<2000 2000 pt build- new to battling - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 pt build- new to battling

So this is my army and was wondering what i should do?

Brettonian army
    1 lord-
    barded warhorse, sword of heroes, siriennes locket, knights vow
    total=200

Heroes
    damsel-lvl 1
    barded warhorse, dispel scroll
    total = 119- lore of life

paladin
    royal pegasus, shield, gauntlet of the duel, Morning Star of Fracasse, enchanted shield, virtue of confidence
    total = 180

paladin- brett standard bearer
    knight's vow, virtue of purity
    total = 90

rare-
    Grail Knights-
    standard bearer, Muscian, banner of defense
    total=240

1 trebuchet

core units
    10 knights of the realm
    musician
    total = 240

9 knights errant
    musician, standaed bearer, errantry banner
    total=221

28 peasant bowmen
    full command, braziers(flaming attacks)
    total = 193

16 men at arms-
    full command
    total = 107

special units-
    7 questing knights
    musician1
    total=196

total=1876
    i do have 3 pegasus knights so i kinda want to use them but some help would be great

Last edited by CaptainSarathai; February 10th, 2015 at 04:24. Reason: no "naked" points costs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

My opinions are as follows:

1. Break up the Bowmen into two units. This lets them split their attacks - or shoot together, if needed. There is no need to have them assemble in ranks, just long rows so everyone shoots.
    2. Not enough Men at arms to do anything. Go ahead and use the points for your PKs - they will be much more useful.
    3. I never found the points and limitations of a Royal Pegasus worth it. Just make him a regular and stick him with the other PKs. Three together always works good for me.
    4. One level one Damsel may not be enough to give much protection, but it could be worth it. Since she's in the middle of the Knight block, dump the barding and save the points.
    5. I prefer for every lance of 9, I have another lance of 6 with no command. The 6 lance works to combo charge with the 9, or work a flank, if possible. Also, since with every unit you get a free champ, it gets you an extra attack. And with smaller units you don't have as many sitting idle in the middle back ranks - especially on the charge. A combo charge with a lance of 9 and a lance of 6 gets a few more attacks than just one big lance.
    6. Six questing knights are plenty, if you choose to use them. I like mine and have gotten mixed results, but just don't send them by themselves against anything terrible. Let them chew up some basic infantry and they will do fine.
    7. Some will say GKs are not worth it, but I love them and always take them.
    8. The treb is great. You may find with some of the points you save that you want to add another, but another lance of 6 KoR might to tactically more useful - up to you.

Good Luck and let the simple folk know how you fare!
    Three Roads Dreamt - My novella collection is now available! Action Suspense, Fantasy and Sci-Fi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so i did a little bit of editing how is this?

Brettonian army
    Lords- 1 lord-
    barded warhorse
    sword of heroes
    siriennes locket
    knights vow
    total=200

Heroes

damsel-lvl 1 (lore of life)
    warhorse
    barding
    dispel scroll
    total-119

damsel-level 2
    potion sacre
    total= 115
    lore of beasts==== voided didnt know if i should bring the dmasel on horse or her

paladin
    barded warhorse
    shield
    gauntlet of the duel
    morning star of Farcasse
    enchanted shield
    virtue of confidence
    total-144

paladin
    barded warhorse
    brett standard bearer
    knights vow
    virtue of purity
    armour of agiluf
    sword of might
    total-139

rare-
    Grail Knights
    Standard Bearer
    banner of defense
    Musician
    Total-240

1 trebuchet

core units
    10 knights of the realm
    muscian
    total-240

9 knights errant
    musician
    standard bearer
    errantry banner
    total=221

14 peasant bowmen
    full command
    total-104

14 peasant bowmen
    full command
    total-104

special units-
    7 questing knights
    musician1
    total-196

3 pegasus knights
    full command
    total-195

right now i dont think i have enough to make a smaller knight force i was hopefully going to use my questing and grail to break the charges after my errants and knight of the realm went through,
    two squads of bowmen as you said
    three pegasus knights as you said i threw out the man at arms but i'm worried that i might have put too much in my heroes and not enough in the namsel?
    Last edited by CaptainSarathai; February 10th, 2015 at 04:29. Reason: more 'naked' costs

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Hi Snubbs, welcome to LO, to Fantasy, and to Brets. First things first, we've got to get the forum rules out of the way - you can't post individual points costs for your items or any non-upgraded units. So you can't tell us that 10 Knights cost 80pts, and that you paid 10pts for their Banner, but you can tell us that the entire unit cost you 90pts. I've already edited your first two posts for you, just try to avoid making the same mistake in the future.

Now, as for your list:
    Quote Originally Posted by snubbs21 View Post

Brettonian army
    Lords- 1 lord-
    barded warhorse
    sword of heroes
    siriennes locket
    knights vow
    total=200
    An actual Wardsave would be really good here, since he's your General after all. Wards and good Armor are always more important than a magic weapon.

Heroes

damsel-lvl 1 (lore of life)
    warhorse
    barding
    dispel scroll
    total-119

damsel-level 2
    potion sacre
    total= 115
    lore of beasts==== voided didnt know if i should bring the dmasel on horse or her
    I'd always put the Damsal on a horse, to take advantage of being able to position them in the second rank of a lance. You have the easiest time keeping your casters safe, compared to any other army with unarmored wizards.
    The point that MDSW made about the single Damsal not being much for defense - he's right. Most armies prefer a L4 over a "combat Lord", so you're going to be contending with +4s against your +1. That goes for Casting and Dispelling, so a L1 on your end is less likely to stop inbound spells, and less likely to cast anything of her own as well.
    Bret combat lords are good, but they're of secondary importance - they aren't doing anything but generating more kills, and your Knight blocks can do that on their own. I'd dump your Lord allowance into a L4 first, and then grab the fighty-lord second. Remember, you're allowed 50% Lords and 50% Heroes now, thanks to the End Times based FAQs.

paladin
    barded warhorse
    shield
    gauntlet of the duel
    morning star of Farcasse
    enchanted shield
    virtue of confidence
    total-144
    You can only have 1 shield. If you take the Enchanted Shield, it replaces your normal shield. You're spending points that you don't need to. What's the point of this Pally, anyways?

paladin
    barded warhorse
    brett standard bearer
    knights vow
    virtue of purity
    armour of agiluf
    sword of might
    total-139
    Again - Wardsaves and armor should always come before magic weapons. Characters are expensive, and opponents can choose to target them in combat. If they're easy to kill, you're handing away Victory Points. Most armies and players will have somthing like a 1+ Armor and 4+ Ward on their BSB and General. I've seen armies that can get their hands on 3W BSBs with T5+ and 1+ rerollable saves, or 3+ Wards.

rare-
    Grail Knights
    Standard Bearer
    banner of defense
    Musician
    Total-240
    I'm one of the guys who says that these guys are a coin-toss unit. They're not bad, they hit SUPER hard, but only on the charge. They were the elite of all the game's heavy cavalry once, but those days have passed and now we've got Monstrous Cavalry and Blood Knights or Chaos Knights to contend with. I'd use these guys in TINY units, just to add a bit of "punch" to existing charges. But if you're going that route, you could also just spend the points on Paladins and throw them directly into the units who need the support. This is especially true if you equip your Pallies with weapons that help to even up the kill-deficit *off* the charge.

1 trebuchet

core units
    10 knights of the realm
    musician
    total-240
    Big Knight bus you've got here. Assuming that you're adding at least 2 characters to it, and going 3x4?

9 knights errant
    musician
    standard bearer
    errantry banner
    total=221
    I'd consider the Errantry Banner a bit "meh", altogether. You could probably do better getting some points elsewhere.

14 peasant bowmen
    full command
    total-104

14 peasant bowmen
    full command
    total-104
    Unless you need the commands to meet your minimum points requirements (you don't - if you did, you'd use them on Knight commands) you don't actually want to give Bowmen any upgrades except *maybe* flaming arrows on one unit. There's stuff in the game with Regen, cancelled by Flame, but there are also units who cancel Flaming attacks almost entirely, so you never want to over commit. I've never really liked Bret Bowmen to begin with though - the army is fast, and meant to get in there and start slicing and dicing by Turn2. The only reason to take Bowmen is if you need to clear chaff, which I will admit is a worthy cause for them.

special units-
    7 questing knights
    musician1
    total-196
    nah. They're ASL for S5 and a 3+ save. If we ever get an update that gives all the Knights in the army Full Plate, then we'll be golden. Until then, it's unfortunate, but I've found that it's better to use Pallies to add "lasting damage" to your Knights, and then just spam tons of cheap Knight blocks, rather than fielding too many Grail Knights or ANY Questing Knights.

3 pegasus knights
    full command
    total-195
    Good, but I'd ditch the Champion - he's going to be forced to accept challenges, and against regiments and the like, it will take the Champ's attacks as well as the Peg's attacks out of the unit. You'll waste all that effort on killing a Champion, when you could have been thinning out the back rank.

right now i dont think i have enough to make a smaller knight force i was hopefully going to use my questing and grail to break the charges after my errants and knight of the realm went through,
    two squads of bowmen as you said
    three pegasus knights as you said i threw out the man at arms but i'm worried that i might have put too much in my heroes and not enough in the namsel?
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Hi Snubbs, welcome to LO, to Fantasy, and to Brets. First things first, we've got to get the forum rules out of the way - you can't post individual points costs for your items or any non-upgraded units. So you can't tell us that 10 Knights cost 80pts, and that you paid 10pts for their Banner, but you can tell us that the entire unit cost you 90pts. I've already edited your first two posts for you, just try to avoid making the same mistake in the future.

Now, as for your list:
    thank you so much! sorry about not reading the rulse i wanted to get show my potential army .

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x4)

Hi there Hope your well.

I would drop bret lord take a level 4 beast and a level 1 life with the chalice and paladins to fit.

Take 2 trebs and 2 units of long bows with braziers no command wast of points and take peg knights these will be your reactive force

Sadly grail knights are to pricey for what they do I find brets are the kind of army that work well nearly all in core.

i don't think your characters need a ward the lady will protect. if your taking Men at arms you need them in a deep formation for ranks or a horde. I personally just take treb and archers as my only peasents and i run deep formations of knights its not for everyone otherwise take 9 and 6 for double charges. If you want to be mean 8 KoTR Level 4 beast and a front rank of paladins with 1+ armour saves (2 with re rolls) then bubble savage beast and pans hide and watch them roll through anything. I would take a unit of knights errant with errantry banner (i take 15 in this unit to break steadfast) and then 8 koTR with life level 1 and pair up with either another 9 unit of KoTR or 6 Questing Knights.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the feed back everyone im trying to take a little from everyone. also im strapped for cash atm so i still need to find myself a prophetess- and a treb-

Brettonian army
    Lords- 1 lord-
    barded warhorse-
    biting blade-
    talisman of protection-
    gromil great helm-
    knights vow total=189

Prophetess-level 4-staff of sorcery-275

Heroes

paladin-60-barded warhorse- Wyrmlance- enchanted shield -
    = 104

paladin-barded warhorse 14-Brett standard bearer-with knights vow
    virtue of purity- Armour of Agiluf -sword of might =119

rare-
    Grail Knights-200 with (standard bearer Muscian) with
    banner of defense =240

1 trebuchet=90

core units
    10 knights of the realm- musician, standard bearer,champ -with war banner = 240

9 knights errant- musician - standard bearer-
    total=201

14 peasant bowmen-brazier- 89

14 peasant bowmen-brazier-89

special units-
    7 questing knights-musician1=196

3 Pegasus knights- 165

total-1997
    Last edited by snubbs21; February 11th, 2015 at 16:30.

I know that I enjoy the snow.. it stays for quite some time
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1104 (x8)

Hello, and Welcome.

I am going to echo what has been said before but.... those Questing knights are better served on their quests rather than the table at this particular time. It is unfortunate since as a player who converts first, plays second.... and paints last, I have always enjoyed the lore and models generated by these fellows.

Trebuchets = awesome and can be scratch built by some balsa if your gaming group is kind.

I will also throw my hat in the ring stating that Grail Knights are great but as the good Captain has stated should only be taken in small units... for now. Once we get our new book and 'plastic' kit these guys will make a come back I'm sure.

Enjoy the army and best of luck snubs.

Regards,
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."
    New Age of Sigmar
    Warriors of Chaos Project, Bretonian-Tale-of-Gamer-Project

+ Reply to Thread