>3000 3,100 points against warriors of chaos - Page 2 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing with outriders is: Being vast cav; you can scout them at exactly 24" and an unfavorable angle before the game even begins. With their BS of 4 and multiple shots (*3) they are just as effective as3 handgunners. Immagine a tiny 3-model wide unit of 2 ranks shooting with 18 shots immediately at the first turn.

Buy a champion with BS of 5 to get even more accurate shooting. Just don't be tempted to buy any of the fancy weaponry; their repeating hand guns are statistically the best.

The best thing of them is: they don't automatically die when charged by infantry. Being fast cavalry; they can flee and redeploy next turn.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

You really ran way too much Core for a 3k game. I would have had 2 STanks in that mess, and Demis besides. A few things that stuck out to me in your report have already been covered, but WS10 shouldn't have made your Swordsmen that much more resilient - he'd have been on 4's to hit you rather than 3's, you'd hit back on 3's. Better than nothing, sure, but remember that you need 2x+1WS to put your opponent on 5's (WS3 vs. WS6 hits on 4s', WS3 vs WS7 hits on 5's, etc)

The 25 Greatswords were doomed from the start, and should have been Demigryphs. ASL is a huge problem for them, and their toughness and armor isn't really worth the S5. Likewise, their Detachments could have gone into Core. In your Core, you shouldn't have bothered running Free Co. as they're just really not that awesome at all.

From the sounds of it, your friend's Chaos list was pretty optimized, but it sounds like he may not have understood his rules to the fullest, and he definitely underestimated his Crushers when he hid from that Knight charge - he should have charged the Knights himself, and he would have sent them packing. Crushers are brutal.

Also, might I suggest a Helblaster? When the Chimeras flew towards your cannons, was the problem that you couldn't wheel anything to return fire? HelBlasters are awesome because they're like a machinegun turret for your artillery bubble. Handgunners and XBows can't turn to face the enemy before they fire, but a HBVG certainly can, and they'll rip low-wound units like Fliers, Ambushers, Scouts, and Fast Cav to pieces.

BS-based shooting isn't bad at all if you bring enough of it and know how to use it effectively. It's not the most competitive option, but my 2500pt list would have been pulling one of his regiments off the table every turn. Consider that most WoC armies are smaller than that... you get the picture. I'm in the process of buying up the Vostroyan models that I'll be using to convert the whole thing, but it's based on the School of Engineer's private army. It's a pretty awesome little force, and it's going to weigh a ton with all the metal that's in it!
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo Captain,

Thanks for the reaction. It was not that much useful though, as I chose this army by what models I own. I happen to own only a single steam tank and I wouldn't buy another one under current rules. As a general rule of thumb, I won't field anything "overpowered" in pairs; such as the empire steam tank or a vampire counts terrorgheist. Demigriph's I can borrow from time to time; but current GW pricing prevents me from buying them myself. Nearly all of my (6,000 point) army has been bought off the internet at reduced prices over the last 10 years and I pride myself on this.

In this batte I wanted to field as many infantry models as I could reasonably afford. Hence only the single great cannon. (The 2nd got swapped for 1st leve scroll caddy prior to the batte) . The free company are a legacy of 6th edition; when they were the best point-for-point the Empire could muster.

I like the empire versus chaos set-up; not a steam tank versus chimera set up. So plenty of men of the empire were there. I was prepared for a chaos monster army; though; hence the light-wizards that accompanied my army.

Hellblasters do rock and next time I'd swap at least one unit of BS-shooties (3 is too much) for a hellblaster. Maybe I can find the points somewhere for a 2nd. The greatswords did what they were supposed to do - keep a flank safe until I could redeploy my infantry. On 2nd thougt; 12 or 15 greatswords will do the same at far cheaper price. I'll probaby field them in smaller units next turn.

Vince

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Vincecount View Post
    As a general rule of thumb, I won't field anything "overpowered" in pairs; such as the empire steam tank or a vampire counts terrorgheist.

In this batte I wanted to field as many infantry models as I could reasonably afford. Hence only the single great cannon. (The 2nd got swapped for 1st leve scroll caddy prior to the batte) . The free company are a legacy of 6th edition; when they were the best point-for-point the Empire could muster.
    I would agree with the not doubling-down on units like the STank, but you're playing Empire. It not like we're running a powerful book backed up with even more powerful cheese. Dual STanks is what I consider to be "the great leveler" between us and a lot of opponents. I play in a pretty competitive group though, so nobody feels bad about taking a Death Daemon Prince and 3 Chimeras in a 2500pt game. Empire is one of those armies that is absolutely beautifully written - if every other army got on board. Everything is fair and balanced and meshes together so nicely, and there's no real window to cheese the hell out of the list. The other armies are all fair and balanced and mesh together nicely, but they have at least one "oh my god why?!" choice in the book. The "best" armies have 2 or 3 of those options. It's what's putting Empire behind the curve in most games.

I do remember the days of Free Company though. I have an entire army from Stirland (more Ireland really, but whatever) that is nothing but a bunch of Free Company rabble. Even converted my Pistoliers from Free Company bits.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12