<2000 1000 points Thousand Sons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 points Thousand Sons

Trying to get a somewhat usable 1000 points thousand sons army I have tried switching some of the points to efficient units like cultists or obliterators. On the other units, meant to represent the true legion units, MoT and VotLW are compulsory. Mortal Cultists are a natural addition to a Tzeentch themed army, and Oblits are going to be converted from bound elementals/uncontrolled wizards.

HQ
    Sorcerer, ML3, MoT, VotLW, Terminator Armour, combimelta, force axe, Spell Familiar
    177 points

Elites
    Chaos Terminators
    3x MoT Terminator with VotLW, Powerfist and combimelta
    160 points

Troops
    2x Cultists, 10 fodder
    100 points

Thousand Sons
    Aspiring Sorcerer with meltabombs and 6 rubrics on a Rhino with Havoc Launcher (ghetto razorback)

Heavy Support
    1x Obliterator with MoT
    78 points

1x Obliterator with MoT
    78 points

2x Obliterators with MoT
    156 points

Fluffwise i should give VotLW to the oblits but i cannot find the points

The idea is to deepstrike the sorc+termies and start with cultists, rhino and oblits on the table. Or maybe the sorc should lose the terminator armour and go in the rhino. 2 hatches means 2 psykers doing driveby witchfiring.

Any way I could make it more competitive without losing the tzeentchian focus? I dont fancy the hellchicken model very much, neither do I think it fits much the legion tbh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Ah thousand sons...so much I wanted to make mine work. Instead they were sold because they just can't compete due to their high costs.

From my experience I'll say don't run solo obliterators. These are your heavy hitters and when you run them solo they just get slaughtered. Always at least in pairs!

I hate to say it but you need more psykers and more marines. You have to try and be overwhleming with your psychic tomfoolery or you'll just get hit by deny the witches!

what about a demon prince or greater demon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was buying solo obliterators to avoid wound spilling, but yeah, it would be trivial grouping them.

In order to have more osychic presence I guess I could include another sorc or allied pink horrors, but I was intentionally going away from the dissapointing Tzeenchian powers to invest in more bodies and heavy weapons. Be aware that this is 1000 points. Demon Princes or greater daemons would eat almost half the budget.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

True, they would take a big chunk of the budget.

Allied horrors are a good way of adding in some extra cheap psykers.

I'd suggest looking in the new wulfen book (in case you haven;t already) as there is some painfully good chaos stuff in it. If you haven;t read it/don;t have it to hand there's a thread somewhere on the site with the shinies all laid out.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

I have a few 1000 Sons and have tried to make them work, but they are just expensive. I have made them work in a 1500 point list with Ahriman and Tzeentch Daemon allies.

As for your list: not sure why you took VotLW for the Sorcerer and Terminators. I doesn't help the Fearless aspect (the lack thereof)and the Sorcerer is already leadership 10. It's 14 points and only really helps if you are facing Space Marines. VotLW will help your unit of 2 Obliterators making them leadership 9 in the event they lose one guy and need to take a morale test. I agree with making 2 units of 2 Obliterators so you can possibly spread the wound around.

At 1000 points the 1000 sons soak up a great deal of points, but depending on your opponent, your list is at least close to average.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x7)

HQ:
    - Lose the Terminator Armour + MoT, take a Sigil of Corruption instead. Same invuln save effect, but now you have full flexibility with your psyker and shave a few precious pts off his total cost.
    Likewise lose the VotLW as the only thing it's really good for is to waste pts we can't afford to waste nowadays.

For psychic lore, take either Telepathy (for Psy Shriek + Invis fishing), or the slightly more risk/reward lore of Santic Daemonolgy. (yes, really!)
    Santic actually pairs really, really well with Tzeentch... Sanctuary builds off of your already inherent invuln saves, while Gate gives added movement to an otherwise painfully slow infantry list. Hammerhand is a scary assault buff, especially if/when you eventually add in more Termies and/or Possessed.
    The real gem however is Cleansing Flame. Risky to cast as it's a WC2 power, but absolutely brutal at wrecking FMC's! 2D6/S5 auto-hits to everything in range is pretty mean.

Elites:
    - Drop VotLW + the Power fists for now on the Termies - Power Axes will suffice. Also consider swapping out the Combi-Meltas for Combi-Plasmas as it gives far more utility to unit, instead of shoehorning them into a purely anti-vehicle suicide unit. (in an age where pts-heavy vehicles are now rarely, if ever seen to boot!)

Troops:
    - Drop the 1kSons squad to the basic 5 strong unit. You don't need bigger units, you simply needs more actual units - which means another precious WC point, on the table.
    Also, always take the Force Axe option + Melta bombs on the Sorcerer. The axe actually makes him a solid close combat threat due to S5 + Force. (throw in Hammerhand and suddenly he's S7!!)

Fast Attack:
    - Chaos Spawn will give you some much needed speed, and they work great as sacrificial tarpits for turn or two against anything that's not a serious Deathstar or GMC/SHV. Don't bother with a mark on them, just keep them cheap.

Heavy Support:
    - At least one unit of Oblits should be doubled up... 1x2 + 2x solo for smaller games.

+ Reply to Thread