empire fluff help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

empire fluff help

Hi i am looking to wright some fluff for my empire army that i am converting but have never really been any good at wrighting fluff.
    I am wanting it to be about a empire army that went to the chaos wast lands for some reason and was never seen or heard of again and after so meany years later find there way home and to represent this i am going to be giving my entire army chaos weapons and shields and probably going to have some chaos heads hanging from the sadels and banners.

I hope all that made sence and i would be greatfull for as much help as posible

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

The wastes aren't really a good place for anyone to be wandering around in. Even the Chaos Warriors who live there have a hard time surviving. Also, the closer you get to the poles (either of them, though the Wastes are to the North) the greater the likelihood of corruption or outright possession becomes. To say that an army spent years in the Wastes before returning home is going to be a bit of a stretch - the Empire usually loses entire armies and even regions, to Chaos invasions, so an isolated, unsupplied, single army wouldn't stand much of a chance.

On the bright side however, the region that many consider to be the 'Wastes' expands and contracts as the forces of Chaos grow or decrease in strength. During the invasion of the first Everchosen, Asavar Kul, the Wastes expanded to cover much of Northern Kislev. Although it has been reconned from much of the fluff, the second invasion, by Archaon, expanded the wastes even further and almost devoured Kislev entirely. Furthermore, time and distance flows differently in the Wastes - an army can cover 1,000 miles in a single day, or record a week in the Wastes but find that a hundred years have passed for the rest of the world.

The Empire fights against Chaos so often that it would be more likely that the trophies that your army has collected were taken from invading forces, rather than the other way around. An army fighting during either the Great War Against Chaos, or the Storm of Chaos, would have plenty of access to all sorts of trophies. Granted, most "mere mortal" humans view anything having to do with Chaos in much the same way that 40k Imperials do: that is, you don't touch it unless you want to openly invite the attentions of Chaos into your home, which of course is Heresy worthy of having a Witchhunter track you down.

If you want to keep the 'Chaos Wastes Survivors' element of your story, I would say that they were caught in an expansion of the Wastes during a battle. Perhaps during one of the invasions, when the Empire sent several armies to aid the Kislevites. The army marches North, realizes that the borders of Chaos have expanded, fight a battle, and then try to escape. Because of the time/distance anomalies, what they thought would be a journey of just a few days' marching, becomes a treacherous journey which takes them several months, and when they finally return to a friendly Kislevite city or the Empire, they discover that a hundred years have passed and their entire force had been considered lost during the war. You could do a lot of interesting things with that kind of story as well - would the Empire welcome the army back into it's borders after so many strange occurrences at the hands of Chaos? Is it a ploy by the Chaos Gods to sneak a servant back into the Empire in the guise of an old hero? Has the army truly returned untainted? How do the main figures (and the regular soldiers) cope with returning to a world that has moved on 100 years past their time?
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I like the idea of patrolling Kislev. Maybe they wandered a little bit too far north and got lost just north of the border. They somehow ended up having to use Chaos stuff to survive (I dunno, eat some of the creatures that lived in the area, hunt with a Marauder's spear if something happens to your own) and then they find themselves back in Kislev today and the jury's out on whether those Chaos things have done anything to them. You could say they went back to the Empire and then forced to leave just as quickly (or they just knew they wouldn't be allowed back) so they wander around Kislev again.

Or you could have a bit of fun with the Counts As rule and just say they've turned to Chaos. Buy some Chaos Knights and use them as Imperial ones (the figures are so much cooler, for a start) and go nuts with mixing and matching kits.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an old post, but if you are still doing this I think this is a great idea, and sounds like very fun converting. Chaos are not invincible, even though the chaos army books projects this image, the setting is written to allow a high degree of freedom within the context and established lore. The first thought that came to my mind was Hannibal crossing the alps, an out of place army in a hostile, deadly and new environment.

I would suggest converting a really awesome warrior priest to use as your arch lector, with heavier armor and bigger weapons. As your army have been lost for a long time and not succumb to the chaos energies a powerfull arch lector could have been the reason for your army keeping it's purity and faith.

Considering Hannibal, only the most physical fit and strongest warriors made it accross the alps, I would go quality over quantity, also Hannibals army always changed their barbarian weapons for Roman weapons and shields. You could dismiss the "tainted" weapons by saying the arch lector/warrior priest purified them through prayer to Sigmar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly, Mathias the Witch Hunter General would declare this unit to be Chaos worshippers and go after them, based on what you are describing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GMJoeSolarte View Post
    Sadly, Mathias the Witch Hunter General would declare this unit to be Chaos worshippers and go after them, based on what you are describing.
    Sadly, Mathias declared Bernhardt to be heretic but nobody cares so it doesn't matters what Mathias says

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I suppose it COULD happen if nothing is going on. For example, as much as things kept happening between Matthias and Bernhardt, because the Grudgebringers were on the official Imperial payroll and were in direct missions as given by both the Emperor and the Grand Theonogist, there was only so much Matthias could do during the entire DARK OMEN saga.

+ Reply to Thread