The Triberii - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Triberii

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

The Tiberii

so the basic idea is a Roman style army that occupies the lands near Tlaqua south of arbay on the warhammer map.
    as far as I know nothing is written of these lands or if any peoples live in that region making it perfect for a new army to rise up.

any ideas? I am currently working on this with a friend of mine who loves warhammer and studies ancient history to help keep it within the feel of the Romans.

Last edited by Lucas; November 27th, 2012 at 14:35.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

so far

The Tiberii live around the region known as Tlaqua south of Arbay. The people of this land call themselves the Tiberii, after the great leader who united the tribes against a massive Ork invasion to the lands. Titus Tiber who was born in to a small tribe known as the Bear Claws, who at the time used brutal battle tactics against the other human tribes of the area, the warriors used to think this would keep there enemies afraid of them, but this was not the case. After a flash flood in the region the Bear Claw tribe had been devastated and launched more and more raids for slaves and resources against the other tribes. The most prevalent of these tribes were the bull riders of the Trodden Hoof clan. After they were raided, the leader Vilkas Valarious met with the other tribes close by and planned to destroy the Bear Claws once and for all.

On the day the united tribes of Tlaqua attacked the Bear Claws, a huge Ork Waghhhh! had begun to move towards the Bear Claws tribe. The Bear Claws leader Tantus Tiber lead a counter charge against the Orks but was soon cut down by a Goblin with a knife in the back. Driven mad by grief his son, Titus charged the Ork ranks and cut down the Warboss in single combat. As Tantus lay dead the other tribes of men soon stopped fighting the Bear Claws and turned to face the Orks under the command of Titus. The tribes slaughtered the Ork and Goblin army against the coast, none survived.

After the battle was done, Titus met with Vilkas and the other tribe leaders for a truce. After a few days of talks, all the leaders decided it was best to unite the tribes for mutual protection and to lend other non-combat skills to one and other.
    Each tribe had its own set of skills; the mariners of the Silver Spear tribe were master ship builders and expert fisherman, the mages of the Flaming Hand Tribe had no equal in the art of Pyromancy in the lands of Tlaqua, the Howling Marauders were a barbaric clan of crazed warriors, and finally the Timberwolf tribe were master huntsmen who are at home in their forest surroundings.

In later years the combined tribes under the command of Titus Tiber began to expand and integrate other lesser tribes. Soon the people under the leader ship of Titus prospered and started to build towns and cities of increasing size and grandeur.
    The people loved and respected there leader and started hailing him as Emperor, later referring to themselves as the Tiberii and so the Tiberii empire had begun.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

If anyone could help me out with beefing up the fluff so far I would be thankful. Writing is really not one of my strong points but I can think of lots of stuff and need fresh ideas to keep the ball rolling

so far-

The empire is currently ruled over by Barkurious Tiber the cousin of the previous Emperor. Gracchus Tiber had ascended to the throne after his farther Varcus died in battle with the Beastmen of the forest. Gracchus was a spoiled brat of a man who spent his days in the company of whores and friends, indulging in wine and opium.
    Gracchus bled the empire dry for monuments of his likeness and games in his honour.
    Barkurious Tiber a General in the army, who once served in the personal guard of Varcus. After the General asked for aid against a raid of dark elves but received none, the battle was won but at terrible cost. Half of the men under the command of Barkurious were slain but with his remaining strength gathered they marched on Tibus the capital of the Tiberii Empire. Once the forces of General Barkurious reached the city the guards simply let him march in to the city. Rumours have spread around the Empire that Barkurious was going to supplant Gracchus and cast down his vanity. Gracchus thought nothing of the rumours and expected Barkurious was marching the army to honour him. Once Barkurious entered the imperial palace he walked up to Gracchus greeting him with a kiss on the head as old friends do, but the blade he plunged into his chest was something Gracchus did not expect. As Gracchus feel to the floor limp and lifeless his own guard didn’t even bat an eye lid, Barkurious sat on the throne as his second in command lifted the crown of the fallen emperors head and placed it upon his masters brow. Barkurious turned to his second in command and smiled he spoke softly to Maravien and named him General of the Tiberii Army and asked him to assemble the troops.

The Tiberii military is one that rewards acts of honour and punishes cowardice.
    Those who are of high station who join the legions of the Tiberii are not inert officers. Officers in the army all rose in the ranks from simple infantrymen to the heights of generals. The army is ordered into legions each forming around 10000 men, every legion is commanded by a general. In each legion the 10000 men are split in to cohorts of round 1000 and each cohort it made up from swaths of infantry, cavalry, archers, skirmishers, auxiliary mercenaries and even siege units.

The main units one would expect to find in the legions of the Tiberii are the legionaries who are taken from the basic populations of the land.
    The original tribes that united against the Orks still keep much of there characteristics; the Silver Spear became the admirals of the fleets and ship masters, the Flaming Hand the empires battle mages, the Howling Marauders the line breaker berserkers of the army, the Timberwolfs who form the elite archers, scouts, skirmishers and beast tamers, the Trodden Hoof the masters of all mounted combat still use the bull as a mount of choice and the Bear Claws who tend to work up to high ranking officers due to there inert tactical brilliance.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Lucas - glad to see someone else considering unique fluff! I have to ask: why? Not because I think that this is a bad idea at all, but really just because it changes the way I'd approach it.

First - Tlaqua is held by the Lizardmen. It's part of 'The Southlands', which is basically all of Africa beneath Egypt - or in Warhammer terms, everything south of Araby and Khemri. Older Lizardmen fluff states that the Southlands were at one time attached to Lustria (South America) and the Lizardmen lived across all of the equatorial regions, and when it split, they wound up there. Skaven or the climate (or some other force) has kept them from having Saurus in their ranks, so the Skinks of the Southlands don't have quite the same temple-city culture that was built on the backs of muscular Saurus slaves. In battle, these "Red Crested Skinks" were the first to band together in regiments rather than skirmishing. They used to have an armylist but like all the non-core lists, it has been written out by GW.

Secondly, Tilea is generally accepted as the Warhammer equivalent to Rome. It's post-byzantine Italy, during the Renaissance. They fight with pikes and crossbows, and are generally very experienced (and sought after) mercenaries. They don't have a standing army, but rather, mercenary companies are hired by merchants and nobles in their fights against each other. In times of need, the mercenaries might rally to defend their own homes, or will be fighting in the employ of those same nobles and merchants looking to defend their own lands.
    To locate Tilea, look at the Warhammer map and compare it to the real world. From Bretonnia, head south to what looks like Spain - that's roughly where Tilea (and the Border Principalities) are, if I recall.

Third - Are you using an existing army? Which one are you using - the High Elves have tactics very similar to those of the Greco-Roman armies, while The Empire has once again become the umbrella for any human army around the world. If you go for the Empire, you're limiting yourself pretty heavily. You wouldn't be able to use any of their blackpowder weapons, and the Roman cohorts fought with spears behind a shield-wall, so you're pretty much using the worst Core unit in the army. If you bump up the timeline to "unlock" those other weapons, you're bringing yourself into the Rennaisance and ending up with a Tilean army. The Tileans feature heavily in the Dogs of War armylist, which may or may not still be legal (but certainly isn't any good anymore).

If you're making a list - I'm writing a Nippon armylist. The biggest thing to do is to find a niche that your army will fill so that people can't say "why not just play army __x__?" For you, that's going to be even more difficult because like I said - the High Elves already play very much like the Romans. Knowing your history also really has much less bearing that you would think when writing an Armybook (or even just fluff). Even though Warhammer used to have very close ties with the historical armies they based their forces on (Empire were most definitely German CityStates, High Elves had a very Roman feel, etc) they've been moving away from that. They're finally embracing the Fantasy side of the story, and focusing more on the bizarre and incredible. When I started my Nippon list, I tried to base everything very solidly in reality and fact. Next thing I know I'm adding in supernatural Samurai, crazy spirit-demons, legendary ninjas, and actually trying to go above and beyond the popular myths about Japan. The reason that we can still relate the Fantasy armies to the "real" ones, is through tropes. Everyone has a basic idea about Rome, whether it's accurate or not. I've read a lot into them, their army fascinates me and is a big reason why I started my gaming with the High Elves - but you don't want that. You want to play up the fact that they fight in blocks with their shields turtled, you want to focus on their elite training that let them fight as the most efficient killing machine in the world, their myths and legends, the constant assassination and madness of the Caesars, their advanced technology, everything that a "Joe on the street" would tell you about Rome needs to be in there and needs to be horribly overstated. And then everything else about Rome needs to be replaced with incredible fantasy that is nothing like Rome at all.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Its a huge undertaking but I want to write an army book like the Nippon book. I am willing to read epic volumes of text as is my friend Dave who studies ancient history mainly that of the Roman empire. Would I be able to expand the fluff about the Southlands to include an area that humans lived for years in small tribes fighting of the feral Lizardmen, skaven, Orcs etc. I love the Roman empire and I have rules in my head for the units I just need a bit of a guide to help as I have all the ideas in my head but am struggling to make it fit in the warhammer world. If you can add any advice on how to expand this in a fuller way that makes sense with the existing fluff and lore I would be thankful.

Lucas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool ideas! I am myself building an army of Romans. It's a theme missing from Fantasy Battle. Only I am going with a mixture of the Tileans.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

What level of technology are you using? as the Tileans have black powder if im not mistaken. I am using the ancient style of technology with scorpion bolt throwers and onagers. Are you developing your own rules? or are you using empire army book or similar? A good idea maybe to make an ancient Tilean army? I agree the full blown Roman theme is missing, granted the high elves are said to be greco-roman in some respect but an army of men that takes war to a whole new level is an amazing idea. People think oh no another human army but look at it this way, besides fan made armies you can only use three human armies, Empire, Brets and even warriors of chaos (yeah some of them are hardly human anymore but still). I would look forward to seeing what you develop.

Good luck, Lucas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

one thing you should really do to help you focus on how you are to proceed is to find a particular point in the history of Rome. There are four distinct Roman blocks, early Rome governed by kings, republic Rome, Imperial Rome, and Christian Rome. Choosing one of these periods will give you a good idea of how the army should be set up, what lies in its historical past and give you guidelines on the nature of the culture of the nation.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Imperial Rome, the time of professional soldiers and incumbent Emperors. Although I am basing the Tiberii of Imperial Rome I am also only using it as a guide, the world of fantasy is just that! Lets face it Rome wasn't created due to a bunch of ancient tribes uniting against a Orc waaagh!(yes I know I have copied the whole sigmar/black fire pass thing) but it works well.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I like this it's seems like an interesting project. There are a few armies out there that are Romans using the empire rules (the reman legions comes to mind).

One thing you will need to do when writing rules is not make the individual soldiers very good. Roman soldiers weren't individually any better than a lot of their opponents it was their tactics and discipline that made them good.
    Id start with empire swordsmen as a base and then use a detachment style system (after all the Romans invented this!) once you have got that add in a few rules to make the unit better. A cool idea would be to have the legionary eagle give buffs as a pseudo magic item. I'd avoid stubborn as a catch all rule. Steadfast works well enough but some extra rules would be good.

Essentially what I'm getting at is convert all of the roman units into standard fantasy equivalents as a base to work from then add in extras. Perhaps use the tribe that produces mages as a special unit where the champion is a level 1 wizard with a fireball. Little extras like that would add the character you want. See if you can get hold of any relevant warhammer ancient battles books to have a look through as these would give a nice balanced basis for starting stats and even points.

Hope that helps

A

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast