Character Limit? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Character Limit?

Is there a limit to how many characters you can Include in your army? Or can you have as many as you like as long as you stay below the 25% heroes limit and 25% lord limit?

For an example is it legal to have 8 characters in a 2,000 points list?

A prophetess at 280 points and a Bretonnian Lord at 216 points = 496 points

And 6 Paladins all mounted on a barded warhorse and equipped with a lance and shield, each at 80 points = 480 points

The remaining points are spend on core, special and rare (keeping a minimum of 25% core)

Imagine a prophetess with lore of beasts buffing two knight lances, each with a trio paladin combo at the front, with savage beast of horros and Pann's Pelt. They're almost unkillable at T7, 2+ armour save and with a ward save and they will dish out 36 attacks at strength 9 on the charge... ouch!

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

You can indeed take as many characters as you wish. This was a change made in the 8th edition Rulebook. Sometimes it is a bit confusing because Army Books released before 8th edition have contrary information, but you can indeed take as many Lords and Heroes as fit in the 25%.

I have tried to abuse the Lore of Beasts in a similar way before but it really requires a disciplined list building ethic to make it work! I won the latest LO Votewar with a Lizardmen deathstar based around it.

Unfortunately a Prophetess is not nearly as reliable a caster as the Slann I was rolling with! But on the flip side, the Bretonnian army you describe can would work like a regular Bretonnian army even if your buffs fail whereas my Lizard army was very weak.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x2)

This is not an uncommon idea but to really use it well it takes some support casters with beasts to ENSURE that you get your spells on your lvl four, and you have to give her the earthing rod, the more common one is a halfway, with a lord a paladin and a bsb, one with the gauntlet and the other two with one up re rollable armor saves, that is a nasty unit because of how well it can grind, put it in a unit of questers and throw in a beast prophetess and you are good to go, she goes in the third rank, displaced by the command group and the paladins and the lord, with MR 2, one plus armor, and the blessing good luck taking them out,
    If you are set on six dicing it you can take two or even three level twos instead with beasts and just resign to blow them up, but you are really vulnerable to mistakes, and a fast army can mess you up
    The Bretonnian Foreign Legion
    W: 36 L:2 D: 2
    My WIP Thread

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply!

I just think that going character heavy with bretonnia is the way to play them (just wanted to make sure you could do that before playing it). having knights with 2+ save and a ward save is very nice, the problem however is that they don't kill anything beyond the turn the they charge (and even on a charge they don't do much). I know that Bretonnia is a bottom tier army in terms of competitiveness but I reckon that's mainly because they're a misunderstood army. Having a front rank made up of characters entirely is something that's hard to get for other armies unless they make something like a Vampire count knight bus (which is just plain ridiculous). Even without savage beast of pann's pelt, a single wildform will make those paladins beasts. In my opinion Knight Errants and Knights of the realm are just for extra ranks and look out sir rolls and a bit of supporting attacks on a charge, whereas the characters are what wins you the game. Beyond core knights and trebuchets the rest of the army book is kinda rubbish

It's not a death star tactic either as you can have two whole lances each with a tri-paladin combo and have points left for a bretonnian lord, with virtue of heroism, in a knight of the realm unit going monster hunting. And double trebuchets to finish it off all just in 2,000 points. It is not a super competitive army but a lot stronger than the regular bret army you normally see in my opinion.

Having a lot of cheap characters also gives you the option of throwing chaff at your opponent whenever you need it. You can always march a paladin up to your opponent and redirect his strong units away from your main blocks. Just so much utility with lore of beasts and an army of characters

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

getting outflanked is a very easy way to lose the battle for Bretts. Spending alot on your busses means you will have little stuff to keep the enemy from surrounding you.

I like your idea, especially because characters give this army alot of character
    but this is something that has to be dealt with before it works
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Cool thing is that you can make way with your paladins to the flanks and rear making them just as deadly (porcupine knight units) ^^ Also remember that an 80 point paladin is just 5 points more than a unit of mounted yeomen that would otherwise be redirecting.

As I mentioned you can use your chaff paladins to keep your flanks clear. You only got a few drops on the table as all characters count as a single drop, however the fact there is a million characters makes it very versatile (you don't have to keep all of the paladins together if you rather need several smaller units).

This is of course just theory crafting But I'd like to put it to the test soon.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x4)

let us know how it goes?

+ Reply to Thread