Possibly Starting Dwarves, help :D - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibly Starting Dwarves, help :D

Hey guys I've had about 1000 points of VC for a while but they were more to paint and now that i feel like playing more fantasy at my FLGS i am thinking of starting a 1000 new army and Dwarves is currently at the top of the list. However I am having trouble finding too much info on how to start dwarves, how they play out, great units, how fun they are, how easy to paint they are and so on. So any advice, tips and so on on how to start a Dwarves army, preferably starting at 1000 then expanding would be great in helping me pick dwarves and play with them. So let the newbie advice thread commence i guess

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

strangely enough the new dwarf battleline is a great way to start a dwarf army, it has a good mix of warmachines as well as solid ranged and melee troops (it even comes with a rune lord). i would start with that and build quarrelers out of the ranged guys. a general list should look like this

runelord
    20 warriors w/ great weapons or shields
    20 quarrelers with great weapons
    cannon
    cannon
    10 hammerers

idk if this is 1000 but if its a little short adding in 10 more hammerers and a Thane with bsb would be a fantastic list to start out with!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you nigelboyette, that does look like a pretty solid list actually. After some more research on Dwarves (and the internet isnt that helpful of a place for new dwarf players oddly, or perhaps my research skills are just horrible) I have a few questions that would be great for people to answer:

1) Longbeards or warriors for core, and why? Ive seen people say stuff bout both but not compare them that would be great.
    2) No idea which type of artillery would be best for what reason and so on...
    3) How fun are dwarves do you guys think? I know their not the most dynamic army but has the new book changed that at all, however I do really like their models?
    4) I love the heavily armored dwarves so much (those ironbreaker/drake helmets OMG) so how viable are ironbreakers, drakes and hammerers?

Thank you guys :3

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

i think they are really fun! best fantasy army imo . i heard ironbreakers got way better and im actually considering getting some of the new models but idk yet. one thing i know for sure is how kickass hammerers are. i dont have the new book either yet but will have it soon. hope my general advice helped you a little bit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x1)

As far as artillery goes it used to be cannons all the way, but with the new book organ guns are looking very promising. Dwarfs are fun to play because they usually win, although it is usually a sit and wait for the enemy strategy. Basically playing dwarfs is a lot like this

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

I have to apologize at the start here, I've been feeling a bit snarky lately and it's coming out in everything I post.

One thing you have to consider when starting Dwarves is, can you afford the trailer the band is going to sit in?
    I can understand the appeal of the short-arses, I'm a bit of a short hairy guy with a stubborn streak also; and if it wasn't for my general lack of enthusiasm lately, they might also be testing my resolve.
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dwarf army doesn't EVER touch great weapons for the shooty units (quarrelers and thunderers) because of the new strength and parry bonuses they don't need it anyway. A 1000 pt list that I would make would includ, and not, they are approximate due top the fact I don't have the book on hand...
    1 cheaper dwarf Lard eg not maxed out with runes
    20-30 warriors with shields and full command
    2x 10 thunderers
    10-15 Ironbreakers
    1 Organ gun

If you have any points after that get a grudge thrower. I have had good success with this list but if you don't tend to roll well don't use the Organ gun. The things are AWESOME when you roll well (I once insta-killed a ancient Stegadon) but they aren't to good if you don't roll so well. Because of the new shield wall rules the thunderers, equipped with shields, can actually have a decent survival power. This is the reason why IronBreakers are so good now. You won't need a BSB for Dwarves because they have good leadership (quite unlike my Goblin army, because they run after loud noises).

+ Reply to Thread