Questing Knights (gaming and model questions) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Questing Knights (gaming and model questions)

So Questing Knights. I was able to get a sealed pewter box of them off ebay a few days ago. I have heard that they dont really earn back their points, but I guess I just really like the idea of them more so than their in game value.

My first question to anyone out there is that I know there are at least two alternate posed Questing Knights that were made that are not in the original GW box. One is an old man with a flat topped helmet kind of lazily holding the sword, and another is a knight with a chain coif on his head and a book wrapped around his sword.

Anyone know how GW released these long ago? Were they sold in single blisters, or part of another set that I am not aware of?

I can't find a picture of them off Google, but they are in the army book.

Second Question, if I were to insist upon running a unit of them in a 2000 point battle, how big should I make the unit, and should I include a paladin etc. with it?

Thanks

The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it, and he said: "I am the Mouth of Sauron."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Can't answer the model portion of the question. I think I might own one of the "lazy" guys, somewhere, but I can't remember when he was released. If you find him on eBay though, he'll probably fetch a pretty penny. Lots of the oop and classic stuff does, especially Brets, since a lot of their stuff is still the same scale (closer to 25mm or 28mm "true," than the newer GW 28mm "Super-heroic" scale)

As for the unit, they're a bit "meh", you're right. I prefer small units of them though - they're definitely not for "bussing". A block of 6 can work well. They don't need a Pally either, unlike the rest of our Knights who need someone to get those "off charge" kills. That's actually the strength of the Questing Knights- they're like a slightly more resilient Paladin that you can prioritize between units, but can also get Flanking and Disruption (unlike a lone Pally or a Pally in your main unit).

To play devil's advocate in my own post though - I have seen someone use them in place of the typical "KotoR Bus", with fully Pallies and everything. They're a bit better at ripping through units after the charge, and against armies that might possibly "eat" a Knight charge, that's a good ace to have up your sleeve.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x4)

They are in the army book if you look. Getting hold of them is a bit more difficult.

As for using them its there 3+ armour save that lets them down however. I have used them in place of my pally/KoTR bus. So i put my 3 pallys up front all with 1+ armour 2 of them with re rolls then my level 4 beast in secon rank then 8 questing knights or 11 if i have the points (get the 4+ ward againts magic 3+ on any spell str 5 or over). In close combat the opponent has to hit at the tanks in the front and your knights support with the lance you get Str 6 support attacks. meaning you can lump through a tough combat.

In general i find my duel KoTR attacks will break an opponent and for the tough stuff smash in the pally/questing bus. The only other way to tak them is a 6 unit with no upgrades.

hope this helps

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Thanks for the posts/advice.

I found a picture of those smug jerks, (much clearer than the ones in the army book)

alt knights.jpg

Its the first two guys, not the guy with the dresser on his back. I've seen them on ebay for about $50 each, but its still rare. One of those things I kick myself for when I used to be able to go into a store and see tons of blisters on the shelf, or even the old online store.

The advice you guys have given seems pretty solid as well. I actually can't wait to build a unit of these guys and run them once in awhile. If I manage to get ahold of either of these guys I'll post pics.
    The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it, and he said: "I am the Mouth of Sauron."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    986 (x8)

I have used my unit of 6 from time to time, but I have never used more than that. Their role is to hit standard infantry or mop up the flanks, where they will chew through it pretty good. Anything stronger that that, or with multiple attacks, increased damage, they will go down pretty quick.
    Three Roads Dreamt - My novella collection is now available! Action Suspense, Fantasy and Sci-Fi

+ Reply to Thread