Skaven 1500 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skaven 1500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skaven 1500

So with the new General's Hanbook out, the whole summer campaign, I thought I'd actually get into Age of Sigmar, and have started to build Skaven.

There's a 1500 point tournament coming up soon near me, and I want to bring my Skaven. However, I am wanting to know if I have a good list or not. I definitely feel as if I have an interesting idea, but I'm unsure if the list isactually any good. But anyways, onto the list:

Battleline:

20 Clanrats with Rusty Blade and Clanshields - 120 points

20 Clanrats with Rusty Blade and Clanshields - 120 points

Leader:

Thanquol on Boneripper with Warpfire Throwers - 500 points

Arch-Warlock with the Crown of Command - 140 points

Other:

3 Stormfieds with 1 Grinderfist, 1 Warpfire Thrower, and 1 Ratling Gun - 300 points

3 Stormfieds with 1 Grinderfist, 1 Warpfire Thrower, and 1 Ratling Gun - 300 points

Total: 1480

The idea of the list primarily relies in the Stormfiends, Arch-Warlock, and Thanquol doing a lot of the work, whileas the Clanrats mainly act as distraction and support, and just being a general nuisance. Thanquol and the Arch-Warlock would stay close, so that Thanquol could cast the Arch-Warlock's Warpstorm with greater reliability, while the Arch-Warlock slings Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shields to try to catch out enemy dispell attempts. The Stormfiends, on the other hand, are major disruptors, burrowing onto the field with their Grinderfits, and getting off some Ratling Gun shots on the turn they come up. On susequent turns, the Warpfire Throwers comes into play, and really start to hurt. In basic, its a more elite version of Skaven with a lot of big, tough, hard hitters, and lots of spells, versus the general horde strategy.

Also, I'm unsure if I'm allowed to have the points in these lists? If I'm not, I can remove them.

Last edited by stolen76; August 10th, 2016 at 03:38.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Hey, good to see some activity for AoS.

If I'm going to be honest, I think it's a bit early to start calling tactics for AoS. For myself, I haven't gotten to play the game nearly as often as I'd like, as most of my friends (who didn't leave the hobby altogether) are sticking with 8th, or are dabbling in KoW. I can, however, point some things out that I have noticed so far.

Your Clanrats
    And any other "split unit" really.
    Big units seem to be boss in AoS like they never were before. Imagine coming up against a big "death star" type of unit. If you send in both your Clanrat units to deal with it (as you would in 8th or even 40k) you are going to get to nominate one unit to attack. So 20 Rats will swing. Then they nominate their Death Star to swing back, split their attacks across both of your units, killing rats from both. Then you nominate your second unit and attack with whatever is left. If those rats had been deployed as a single huge blob, you would have nominated and attacked with a whopping 40 rats (or as many as could fit) and potentially wiped him out before he could attack back. At the very least, you would have killed more models before he attacked, and would have lost fewer later. Plus keep in mind that you essentially have +1 Bravery for every 10 models in a unit. ClanRats even get "mob bonuses", if I recall.

The current setup for armies right now seems to almost fit the 8th edition pattern:
    Big fighty units > Small buff/hex support units > Buff/Hex support characters

StormFiends
    Any unit with a sort of "Deepstrike/Ambush" effect is going to play more similarly to 40k Deepstrikers than anything we've ever seen in Fantasy-proper. With enemy units having a 360LoS and reaction, you can almost guarantee that you will get one turn to threaten the enemy, and then you're going to get swarmed or shot to pieces. Think of units like deepstriking MultiMeltas, showing up being an enemy Landraider, and sacrificing themselves just to pop one important tank. So some questions you may want to ask while playtesting:
    1) Does your meta support this strategy, by having enough "critical targets" for your Fiends to hit, or is that second unit just popping up to get shot at?
    2) Are 3 Fiends enough to bring down these targets? Example - can you pop up behind a Dracolith and bring it down in a single turn with 3 Fiends? If not, then you might want to combine or enlarge those units somewhat.
    --

On the whole, I think your list looks pretty good. Taking the "small, elite approach" is almost definitely the route you want to go with AoS, as there's less benefit to having a ton of regiments on the table. You're better off picking a single fight that you want to win, and fighting just that battle, so that your troops get to attack first in every engagement.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As we are using the Handbook, I do need two Battleline units. However, I understand your suggestion... Beefier Clanrats units would be good. Really though, clanrats aren't all that good even in numbers, unlike some other units. They do get better, but nothing really amazing.

As for the Stormfiends....there isn't a single deep striker in AoS that can completely obliterate a target the turn it comes down, that I can think of anyways (unless you dump all your points into it). Stormfiends differ from most though in the they are perhaps the toughest of the deep strikers, with 6 wounds each and a 4+ save. I could combine them, at which points I only need a single Grinderfist. However, I probably don't need both units. One suggestion I got was to take a Hellcannon in place of one of the units (which is, incidentally, the same points cost). I quite like that idea and intend to test it out later this week.

My other thought would be to instead ditch one of the Stormfiend units for a Warp Lightning Cannon or Plagueclaw Catapult, and use the remaining points to beef up the Clanrats to 30 a piece, or a 40/20 split. The Hellcannon though hits really hard, and will help me with tough targets like Glotkin and the Stardrake, of which I know I will face, whereas the other Artillery pieces won't have as much of an impact, at least in a single turn...

Now though, I could ditch the Stormfiends altogether and just run a ton more Clanrats...

Really, there's a lot of different options...
    Last edited by stolen76; August 11th, 2016 at 04:40.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

There are a lot of options. I think that it's still somewhat too early to make a definitive call yet, so the best suggestion is still going to be playtesting. I even checked out 1d4Chan, who is usually quite good about having tactics articles posted for each army in 40k/Fantasy (even if I don't always agree with them) but they have nothing yet for AoS, and it seems from discussion that they might never get that far, with the divided player base. As time goes on, I expect to see a meta solidify although at present I have no idea where that will be (here, on another forum, at 1d4, who knows) or what the meta will look like. Playing the game for myself, things don't look much different than they did in 8th, with a big unit or two used as a "death star", beefed up with characters and smaller supporting groups, and then a few small "chaff" type regiments and small units intended to hunt down the characters/support. That's what I've been seeing in YouTube-posted Batreps (particularly from MWG) as well.

I'm posting from work usually, these days (shhhh... don't tell my boss) but I need to remember to bring in my tablet so that I can have a closer look at the warscrolls and options available.

If you head out to the tournament, try to get a good look at the other lists? I'm curious to see the direction the community will take with the new points system in place.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    234 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    There are a lot of options. I think that it's still somewhat too early to make a definitive call yet, so the best suggestion is still going to be playtesting. I even checked out 1d4Chan, who is usually quite good about having tactics articles posted for each army in 40k/Fantasy (even if I don't always agree with them) but they have nothing yet for AoS, and it seems from discussion that they might never get that far, with the divided player base. As time goes on, I expect to see a meta solidify although at present I have no idea where that will be (here, on another forum, at 1d4, who knows) or what the meta will look like. Playing the game for myself, things don't look much different than they did in 8th, with a big unit or two used as a "death star", beefed up with characters and smaller supporting groups, and then a few small "chaff" type regiments and small units intended to hunt down the characters/support. That's what I've been seeing in YouTube-posted Batreps (particularly from MWG) as well.

I'm posting from work usually, these days (shhhh... don't tell my boss) but I need to remember to bring in my tablet so that I can have a closer look at the warscrolls and options available.

If you head out to the tournament, try to get a good look at the other lists? I'm curious to see the direction the community will take with the new points system in place.
    Actually 1d4chan does have the individual army tactics up. I was reading them the other day, though as I have not played alot of Age of Sigmar I cannot say whether they are good or not. My expedience with the site tells me they can be trusted. Here's the link for all the armies: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics
    "... That which is sacrosanct I shall preserve. That which is sublime, I will protect. That which threaten, I will destroy.
    For my holy wrath will knows no bound..." -Grail Vow of Bretonnia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I knew of the 1d4chan tactics pages and have been reading them a lot, but they haven't really updated them with their ideas/tactics for post-General's Handbook.

Otherwise, I am lined up for 3-4 more playtest games today. I'll let you know what I garner from that.

The tournament is on the 28th of this month, and I'll let you know how it goes and what I see. Though, I can probably tell you a bit of what I'm likely to see today, as the people I'm plautesting against today are all plautesting their lists for the tournament. So yeah...

The list I play tested against earlier this week on Tuesday was Glotkin, Festus, 5 Blightknights, 2 units of 20 Plaguebearers, and a Hellcannon.

First game was the mission where the objectives are worth more the further they are from you. I won that, part way on shear luck that the Hellcannon missed all its shots all game, and partway because the Stormfiends provided an ample roadblock that forced him to put both units of Plagiebearers into them (as they just obliterated the first one when the Plaguebearers charged in, trying to get to one of the 2-point objectives). Though the game did end with only 5 clanrats scoring an objective over Glotkin. Final score was 18-13, in my favor.

Second game was where we both had one objective in our deployment zones. This game, the Hellcannon hit EVERYTHING and obliterated most of my army before I could even cross the board. That which did live to get to his deployment zone was promptly swept up. Safe to say he won that. We didn't even count the score, or go past turn 3. By that point I only had a single clanrat unit left...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used MSU in most of my games now with good results. The advantage to the big units isn't necessarily more attacks as there are buffs for that sometimes, but rather more casualties for, hopefully, longer survivability.
    A unit of 5 blight kings will usually be able to get all of their attacks in range. Add in the Glottkin for +1 attack and +1 to hit from the battle trait and you get 20 attacks at 2+ to hit, 5s and 6s granting d6 hits each. Awesome.
    Say one thing about Logen Ninefingers, and one thing only..... Say he's a killer.

+ Reply to Thread