Nippon - a NEW Warhammer Fantasy Battle Army (unofficial) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nippon - a NEW Warhammer Fantasy Battle Army (unofficial)

A top quality (and FREE) unofficial army book (PDF)

Click army book cover for review or

Jump straight to the Nippon download and feedback links

http://whfm.blogspot.com (inspiring Warhammer !) http://battlereporter.blogspot.com (Warhammer News) http://battlereporter.freeforums.org (my WFB forum) http://2d6.blogspot.com (180+ battle reports) http://naut1.blogspot.com (new WFB army - Nauticans)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Matt.Elia already posted this here. Good book if you're in to L5R.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

I like the picture of Date Masamune at the Summer Seige of Osaka that they used for the cover.

JvK
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

Yeah, that is an awesome picture. It's the cover to Age of Empires 3, the Asian Dynasties, and it looks perfect for a Warhammer book. If you look through it, he sources a lot of really high quality art - mostly from L5R, but there's no shame in that, it's the widest range of Feudal Japan-themed pictures that you'll find that are all done in the same style and quality, and look like they belong in a GW publication.
    I'll say that the rules are solid too, it's not broken or unbalanced, it fits in with 8th edition. My only gripe has always been the same with this book - I don't really care for the fluff. That's minor though, and doesn't matter on a tabletop standpoint - all the big units are there, Ninjas, Arquebus and Ashigaru, Samurai, different Japanese demons and mythic creatures, and your Daimyo and other commanders, so you can build just about any army from it.
    Neither of us are making any money off this, I'm still dragging on publishing mine to .pdf, and Matthias's name carries a lot more weight in the home-brew community than what mine does (or probably ever will), so you have a better shot at random strangers letting you use his book over mine. A lot of that owes to the quality and quantity of his other projects, which are also all very good.
    The only differences between his book and mine are slight - he pulls more units from the L5R setting and sticks to established rule styles, making those units a lot easier for opponents to swallow (no weird boundspells like mine), whereas I tried to make the army unique to both the setting and it's play-style and not cannibalize too much from other armies and sources.

I gave Matthias hell a while back, and feel kinda bad for that. This is my honest opinion of his work - I think that it's very good. Neither book is any more "valid" than the other, they're both homebrew and GW will never touch them, however your opponent is probably more likely to allow you to use his stuff over mine. I've responded to people who've sent me PMs and comments about opponents not allowing my book and told them to give his a shot because his stuff generally will be more accepted and at least for the moment looks like a more finished product. The book is balanced, the rules are all very clear, recognizable, and easy to follow. The only complaint that I have about the execution - and they are minor ones - is that I'm not a fan of how much fluff is taken almost directly from the L5R setting, and I feel that the army itself is too similar to other officials, rather than trying to branch out and be 'the 15th armybook' to Fantasy.

I'd give it a solid 4 out of 5 though. Definitely one of my favorite books that he's done, but I'm a sucker for Japan, haha.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Yeah, that is an awesome picture. It's the cover to Age of Empires 3, the Asian Dynasties, and it looks perfect for a Warhammer book. If you look through it, he sources a lot of really high quality art - mostly from L5R, but there's no shame in that, it's the widest range of Feudal Japan-themed pictures that you'll find that are all done in the same style and quality, and look like they belong in a GW publication.
    I'll say that the rules are solid too, it's not broken or unbalanced, it fits in with 8th edition. My only gripe has always been the same with this book - I don't really care for the fluff. That's minor though, and doesn't matter on a tabletop standpoint - all the big units are there, Ninjas, Arquebus and Ashigaru, Samurai, different Japanese demons and mythic creatures, and your Daimyo and other commanders, so you can build just about any army from it.
    Neither of us are making any money off this, I'm still dragging on publishing mine to .pdf, and Matthias's name carries a lot more weight in the home-brew community than what mine does (or probably ever will), so you have a better shot at random strangers letting you use his book over mine. A lot of that owes to the quality and quantity of his other projects, which are also all very good.
    The only differences between his book and mine are slight - he pulls more units from the L5R setting and sticks to established rule styles, making those units a lot easier for opponents to swallow (no weird boundspells like mine), whereas I tried to make the army unique to both the setting and it's play-style and not cannibalize too much from other armies and sources.

I gave Matthias hell a while back, and feel kinda bad for that. This is my honest opinion of his work - I think that it's very good. Neither book is any more "valid" than the other, they're both homebrew and GW will never touch them, however your opponent is probably more likely to allow you to use his stuff over mine. I've responded to people who've sent me PMs and comments about opponents not allowing my book and told them to give his a shot because his stuff generally will be more accepted and at least for the moment looks like a more finished product. The book is balanced, the rules are all very clear, recognizable, and easy to follow. The only complaint that I have about the execution - and they are minor ones - is that I'm not a fan of how much fluff is taken almost directly from the L5R setting, and I feel that the army itself is too similar to other officials, rather than trying to branch out and be 'the 15th armybook' to Fantasy.

I'd give it a solid 4 out of 5 though. Definitely one of my favorite books that he's done, but I'm a sucker for Japan, haha.
    Thanks Saratai, appreciate that. Have you read through the latest version though? I have rewritten their entire history, their geography and their clans, and redid almost the entire bestiary, removing all L5R units and characters from it and brought my own ideas from the 7th ed list back instead in the new one. The only thing that has anything to do with L5R in the current version is some artwork (most pics are just normal samurai), the customs and culture section minus the old religion (and without any references to the L5R clans), and few snippets of fluff that make of part of the bestiary.
    Like I said in a post a few months ago, this was something I didn't intend to do for about a year, but your criticism kind of "inspired" me to improve upon it and do it now rather than later. The current version is if anything, kind of like the Empire version of Japan - lots of historical units that make up the human units, but mythological creatures instead of crazy steampunk war machines. As a bit of a history buff, I have always preferred to build my armies around the real culture and history of whatever army I am working on, it usually makes it easier for other people to feel more at home with it as well. All in all, I feel quite happy with this current version - it's not a L5R rip off any more in terms of fluff or units, and though it might not contain any units that are wholly original (Sumo Warriors, Kabuki Dolls and Great Guard are the first for any Nippon list though I believe), it still feel suitable warhammerish with fantasy elements rather than being just WAB samurai in fantasy, imo.
    Anyway, still hope to see your version of Nippon soon

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

I haven't read your update just yet. I'm glad to hear that the L5R stuff is gone, that really kinda set my teeth on edge. I play the L5R roleplay game and love it, but that game is also very similar to Warhammer in that it doesn't really give an accurate depiction of Japan so much as it gives a stylized one. The problem for us is two-fold, firstly, people think they know about Japan when they know about L5R, and two, if you try to go from stylized to stylized without stopping off at 'accurate' in the middle, it goes all wonky along the way.
    I couldn't bring myself to add in the Sumos, although I like the way that you worked them in. I just had someone trying to get me to toss in Geisha, but I thought of your Kabuki Dolls and my promise from the beginning to try and avoid recasting civilian roles as fighters, and kept them out. Besides, if I put them in, they'd be assassins, and I have those already.

I haven't read this most recent update - I thought it was a re-post. I'm not going to right now either. I'm working on getting my fluff ironed out, and trying to figure out if/how I'm going to do a 'hobby' section with models etc in the book. Part of me wants to, but I haven't assembled or painted all of my own minis yet and can't find many quality shots on the web.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I can understand that. I think the fluff for L5R is great, but it's not Warhammer - the only reason I went all out L5R in the first place was as a time saver, for there were just so many different army books I wanted to make at the time. Heck, during 2010 alone I published 10 books, often within less than a month apart! Now that I have practically gone full circle (I still publish new books every now and then, but they are usually smaller affairs), I can spend more time on each book update, making them more personal affairs where I can write more myself.

If you do read the new Nippon book sometime in the future, just make sure you have the latest version; you can see when it was posted for each book and what was changed here : Warhammer Armies Project

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

I really enjoyed reading the book. I could see Nippon being an extremely annoying army to face as they have a ton of ways to avoid being killed, even though they are not especially strong, and extracting the points out of units would be tough work.

+ Reply to Thread