<3000 Need advice for 2500 pts Army Gun Line Theme - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice for 2500 pts Army Gun Line Theme

Heroes (57

Grim Burlocksson (goes with Firedrakes)

Thane BSB (goes with Firedrakes)
    Rune of Grugni, GW and Rune of Slowness x 2

Rune Priest #1 (goes with Quarrellers #1)
    GW and Rune of spell breaking x 2

Rune Priest #2 (goes with Quarrellers #2)
    Rune of Stone, GW and Rune of spell breaking x 2

Core (660)
    2 Units of Quarrellers 20, full command with GW and Shields

Special (520)
    2 cannons
    3 Gyrocopters 2 of them with vanguard

Rare (605)
    Firedrakes 28 full command, Troll Torpedo and Cinderblast
    Organ Gun

Total of 2363 with some points left for some runes for cannons and banner for the fire drakes. I had enough models to build a decent size army and eventually want to build them to 3k.

I also have about 50 slayers, 19 Quarrellers and 20 Miners left and wanting to buy 2 bolt throwers to expand the army to 3k.

Please any advice and points of view are very welcome.

Last edited by cubmexjr; March 12th, 2014 at 02:10.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Its good to see a list which doesn't look like its been worn down by public opinion. Too often you just end up commenting on "cookie cutter" lists with a magic item changed here or there. Anyway, a couple of things to consider.

1) Looks like you have Burlocksson as your general in 2500pts. Personally I like him, however, as a general he is lacking. He has only 2 wounds (a lord gets you basic 3), only T4 (where a thane or lord is T5), He has no ward save, and only a 4+ armour save from his gromril. Being a named character you have no way to therefore equip him with runes that could improve him or make him better. I am interested to see how he works with ID, as I'll be using the ID more as a mobile unit which would take him out of range of the war machines that could also use his abilities. However, the reroll misses should pay off, especially if used as a gun line.

2) Just checking that you know 2 Ro Spellbreaking effectively makes it 1 old Ro Spelleating, and not that you have 2 dispels per character? Also on a more important note, both your Rune smiths have the same Runic talismans (2x Ro Spellbreaking), this cannot be done so you will need to either drop one Ro Spellbreaking off one Rune Smith, or add another Rune from the talisman section to one of them. - See 'Rule of the Runes', pg59, right hand column, 4th paragraph down = Rule of Pride.

3) With Quarrellers as your only Core units, I would be happier if they were units of 30. Normally you expect to see units of 30-40 warriors or a unit of 30 longbeards, so 20 quarrellers, although they can shoot, wont hold up long in combat.

4) Your quarrellers have both shields and gws, but you will only get the shields from ranged attacks for a 4+ save, as you will have to use your great weapons in combat. So in combat you will have a 5+ save, with no parry (or shield wall). Might be worth saving points and having one unit with shields and one gws. Personaly I like the idea of a unit of 30+ with just shields, and 2 smaller units with just a musician with just gws to sit on the flanks.

5) Cannons seem fine though it might be useful to see what runes are available, even if one just takes Ro Burning for flaming magical attacks for anything with regen or ethereal special rules.

6) Vanguard on gyrocopter isn't needed, you have a 20" move which cannot be march blocked, and you don't want to get too far ahead of your army as they could be picked off early.

7) ID seem fine, but drop cinderblast, I don't see it doing much in the grand scheme of things.

Defiantly upgrade the organ gun with Ro Accuracy and Ro Forging.

Hope it helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Changes:

Lord (201)
    Runelord (goes with Firedrakes)
    GW and Rune of spell breaking x 2 Rune of Fortitude

Heroes (482)
    Grim Burlocksson (goes with Firedrakes)

Rune Priest (goes with the large unit of Quarrellers)
    GW and Rune of spell breaking x 2

Thane BSB (goes with Firedrakes)
    Rune of Grugni, GW and Rune of Slowness x 2

Core (707)
    1 Unit of Quarrellers 30, full command and Shields
    2 Units of 10 Quarrellers with Musician and GW

Special (485)
    3 Gyrocopters
    1 cannon Rune of Burning
    1 cannon

Rare (625)
    Firedrakes 27 full command, Troll Torpedo
    Organ Gun with the Rune of Accuracy and the Rune of forging

I went for a Runelord for an Army general, I didn't had that many points to work with but with the advice and the ideas you have provided I think this army list looks promising. I fix the the Runes of spell breaking and upgraded one Rune Priest for a Rune lord for an army general with 2 runes of fortitude given him 5+ ward save with T6, I think it makes him a bit survivable.

For my core I going with one large unit and 2 small supporting small units

I had enough points to upgrade one of the cannons with a Rune of Burning. Also by drooping cinderblast and a a firedrake give me enough points to get the rune of accuracy and the rune of forging.

Thanks saltrock36 for the advice I am going to get working on this list I should have it up and running in a few weeks and when it is done I will let you guys know how it performs.
    Last edited by cubmexjr; March 12th, 2014 at 03:43. Reason: Changes

+ Reply to Thread