Charging and charge path - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charging and charge path

evening all! I actually have 2 rules questions but will seperate them. So here's number 1!

In a recent game we had an issue with a unit that wanted to charge in an existing combat.

Scenario:

Block of Saurus Warriors and Stegadon flush with eachother vs a unit of Skullcrushers. Skullcrushers "moved" sideways slightly to maximize base contact between the two Lizardmen units (lizards could not move due to impassible terrain). CC resolved and we took it to round 2 and 3.

On round 3, the Chaos player wanted to charge his Warrior unit in to the fray, but the middle of his unit was 1" behind the juggernauts so the "free wheel" was impossible to complete unless the Juggernauts moved over as far as they could.

Now here's the question:
    If the skullcrushers were already involved in a CC, could they have moved over to allow the Warriors to charge? Or would the warriors have to reform/sidestep until they had a clear path with the free wheel to touch any of the lizardmen units? Please note that at that time the skullcrushers were still positioned to maximize 100% base contact between all units engaged at that time, and were essentially taking up the middle of the battlefront.

I said the warriors were SOL until they could move to the side enough to get a wheel maneuver in that would allow them to touch, friend said he doesn't know why Juggy's wouldn't move over to allow to bring in more combatants. We looked in the book and could not find an example with this kind of situation, only that units in combat maximize base contact and how to go about it.

Ended up coming down to him pushing me past frustration and me letting him move his skullcrushers resulting in my utter demise.

Can anyone please clarify what is supposed to happen in this situation and if possible give me a reference page in the BRB? Thanks!

Warriors of Chaos > 3,000
    Skaven <1,500
    Life - TBA

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

Models in close combat can only move at the end of the combat phase, using a combat reform. So the warriors where unable to charges. I can't give you any reference right now as I don't have my book with me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So after a full round of CC, the skullcrushers could have combat reformed (Ld test) to move more to the side as long as they didn't come out of base contact with either of the units they were engaged with to open a wide enough lane for his movement phase for charging. I figured there was something in the rules that would allow them to move (as they seem very eager to see as many heads rolling as soon as possible in this edition) but had no idea where I would find it. Thanks for the info, will definitely help in future games.
    Skaven <1,500
    Life - TBA

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by alfyb623 View Post
    So after a full round of CC, the skullcrushers could have combat reformed (Ld test) to move more to the side as long as they didn't come out of base contact with either of the units they were engaged with to open a wide enough lane for his movement phase for charging. I figured there was something in the rules that would allow them to move (as they seem very eager to see as many heads rolling as soon as possible in this edition) but had no idea where I would find it. Thanks for the info, will definitely help in future games.
    There is another restriction, the need to be at least the same amount of models in combat on both sides after the reform.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

Ended up coming down to him pushing me past frustration and me letting him move his skullcrushers resulting in my utter demise.
    There's a rule for this kind of situations: "If you find that you and your opponent cannot agree on the application of a rule, roll a dice to see whose interpretation will apply for the remainder of the game - on a result of 1-3 player A gets to decide, on a 4-6 player B decides." This is serious and not a joke.

Remember also that you don't need to maintain 1" distance to any units when charging, seems to me from the description that this was part of the problem, but I might have misunderstood.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had the center of the warriors unit positioned 1" behind the center of the Skullcrusher unit. He was moving them forward one behind the other the first couple turns in a "trainlike" fashion.
    Skaven <1,500
    Life - TBA

+ Reply to Thread