New to Dwarfs - what to equip LB with? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Dwarfs - what to equip LB with?

Hi,

Am starting a Dwarfs army with those lovely new models. Just picked up a box of longbeards, but I'm not sure what to equip them with. I should probably note I plan on buying Ironbreakers and will use them whether they are good or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mumble View Post
    Hi,

Am starting a Dwarfs army with those lovely new models. Just picked up a box of longbeards, but I'm not sure what to equip them with. I should probably note I plan on buying Ironbreakers and will use them whether they are good or not.
    Ehhh.... we're talking about two fairly "below-par" units here. The reason-being is pretty simple: the only advantage to Longbeards is that units nearby don't Panic. You should already have an "anvil" with your BSB in it, plus your general, so the odds of anyone Panicking are slim-to-none already. Warriors are cheaper simply by virtue of not having the "Grumbler" rule, +1S, and +1WS. Because the average WS in Warhammer is 3, the WS5 isn't all that useful. You'll almost always hit on a 3+ with Longbeards, and usually a 3+ with Warriors, but neither regiment is really meant for doing anything other than holding the line until help shows up. The Strength difference is nice, but with the average Toughness in Warhammer hovering around a 3-4, the difference is really who you will wound on a 2+ with either regiment. Lumping Chaos Warriors and Saurus into that category is certainly a benefit, but is it really worth 4pts? Especially when you should have much better 2A, S6 guys in your Special?

Also Dwarfs love Greatweapons. You're I2, so you are going to strike after just about everyone already. The rule of thumb for all armies, is that I3 should strongly consider taking a Greatweapon, and anything with less than I3 should always take a Greatweapon if offered. The average Initiative in Warhammer is I3, so if you have less than I3, you will already be striking last against just about everyone - might as well get +2S for your trouble, right?

So what you've got are Core regiments who aren't meant to lay down the smack on anybody - they're just there to hold the line. You're backing this up with Ironbreakers, who are just Longbeards with +1Sv at +2pts, and they don't count as Core. Is that really worth it to you? I know that you probably like the models and everything, but Hammerers use the same kit, and they're much better. For two reasons:

Reason 1: 2A with access to Greatweapons. That's awesome. These guys are your hammers to help bail out your Core units. They're also the closest thing you've got to a "Death-star Capable" regiment in the book. Dwarfs aren't too awesome at Close Combat, to be entirely honest. Their best option (Slayers) die too easily to be fielded as a heavy regiment, and the rest of the book is limited to 1A and usually striking last. Hammerers are your only really viable option for combat.

Reason the Second: Rune. Of. Groth.
    Seriously man, it's almost brokenly good. This is something that most other armies would need a BSB to get, and you are pulling it in on a single regiment. The Hammerers are the only guys in the book who can do this. Forget Longbeards making everyone Immune to Panic within 6". This is a 12" radius Stubborn. That's practically your whole army. Consider that you're probably throwing your general and BSB into this unit, you're looking at everything rerolling Ld10 all the time.

One of the best ways to take advantage of a build like this, is to fill your Core with Quarellers armed with Greatweapons (notably, they cost as much as Longbeards). Usually, you want to go wide with shooting regiments for max shots, and deep with combat units for steadfast. But your Stubborn, and that means you don't need to go deep. Run your Quarelers in regiments of 24, 8x3, or even Horde them at 10x3 and watch the punishment ensue. People have to get into combat or you're just going to shoot them to death with 16-20 shots per turn, and once they're in combat they start eating S5 attacks until they kill every. last. dwarf. Normally, they're not going to. Especially if you've spent all game shooting holes in them before they charged, and/or you bail the Quarellers out with a timely counter-charge from some Hammerers.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh you're right I hadn't opened the box yet and they can be built as hammerers. I guess I could build them instead.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Keeping that solid advice from Cap in mind, you should also take into account what you are going for. If you want the inside track to winning games with dwarfs, then generally GW are the way forward. However if its not all about the win, and you want to field units you like the look of, that is still worth looking at. I've got my great weapon army, and it does fine in games but it just doesn't feel "fluffy" to neglect shield units in a Dwarf Army. Getting a 5+ parry on the turn your charged, or the +1s on a turn you charge, has also made shields more viable, but they still don't put out the numbers that GWs do.

So, shields are better for dwarfs than they were, but gws are still better. (+ you still get an extra +1 to your strength if charging with a GW, so hammerers who charge hit at S7!)

One thing to consider whilst writing a list using all GWs, is that its also worth compensating the lower armour value you have without shields by taking slightly bigger units than you might normally consider, as you will be saving less. so where you may have considered 30 dwarfs, you want to be looking closer to 35-40.

+ Reply to Thread