So... the book - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So... the book

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

So... the book

It has been out for a while now. People have had chance to play with it. What do we all think? Good changes? Bad? Anything broken for good or bad?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

scale of 1 to 10 1 being garbage and 10 being it got nerfed but is still great
    Things that got a nerf
    -bolt throwers 5
    -anvil of doom 2
    -cannons 9
    -runesmiths/runelords 6
    -master engineers 5
    -certain magic resist runes 6

i really dont like what they did the runelords and smiths everything else in this list is more or less ok but losing that dispel dice is pretty big. getting armour pen. doesnt really make up for it but i can live with it and im still gonig to take runesmiths as they are practically "must takes now"

Note Anvil of Doom- i really hate what they have done to the anvil of doom, with its rules as they are you would be lucky to get one of the spells off a turn (yes i said spells because thats what they are now... which means they can be dispelled) its only gives you one extra dice in both magic phases, which doesnt really matter because the spells that the anvil casts are bound spells. The thing is near useless now for the points it costs. maybe im being a little pessimistic about it but its on par in my mind to the flame cannon of our previous army book.

almost everything else in the new book i like a lot! if i had to rate the book as a whole i would say its solid but i keep wishing i had the old book's magic resist and anvil of doom back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been waiting to pick this up. I have Dwarfs, Greenskins, Skaven, and Lizardmen that I play with, but Dwarfs was my first and most extensive army and I am a longbeard at heart. I think I am going to go get this on my lunch as it looks like I will have a game Friday night.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

I've played a number of games with it so far, some good and others bad. The main impression I've gotten so far is that its not so different from the one before, slightly stronger but overall noting overly impressive. I do like the new dwarfs and some of its good fun. I must say I was just disappointed with the lack of new releases, besides a pair of characters and two new units theirs nothing overly new and exciting.
    The Runes section though I do like. It really does now allow me to change my armies dynamic based on what I take on units and characters. Feel slightly like a blank but strong force till you use runes to personalise it and give it a tad more flavour.

Fallen Autarch
    "Reached under the bed and pulled out a Converse and a beer, I appear to of developed the miraculous power to turn shoes into beer!.... or beer into shoes." - Fallen Autarch after St. Patricks day.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Personally I give it 8/10.

They could have really messed it up, but the only obvious thing that got worse (Rune Lords & Smiths magic phase shut down), got changes to which helps out the army in a different but equally beneficial way (AP & MR).

My personal gripe, which is only a testament to how cool all the dwarf stuff is, is that there are just too many option in the special section of the list to choose from, with no access to turn anything into core through taking certain characters. you end up wanting everything and not being able to fit it in. Yes its daft as every other army faces the same problem, but looking at the dwarf special options there is just no one option that I look at and think to myself "if only I had the points". Would have been nice to get the option to take a war machine as core if you take an engineer, or a slayer unit if you take a dragon/daemon slayer, but that's all wishful thinking, and I'm sure my friends would have no problem of us introducing those as friendly rules.

Anyway, as for the units...

Core
    Warriors - Still good, shields are now a viable option.
    Long beards - Excellent as ever, and now that IB and Hammerers have gone up in cost they are worth looking into especially if your Special allotment of points has been used up.
    Quarrellers - Bit more expensive but gain heavy armour. GW still a the stronger choice over shields.
    Thunderers - Significantly cheaper and gain of heavy armour. Equip with shields for a 4+/(5)6++ for excellent defensive block unit. Down side of loosing +1 to hit, but did gain no minus to stand and shoot reaction.

Special
    Iron Breakers - 5++ parry all the time (when you can parry), combined with Relentless for +1 S on the charge, combined with a 3+ save make these guys my new favourite special unit. Solid in attack or defence, and although a little more expensive, they are defiantly worth taking in this edition where you just didn't see them last time around.
    Hammerers - Little more expensive, but gained an extra attack and the ability for any model to accept a challenge on the general behalf if in the same unit, combined with existing stubborn. The only down side to this unit is that they didn't get the Gromril armour they deserve as a kings bodyguard unit. when 80% of your army is going to be walking around at a 4+ save, are you going to pay the extra points for shields which you will only use against range attacks?
    Miners - Good. the only downside to Miners is that they are in the special section of the army book so chances are they will be squeezed out of most lists in favour of other units which is a real shame.
    Slayers - Deathblow was a good addition to make sure you don't just have your unit turn into an unbreakable speed bump, and actually get some damage back even from the smaller units, but they still suffer the lack of protection at range other than from sheltering under a runic banner. Once again a nice unit that would be fun to use, but is bound to be squeezed out in all but the more relaxed lists.
    Cannon & Grudge Thrower & Bolt Thrower - Generally all the same as was, with the exception of now not being able to buy Engineers for the war machine which gave you rerolls on misfire tables.
    Gyrocopter - Now excellent, comes in at the right price and does not make you pick between them and the organ gun. Downside being that it is now in special so you have to choose between them and everything else in special. 1 is not too expensive to have however.

...more to follow...

edit: A note on Longbeards, where before they used to be immune to panic, they are now immune to psychology, which is awesome considering the rest of their stats, their costs, and the fact that they are core...However, part of me feels these are going to push warriors out of a lot of lists, as the points gap between LB and warriors isn't quite large enough to make a lot of people think, "well, for 3 LB I can get 4 warriors". Core therefore I see as being LB and ranged units, with warriors only appearing as GW units as they become expendable.
    Last edited by saltrock36; March 26th, 2014 at 13:54.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x4)

Rare
    Organ Gun - arguably better even if you do have to roll to hit. Firstly you don't suffer like the war machines in the Special section do, where you can no longer buy a basic engineer to reroll on the misfire chart, so that's a bonus, and the points haven't gone up despite this like they have for the cannon and bolt thrower. And then you have the fact that your range in increased to 30"! which is a great move as now you can get more than one turn of shooting at most units which was my major complaint about the organ gun last edition.
    Now you do roll to hit, but you get to roll 2 dice for a potential of 20 shots. Normally you would average this out at 10 shots, with 3 hits at long range, most likely to cause 2 wounds which doesn't sound amazing, but then you the (okay) BS4 from your near by engineer, you then take advantage of being able to now take runes on the organ gun, including the +1 to hit rune making you effectively BS5, and your engineer also lets you reroll one of the artillery dice should you get a misfire or feel greedy and want to take more shots. So you can then easily turn the odds in your favour, BS5, rerolling shots fired, rerolling another artillery if misfire should you take another rune, all at S5 +AP. Downside is you are effectively buying the engineer for the organ gun, as you now have to choose which war machine gets your benefits before you start shooting war machines, were as before you could wait until you needed a reroll to declare it. So its potential very good, but its going to be about finding the correct balance of points to damage output. I can see most people forgoing the engineer and just adding the Ro accuracy for +1 to hit to keep costs down, which when you consider taking 2 of these to act together isn't to bad an idea.

Flame Cannon - Better than it used to be, but not as good as 6th edition. You now at least have the option to fire some extra 12" before measuring for the template goes down, like you used to, but any misfires are at -1 on the chart. otherwise you can still fire it like a normal flame thrower. Its good as now you can potentially set up 12" on the board, extend the shot another 12", then roll a 10 on the artillery, before placing an 8" fire template down. Potential 42" from set up, or 30" from the cannon. I might break it out, to try and cover my AOE damage as points for special units , and therefore grudge throwers, is going to be highly contended for.

Rangers - Personally I say they took a beating, obviously due to the rise of 30+ Longbeard Ranger units appearing in armies often accompanied by an anvil (which was also subsequently nerffed), and walking into enemy lines from turn 1-2. Its didn't really fit dwarf tacs how you would envision them, but the changes made to them were hardly for the better. Its good that they are now a stand alone unit, and you don't have to mess about with upgrading units, but the move to rare, with a points hike, and no redeemable features makes me just think they have been put here to make people shelf them. They do have a really good kitting out with heavy armour, great weapon, crossbow, and throwing axe, and keep scouting rule, with the option for shields, but for me, they are just one point too high o be worth considering. Small units would be to expensive to have just to throw away, whilst large units are a massive point sink and would go largely unsupported by the rest of your army if using scout.
    Solution to this IMO is if they also had Skirmish. At the moment that's nothing, and we have plenty of blocked units anyway, but with 9th ed around the corner, and the rumour mill saying skirmishers are going to go back to 6th-7th formation style, it would make small units really worth taking.

TBC...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x4)

On a side note, I'm interested in what people are using as their core troops.

For me last edition it was a big block of GW Warriors, and a block of GW Quarrellers, but this time round I am going with Shield Thunderers as my as yet only confirmed core unit. I might go all elite with LB, Hammerers and IB, but I'm also tempted with filling my core with big shooty units, now that they come with heavy armour making them to all intents and purposes, a Warrior with a ranged weapon.

+ Reply to Thread