VC Fluff, bit of help would be appreciated. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    514 (x7)

VC Fluff, bit of help would be appreciated.

Greetingswise Lorekeepers of the Fantasy Universe,

Today I gawked at the GW website and noticed, for the first time (what rock have I been living under eh? :p) the 'new' VC stuff and my dark,rotten, cold blooded heart immediately fell in love with them. So I immediately purchased the rulebook and the most expensive paints set I could find. Now I just finished reading the former and while I wait for the latter to arrive I figured I can treat myself to the most fun aspect of the hobby for me: Fluff.

Now I already had a rough idea in my head and luckily most of it is still usable after reading the armybook but there are still some holes left to fill.

/*------------------------------------------------------*/

Aiden Devalkyrie was a man in the prime of his life, his parents died to disease early on and he had learned to take care for himself early on, honing his instincts and charm while looking for food and shelter on the docks of Windhaven, a middle sized town on the river Stir, he led a simple life as a 'priest of Ranald' and was able to live relatively comfortable from the schemes he made and the pockets he picked, but he wasn't satisfied, no matter who's pocket he picked, no matter how much coin filled his hands he never felt complete.
    The one thing he craved the most was something no thief could steal no matter how skilled, for it was the hand of lady Ivy, daughter of the mayor of Windhaven, that he longed for. Charming as Aiden was, he was and would always be a lowly peasant and stood no chance of getting her attention, let alone her affection.
    It was one a ordinary day as so many before had passed when he saw an opportunity to change his life forever, rumour had it a magician of some sort was staying in the Brazen Mermaid and Aiden was certain a mage would have a lot of arcane
    stuff, trinkets and treasures that he could steal and become so unbelievable rich he could buy himself into the nobility.

Needles to say this goes horrible wrong, the mage in question turns out to be a servant of a vampire and Aiden gets caught, his motivation, love, is a powerful stimulant in magic and exactly what the vampire needed for a ritual to make him stronger, the mage realises this and instead of killing him he subdues Aiden and takes him to the vampire's lair.
    The ritual is successful, and due to Aiden's natural charm and resourcefulness the vampire decided to make Aiden his new apprentice, as the wizard had died during the ritual.

Aiden learns fast and grows in power with each passing day, of course this doesn't go unnoticed and his master plots to kill him, but Aiden hasn't sat idle himself and in the end it is the pupil is the undoing of his master.

He returns to Windhaven, using his magic to make him appear as he always had. Using his new power he subtly charms his was in the circles of the high and mighty and it isn't before long till he finally achieves what he longed for for so long, finally marrying Ivy, who Aiden turned soon after their marriage.

--some time goes by----

After a night of bloodshed, on which the two drank the blood of those unfortunate enough to be in Windhaven they ventured out into the old world, looking for more power and worthier cities in which they could manifest themselves in position of power.

/*---------------------------------*/

That's it so far (),
    basically Aiden and Ivy 'infiltrate' the nobility of cities, until they either are discovered or bored and promptly create havoc before moving on.

I want to run an army using zombies and dire wolves as a core, figuring that both are somewhat readily available to summon/resurrect when the need arises so it fits with my fluff.
    The problem I have is to find a solid reason to explain the presence of Vargheists in my army (love the models!) and a zombie dragon/terrorgheist (also awesome!)

they are somewhat difficult to keep hidden, and also not something you just 'pull out of the ground'.
    Any ideas to help me out? as always C&C on my fluff is also greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ipshank; August 1st, 2013 at 23:20.
    Me after fixing the alarm: Praise the Omnissiah!
    Mom: You've been writing stuff again, haven't you?
    All hail Odinsgrandson and His divine cake toppers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

As far as the Vargheist/Terorgheist go, perhaps they could "hide out" on your Lord's country estate.
    (WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    514 (x7)

Hmm sounds plausible, a bat cave of some sort. (no pun intended).

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

If you're down for it, you could convert and/or paint them to look a bit more ethereal, and say that they are "summons".

That, or maybe they just lie waiting in the wings. It would be kind of cool to imagine that your Vampires roll into town with large, covered carts that they refuse to let anyone near (Carnival of Chaos, sort of). That, or perhaps part of the suspicions raised by your newcomers is the fact that ever since they've come to town, there have been reports of strange noises and howls coming from the woods, and a few hunters/woodsmen have gone missing (implying that the beasties are hiding in the woods outside of town).

Part of the problem that I have with working fluff for Vampires, is that Vampires by nature are secretive. They're built to infiltrate society, that's part of what makes them so cool. Zombies, and especially as you say - the big stuff from their army - doesn't fit in quite so well. Therefore, when you're writing fluff, you either write it just about the Vampires, and have them sneaking through the populace, as you have, or you write about them reaching that last straw, where they summon up hordes of monsters and do battle on a wide scale.

Perhaps, rather than a "bat cave", your Vampires live in a forest or mountain? Maybe they lead very spartan, almost feral lives in their actual home, and therefore seek to carve out a kingdom from the towns and castles surrounding them. They show up, they give the whole "serve me in life or slave for me in death" speech, and then either the place welcomes them, or they return to their lair, assemble the troops, and come back with an army. Nobody knows where they make their base, and perhaps sometimes they are even driven out by Witch Hunters, Priests, or militia who think they have the upper hand, only to have the vampires come back with an unstoppable horde of undead minions. Maybe a few of the towns even end up making tithes to the vampires - leaving virgins tied up at the edges of the forest, etc. They might not even remember who the sacrifices are for - they could easily believe that it's for some wrathful forest spirit, the deal having been established generations ago, between their ancestors and the same vampires they are sating today.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

514 (x7)

Couldn't agree more with you Sarathai! I 'love' the whole secrecy thing most vampires have, and the 'brains first, brawns later' mentality you can give them more then most other races.

I'm not really home in the world of 'magic' and not sure what can be achieved by a mage and if it depends what 'wind' they use of what they can do, and if there are some stuff that practically every mage can do (mind reading, telekinesis etc), let alone the weird vampiric stuff.
    As you can imagine I'm spending a lot of time on lexicanum catching up on stuff. xD

Ivy will become a powerful sorceress, is it an idea that hey have a hidden lair somewhere deep in the forest (Forest of Shadows a good location?) and that she uses her magic to conceal it from sight if looked upon from far away and radiate some sort of aura around it that makes living creatures feel a odd sense of wrongness when they get too close and makes (most) beings stay clear?

The Ethereal/summoned idea is going on my 'to do list', What's more awesome then creatures ripped ones' nightmares and made real? SUMMONED creatures of ones' nightmares and made real! Plus it adds to the idea of power Ivy has, being able to conjure that kind of 'shit'. (Aiden will be more of a 'when the going gets tough.. rip hearts out' type of guy, though hardly a Rambo figure ofc).

Thanks for the input, hows the Nippon project going?

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

For the converting, it wouldn't take too much to make the monsters look ethereal - any sharp tips on the model would just need a bit of a "flame" effect to make it look like a breeze is blowing the smoke or "ethereal stuff" around. It's the same think that GW likes to do. This guy has a pretty good tutorial on using clear silicone gel to make flames, which would be the same idea. He could not possibly be more American though, haha. I live here, and his accent annoys me, it's like listening to a more articulate George Bush talk about nerd stuff.
    How to Create and Paint Realistic Fire For Miniatures and Figures, Vid 150 - YouTube
    On a side note, this stuff also works for generic water effects, ice, and also drool and spittle on your monsters.

As for the Nippon Project, it's not really a project anymore - it's finished, published in pdf format. I tried to have it printed by a company called "Book1One", who do hardcovers and offer the option to print the covers and spines as well, and having looked at their projects they easily pass for GW standard. They sent me a message saying that they would be unable to print it however, since it uses copywritten logos and images. Fair enough. I've been trying to get the models together, but lately my hobbying has been on hold, as I'm leaving home and moving into an apartment, and had to put down a security deposit, plus set aside some money for furnishings.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

If you would indulge me, I may continue with a little writing. If you like it, by all means use it, if not, no harm no foul.

---------------

As Aiden's power grew his act stopped being an act. No longer did he have to fake being nobility as amongst the spirits of the dead he truly was. The riches he plundered from noble functions; functions that he charmed his way into no doubt, only to rob blind of jewels and art; grew. Carted away and stored in a hamlet surrounding a small keep in the moor to the east of the river Stir. Few peasants in this area question what happens here, for they know to simply till the land and they shall live, questions make people disappear. Whatever Lord keeps this land, he is never home and the crown has never once attempted to tax this hamlet, it's almost as though no-one knows it's there.

Happily for Aiden and his lovely lady wife, it does exist, and within it thralls to his cause pay for all manner of strange things on behalf of their master. More recently a renaissance in gothic art has occurred and a rekindling of the art of sculpture is amongst the trends. It is not uncommon to see large stone gargoyles atop the city walls, castle fixtures, and even the walls of the graveyard or spire of the church grounds. With the necrotic magics the thralls have spread, it has become a common sight for Aiden to reach a town to which he has decided his masquerade will spread only to find his gargoyles already adorn the outer walls of the very banqueting hall he's due to dine in that night. Should the need arise they may come to life as easily as the spirits in the wind or the bones in the ground, and join him on his requiem.

Throughout their many travels Aiden and Ivy have spawned many a rumour, though nothing widespread for it would hinder their enjoyment should their secret come out, and they do so love the danse macabre. Still, it is said by some that a caravan passes whenever his lordship is in town, for Lady Ivy must travel in comfort. At least 5 carts travel with them at all times, to keep with them the homely belonging that one must have at their status, though the peasantry oft claim weird and mystical things are kept within those carts. The voices on the wind even say the last remains of Aiden's old master, his sire, lay within one of those carts. No-one can know for sure and not even the dead would dare confirm such a claim. A skeptical man may say it's simply the belongings of a noble merchant. Indeed, it is quite likely that these are the very same caravans that take Aiden's accumulated wealth back to his keep and that rumour is simply rumour. Some however, claim they can hear the roar of a dragon on the wind, and it is said that within the coaches lays the scattered remains of three, maybe four dragons... well, pieces of them at least. Should the winds grow especially cruel, and Aiden's will fall sour, his thralls prepare the ritual and sewn together the pieces fly again as one, serving their master as he lays waste to yet another unsuspecting holding.

All the more sweater though is when the town truly grows to love him, "a noble merchant here to make our lives better, to spread riches throughout the town", they cry, only to hear the roar the following night. It's on those nights the spirits awaken, for as we've said, Aiden truly is nobility now in the land of the dead. It is said that on those nights the horsemen of death itself join the slaughter, stealing souls without even cutting down the men who own them. After all, as Aiden knows, love is a powerful force and the spirit world delights in sharing in it's resplendent glow with him.

---------------

This would allow for Vargheists, Varghulfs, Hexwraiths, Cairn Wraiths, Spirit Hosts, The Black Coach, and a Zombie Dragon. I hope you like the added fluff, feel free to use as much or as little of it as you like.
    Last edited by TornadoCreator; August 3rd, 2013 at 14:06. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

514 (x7)

That's just.. amazing, it reads so incredibly well!

It captures what I want almost spot on an reads like a charm, in fact that's about the only 'problem' I have with it: It's so well written that my lowly scribblings make it look odd and out of place. So now I'm working on adapting it to the lowered standard of my non native English speaking barbarian ways and I have the almost irresistible urge to yell 'BLASPHEMY'....

Now, may I invite you to join the others at the Arts&Literature forum? It's a place were people who like to write post their stuff (be it Warhammer 40k/Fb related or not), I for one am curious what you've written.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

I'll certainly check out the Arts & Literature forum, but I can't say I'll have much to contribute. Almost everything I've written is improvised works and little of it is ever actually written down. I've been GMing pen and paper roleplaying games such as Shadowrun, World Of Darkness and more for over a decade now, so telling a story, describing a scene, it's something I've grown to enjoy a lot. I've always meant to write something more concrete, a short story perhaps, but I don't have the discipline I think.

Still, thanks for the compliments, and certainly don't feel put out by it. I'm sure writing in a foreign language is far harder than it seems, particularly English which I'm well aware often doesn't follow it's own rules. One things for sure, your English is better than my Dutch.

+ Reply to Thread