<2000 2000 All Comer's Return to Fantasy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 All Comer's Return to Fantasy

Hello All,

Been about 6 years since I last logged on. I am returning to Fantasy and need some advice -I see some familiar names - Capt. Sarathai and Sir Kently. Good to be back. I am wanting build a Bretonnia Army - so here is my first list in 6 years.

Lord - Barded, Shield, Gromril Great Helm, Lance of Artois, Virt. of Confidence, Gauntlets of Duel - 205
    Prophetess - Lvl 4, Prayer Icon of Quennelles - 250
    BSB - Barded, Lance, Ench. Shield, Dawnstone, Lance - 113
    Damsel - Lvl 2, Dispel, Warhorse - 140

50 Men at Arms -FC (Prophetess here) - 277
    14 Archers w/ Braziers - 89
    8 Knights of the Realm (FC) - 216 - Lord here
    7 Knights of the Ream (FC) - 192 - BSB and Damsel here

3 Pegasus Knights with Musician - 175
    2 Trebuchet

Add War Banner to Lord's unit
    Leaves 30 Points - where best to spend it - Grail Vow or Ruby Ring of Ruin.

Advice, pointers and suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    114 (x4)

I couldn't tell you much about Brets, since I don't recall the last time I saw them on a table.

Perhaps not the best time to return to WFB immediately. There's talk that we'll be seeing a new (9th) edition this summer. There are even rumours of some armies getting 'squatted' (or at least amalgamated) and radical changes such as round bases. A lot of Fantasy generals are holding off any major purchases or modelling until we've seen what the future holds.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Royalwulff View Post
    Hello All,

Been about 6 years since I last logged on. I am returning to Fantasy and need some advice -I see some familiar names - Capt. Sarathai and Sir Kently. Good to be back. I am wanting build a Bretonnia Army - so here is my first list in 6 years.
    Hey, welcome back! There are still a decent number of the old hands running about here on the forums, and more than a few newcomers who really know their stuff. 6 years is a long time to have been away from the game, you missed almost 2 full editions then yeah (7th, and rumors area already dropping for 9th)? Anyways, we can hammer through your list, no problem.

Lord - Barded, Shield, Gromril Great Helm, Lance of Artois, Virt. of Confidence, Gauntlets of Duel - 205
    We've got access to the Common Items out of the 8th edition rulebook, so I'd take a Wardsave of some kind. Also, rather than the Lance of Artois, I'd grab a magic weapon that gives bonus strength at all times. Again - for the same cost and coming out of the Common Item list, is the Sword of Antiheroes, which gives +1S and +1A for every character (including Champions) in base contact with the bearer's unit. So if you're going headlong into those "Death-stars" filled with enemy Wizards and Battle Standard Bearers, you should expect huge returns on this item. Figure, you get nothing from your current build if you charge something without a character, so I would consider the SoAH as being a consistent +1S&A.

Prophetess - Lvl 4, Prayer Icon of Quennelles - 250
    I've never been a fan of the Prayer Icon as compared to things like a Dispel Scroll. I'd probably run the Prophetess without any extra gear, except for perhaps a Wardsave (you'll notice a common theme here). Magic Resistance wouldn't be a terrible buy either, and I'd rather see her riding around with the Knights (to protect them from Metal magic) rather than lowballing it with a bunch of slimy Peasants.

BSB - Barded, Lance, Ench. Shield, Dawnstone, Lance - 113
    Did you double-pay for a Lance on this guy? Anyways, Wardsave, that is all.

Damsel - Lvl 2, Dispel, Warhorse - 140
    What Lores are you running on your wizards? I also wouldn't really bother with a second Wizard. You can only expect around 7 dice for any given casting phase in 8th, and most people grab the L4 just to handle their magic defense.

50 Men at Arms -FC (Prophetess here) - 277
    Halberds? I haven't had much luck with [email protected], ever - in any edition for our book. I'd rather just grab up Knights. It's what our army is known for. Trying to use [email protected] for an "Anvil" usually just ends up losing you the fight. Using them as a Tarpit is cool, but you've got a really valuable Wizard in there now. I don't see much point, really.

Flaming is good. Just remember that there are lots of items out there now which grant a 2+ Wardsave against Flaming Attacks.

8 Knights of the Realm (FC) - 216 - Lord here
    7 Knights of the Ream (FC) - 192 - BSB and Damsel here
    Now we're talkin! Bog-standard stuff for Brets, obviously.
    3 Pegasus Knights with Musician - 175
    I like these, in any army. You're really light on Special and Rare though, owing to having over-spent so much on Core. That's not really something you see much of anymore. 25% on your Core requirement is all that's needed. Beyond that, there's no reason not to go hard on Grail Knights. Questing Knights are sort of up to the player, I like mine sometimes, but rarely field them anymore. KoTR are still awesome though, so Brets are one army that can overspend a bit in the Core department and still get away with it.

2 Trebuchet
    Best stone-thrower in the game right now.

I would say that your army has a lot of points invested in Wizards and Peasants, which are two things that Brets tend not to do so well with. There is a new FAQ out regarding the core rulebook, and we are now allowed to field 50% of our points in Lords, and another 50% in Heroes. For most armies, this is utterly worthless, but for Brets, it's actually pretty filthy. The old-school "Paladin-Bus" is a very popular unit these days (lance formation of KotR, 3 Pallies up front, loaded for bear). With the ability to grab 75% of your army as characters (still need that minimum 25% of Core) you can get multiple buses like that.

Altogether, Brets are a tough army for anyone to comment on. Their book is so old that they're kind of stuck playing with a hand behind their backs, much like Wood Elves and Beastmen were/are. I haven't played with my Brets in a while, and that's true for most folks. MDSW, if he's around, and FatherChaos, both have successful Bret armies. A lot of it comes down to working with the good units in the book, and trying to figure out what works for you in terms of how you balance them together.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

The Cap'n is correct on all fronts. Even on the MAs, which although I do take some every game, I may only take a max of 30 just as a screen or sacrifice unit. I have been able to use them effectively in a couple of battles where they did a surprising job (chased off and ran down a Stegadon once!) or at least held for a round while I could crash a lance into the flank.

Trebs = great. PK's = great. The counts you have on both are perfect. For sure with the extra points from removing some of the items add some other lances. I like a few lances of six with no command (free champ, though) just to combo charge with the bigger lances, as that is what it seems to take with Brets nowadays - can't break anything siginificant on the charge anymore without some help.
    Three Roads Dreamt - My novella collection is now available! Action Suspense, Fantasy and Sci-Fi

I know that I enjoy the snow.. it stays for quite some time
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1104 (x8)

Welcome back good sir from what I can only assume was a hard fought quest!

I will not go into too much detail as much has already been said, but I will say (suggest) drop the Damsel and Men-at-Arms and put in a Paladin led unit of KotR. Or you would have enough points freed up to put in a 9 man unit of KotR with FC, and a 6 man unit of KE with a FC and Errantry Banner (or Chalons) for fun. As you can guess I am not a fan of Men-at-Arms with the current edition although I have seen on some rare occasions some success with them. If you still plan to use them along with the Prayer Icon I would swap out the Prophetess with the Damsel and knock her down to level 1 and bury her in the unit.

Best of luck with your return to the game.

Regards,
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."
    New Age of Sigmar
    Warriors of Chaos Project, Bretonian-Tale-of-Gamer-Project

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

No lance on the BSB sorry. Can only take a magic one. I like the list for the most part but then again its very similar to mine so.
    Anyway welcome back to the game. I only got into brets a few months ago and have only lost one game out of 6 with them.
    Most people don't know our rules or items, so use that to full.
    Upon wings of iron they fall upon the foe

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

Hi there and welcome back.

I play with my brets a lot they are what got me into fantasy I love the colours and knights. I never take Men at Arms we get ranks easy for our knights and dual charging really is the way to go. I generally take 2 lots of 12 archers to flame shoot things and half protect my trebs from chalf.

tbh I always have big units with little ones with no upgrades for dual charge. I would drop the lord he is a lot of points for little gain you can get almost 10 KoTR for his cost which is a lot better.

I always have a level 4 beast book of ashur and she sits in a unit of 8 KoTR with 3 paladins each rocking a 1+ armour save 2 of which are re rollable and that's for savage beast that formation steam rollers. Then I have 12 knights errant errantry banner this is great. Then a level 2 life with the chalice of malauf in a unit of 11 knights of the realm along side all this 2 more units of knights of the realm 6 or 9 depending on point size to dual charge with the non character buffed units.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You all very much for the responses - much appreciated.

I have revamped the list so...

Lord - Barded, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Virt. of Conf., Grail Shield, Grail Vow, Gauntlets of Duel - 259
    Prophetess Lvl4 Dispel Warhorse Talisman of Preservation - 310 --- Life ---
    BSB - Barded,Talisman of Endurance, Ench. Shield, Biting Blade - 124

14 Archers with Braziers - 89
    14 Archers with Braziers - 89

8 KotR (FC) - 251 Lord Here - with War Banner
    7 KotR (FC) - BSB and Prophetess here
    6 KE (FC) with Errantry Banner - 166
    6 KE (FC) - 141

3 Pegasus Knights with Music - 175

2 Trebuchet

Total 1990

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by Royalwulff; April 9th, 2015 at 01:55. Reason: Spelling

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I like the new list. I'd try to find a way to upgrade the second unit of KE to KotR, just because KE are basically packing "Frenzy" with none of the actual benefits of being Frenzied. The first unit, with the Errantry Banner gets a big maybe from me, because Ld5 to Restrain on an Impetuous Test with a 20" range is just depressing. If you're going to keep both units, I'd really look at lumping them both together (one big lance of S6 Charge-awesome) and then put either the Lord or the BSB there, and still be prepared to screen them, to keep them from going rampaging off after a 30pt regiment of Chaos Hounds.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

I agree with cap put the errantry together and slap all 3 characters in one unit of KoTR banner of discipline and then have 2 small units of KoTR and the 2 small units don't bother with command upgrades save the points you ideally want 2 teams of 6 and 2 teams of 12.

I am still against the lord, I just never see there points return but if you are dead set on him have a go see how he goes.

best thing to do now is get a few games under the belt and make changes as you see them.

+ Reply to Thread