cost an additional 2KP per goblin

Elf 7 KP Great at shooting, and not getting hit, but easy to kill.
    M+ WS+ BS+ S T W A
    6 3 5 2 2 2 1
    Starts with Bow
    Racial abilities-Dodge May use WS as a Ward save EX ( WS3 7-3=4+ Ward Save)
    Nimble- See Goblin
    Marksman-the Elf may add +1 to his Am rolls.

Dwarf 9 KP Very Tough to kill, Great Close combat Tank and is the only character with access to a shield!
    M WS BS S T+ W+ A+
    3 4 3 3 4 4 2
    Starts with Short Bow, Shield, Axe, and medium armor
    Racial abilities:
    Well Armored- Armor costs -5 for Dwarfs
    \Master craftsman- Barricades built by dwarfs have the following profile
    WS 0 T 4 W 1

Ogre 10 KP This thing is big and great in close combat; but the worst shooter.
    M WS+ BS S+ T W A+
    6 2 1 5 5 5 3
    Starts with a Warhammer
    Racial Abilities:
    Stupid- the ogre cannot perform complex tasks like barricading. Before using an AP roll a die; on a 1 the ogre does nothing and you lose that AP.
    Feels no Pain- Ogres can take lots of punishment, they regain 2 wounds instead of 1 when they use an AP to regain wounds.
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

+ Reply to Thread