>3000 5200 point Competative army list for review - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5200 point Competative army list for review

Lords
    • Karl Franz
    • Ghal Maraz
    1. pts
    • General
    • Handgun, full plate, runefang, griffon
    1. pts
    • Wizard lord
    • Lvl 4, x2 dispel scroll
    1. pts
    Grand master
    • Lance and shield
    166 pts
    1111 pts

Heroes
    • Wizard
    • Lvl 2, x2 dispel scroll
    1. pts
    • Wizard
    • Lvl 2, x2 dispel scroll, horse
    1. pts
    • Master engineer
    • Repeater pistol
    1. pts
    • Captain
    • Full plate, BSB
    1. pts
    • Captain
    • Full plate, great weapon
    72 pts
    550 pts

Core
    • Halberdiers (+captain without BS
    • X24, full command
    • Detachment
    • x8 Halberdiers
    • Detachment
    • x8 Halberdiers
    1. pts
    • Halberdiers
    • X24, full command
    • Detachment
    • x8 Halberdiers
    • Detachment
    • X10 Free Company
    pts
    • Swordmen
    • X25, full command
    • Detachment
    • x8 Archer
    • Detachment
    • x8 Halberdiers
    1. pts
    • Spearmen
    • X24, full command
    1. s
    • Handgunners
    • X10
    • Marksman, hochland long rifle
    1. s
    • Handgunners
    • X10
    • Marksman, repeater handgun
    1. s
    • Handgunners
    • X10
    1. ts
    • Archers
    • X10
    1. ts
    • Knights
    • X9
    • Full command, war banner, inner circle
    280 pts
    1651 pts

Special
    • Greatswords (+Franz)
    • X19
    • Standard, musician, banner of griffon
    1. pts
    • Great cannon
    • 120 pts
    • Great cannon
    • 120 pts
    • Great cannon
    • 120 pts
    • Mortar
    • 100 pts
    • Demigryfs
    • X5
    • Full command, 320 pts
    • Pistoliers
    • X5
    • Outrider, brace of pistols
    110 pts
    1388 pts

Rare
    • Steam Tank
    • Steam Tank
    [LIST]

Total: 5200 pts

Will probably add another 300 points and 1500 points of Dorfs for lucky 7000 points Thabkyou for your time.

Last edited by BackBreakinBane; April 30th, 2015 at 15:23.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Welcome to the forums!

A couple caveats here:
    1) I don't play as Empire currently, so I don't have the best knowledge of unit costs.
    2) I'm relatively new to Fantasy, so I only see the tournament scene from podcasts, friends' stories, etc.
    3) I'm not a mod/forum admin.

Firstly, I'm fairly sure the forum rules state that you should never post non-upgraded unit costs (i.e. the steam tanks in the list below). You may want to edit that.
    Next, not to burst your bubble (and someone can certainly correct me if I'm wrong), but I don't often see 5200 pt games, (or 7000 pt games) for that matter, let alone tournaments! If you know of an event this large, please let me know as I'm just curious. Otherwise, you may want to trim the list down if you're looking to get into the tournament scene.

You're likely light on artillery. There are lists out there that take 2 cannons at 2500 pts, so taking only 3 at over double that point level is probably going to result in a weak shooting phase, even with all of the handgunners.

Overall though - I think the biggest question is "What do you want the list to do"? How do you want it to work, and what kind of game do you want to play? Do you want to have a balanced game, or would you prefer to load up on one aspect of the game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input .
    To be completely honest it's more for having an actual army that's game legal to display and then using units from the force to make smaller armies, was sort of wanting to know if it could work if I ever found an opportunity field the whole thing.
    I was going for a force that could counter most things it came against with balance, with not too much focus on any single special unit like knights or artillery. Primarily lots of infantry with the special stuff buffed by magic.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Haha, Empire is one of my army. Rikker, DK and I have been holding down the Fantasy stuff until 9th drops and people decide if they want to sneak back out of the woodwork. Good to see another person popping in and posting something! (It's not just LO - all the Fantasy forums are very slow right now, unless someone starts complaining about the rumors).

5200pts is a huge army. I know that you're going for display purposes, so I think it would be better to try and make individual lists out of all this stuff. Right now, I've got 3 Empire armies, although only finished one is the least functional. They're all differently themed however, so they don't look quite the best on a board together. I plan to base them all the same though, whenever I get around to it. Empire is a "drafted" army, so it's not uncommon at all to see a large force on the march, made up of troops with different liveries from several smaller provincial armies. Black-garbed artillery trains from Nuln next to the Red/White Carroburgers and such.

Quote Originally Posted by BackBreakinBane View Post
    Lords[*]Karl Franz[*]Ghal Maraz
    Franzy with Ghal is an awesome model for any army. I'd stick him on a horse though - better for adding "oomph" to the knights, and it gets him a better save. Remember, he has to be the general, so you'll need him well protected.

[*]General[*]Handgun, full plate, runefang, griffon
    I'd stick him on a Pegasus, actually. The griffon tends to get shot out from beneath him - especially in large games like this where you can expect to see lots of magic and shooting on the table. I'd grab him a Ward as well - on a Pegasus in particular, it will carry down to his mount and help to keep the whole model alive. It's the problem with the runefang - it's a great weapon, but it's too expensive to put any kind of defensive items alongside. Consider the Ogre Blade, which would put you at S7. That's basically an autowound (2+) and with S7 giving a -4 to armor, you can ignore practically everything anyways.

[*]Wizard lord[*]Lvl 4, x2 dispel scroll
    Pick a lore prior to the game (technically, at list creation) and also remember that unlike past editions, you can only have one Dispel Scroll in 8th, and can't double up on them. So your other DD wizards are going to lose theirs as well. As this guy is your primary caster, I'd grab him a Wardsave.

Grand master[*]Lance and shield
    You really want to pay that much for Immune to Psych on your Knights? Because that's really all that you get from a Grand Master. I would either drop this guy, or drop the General of the Empire and hand this guy his gear.

[*]Wizard[*]Lvl 2, x2 dispel scroll
    [*]Wizard[*]Lvl 2, x2 dispel scroll, horse
    Why the horse on the second one? And like I said - can't double-up on scrolls like this, or have multiple models with the same item.

[*]Master engineer[*]Repeater pistol
    If you're gonna include one, might as well give him Pigeon Bombs. It makes him into a secondary piece of artillery - a little "mini-mortar" if you will. Otherwise, this guy is a prime candidate for a Long Rifle. Why give him a pistol? If the enemy is that close to him, and you're guarding the artillery like he's supposed to, you have very seriously messed up your game and everything is already dead.

[*]Captain[*]Full plate, BSB
    BSB needs a 4+ Ward.

[*]Captain[*]Full plate, great weapon
    I'd slip him a Halberd to keep his initiative, or else try really hard to get him a better save (ideally a Ward, but if not, at least Dawnstone with a 2+) just so that you live long enough to Strike Last with that Greatweapon.

[*]Halberdiers (+captain without BS[*]X24, full command
    [*]Detachment[*]x8 Halberdiers[*]Detachment[*]x8 Halberdiers
    Empire Core dies bloody, and fast. Particularly Halberds. You want bigger regiments of these. In a big game like this, there's absolutely nothing wrong with fielding a block of 50 Halberds, and then putting 25 Swordsmen as your Detachments. Give someone in the Halbs a "Crown of Command" to make them Stubborn, and suddenly those 25 man Swords become real hard to break. I'd also consider Priests, for Hatred.
    Dets of 8 Halberds is just going to hand over points to your opponent. With a regiment of 24 you can field 12. If you're fielding melee detachments, they should be as large as possible.
    [*]Halberdiers[*]X24, full command[*]Detachment[*]x8 Halberdiers[*]Detachment[*]X10 Free Company
    See above.

[*]Swordmen[*]X25, full command[*]Detachment[*]x8 Archer[*]Detachment[*]x8 Halberdiers
    Swordsmen hold up a little better in small(er) regiments like this. Detachments are too small though, and I'd still consider running these guys as a Detachment to a big block of Halberdiers.

[*]Spearmen[*]X24, full command
    unfortunately; WORST. CORE. IN. THE. BOOK.
    Don't even bother. If you do bother, you need a Horde of them, preferably at 50 models for ablative wounds beyond your maximum attacks.

[*]Handgunners[*]X10[*]Marksman, hochland long rifle
    Marksman's BS isn't good enough to make use of a Hochland. He hits on 3's, unmodified. -1 for Long Range, -1 for sniping a solo, that puts him at 5's to hit anyone inside a regiment. One shot. On average you'll score 2 hits in 6 rounds, wound 1 time, and see that wound bounce off a 4+ Ward for anything worth shooting at. Hochlands are for Outrider Champs, and for Engineers.
    Why not make these guys a Detachment?
    Also, Crossbows are usually better - they've got a longer range, and only lose the -1 for ArmorPiercing.

[*]Handgunners[*]X10[*]Marksman, repeater handgun
    Being a bit hypocritical here, because I have Repeaters in one of my armies (for theme purposes), but they're not worth it. Champ + Repeater is the same as just buying 2 more Handgunners and tagging them on to make the regiment wider.

[*]Handgunners[*]X10
    Por que no Detachment?

[*]Archers[*]X10
    eeeah... they're Archers. It's okay. Huntsmen are cheaper/better if you don't need the points in Core. Otherwise, Detachment?

[*]Knights[*]X9[*]Full command, war banner, inner circle
    Solid, but in a game this size, I'd try for a few more. I play with a block of 15 models (including some characters) at 2500pts. Your game is twice that size! Two blocks, or at least one bigger one!

[*]Greatswords (+Franz)[*]X19[*]Standard, musician, banner of griffon
    Knights and Demis are your high-strength options for an Empire army. These guys just get chopped to bits before they get to attack, and it costs them. They can hold a regiment to death (being Stubborn), but they won't win the rounds of combat.
    [*]Great cannon[*]Great cannon[*]Great cannon
    [*]Mortar
    ARTY TRAIN!

[*]Demigryfs[*]X5[*]Full command, 320 pts
    Why 5? Typically, 4 is as wide as you can go with Monstrous Cav. Going 2 ranks on Demis is wasteful, as the majority of their damage comes from the mounts, and they can't attack from the second rank. Small blocks. If you want a big regiment to pound people with, use Knights. If you want small units to add some damage, use Demis (most other armies will use small blocks of Knights - for us, that's what Demis are for).

[*]Pistoliers[*]X5[*]Outrider, brace of pistols
    "Chaffy" fast-cav like this, they want a Musician before a champion. Gives them a +1 to Rally when they decide they'd rather not eat a block of Chaos Warriors to the face. Once they rally, they turn around and shoot them, then fee again next turn.

[*]Steam Tank[*]Steam Tank
    Nice. STanks are mean. They taper off as the games get larger, but fielding 2 of them in a smaller match is devastating. I know. I'm that kind of jerk.

For the 300pts that you've got left over, I'd grab a Helblaster to guard that artillery train. Empire has a problem with models that can Fly or Ambush getting through our lines and behind the Handgunners. We can't turn around and shoot in the same turn, so having a Helblaster that can spit death in 360o is a real savior.

Otherwise, Empire is one of those armies where - in large games - I have no problem asking/allowing people to use Allied lists. It makes sense from a fluff perspective (multiple Electors allying their armies together) but also, it gives Empire the option to field multiple BSBs and Generals, as well as more of the Specials/Rares that make them a playable army. So for you, it would be two 2600pt armies, each with a General and BSB. It also makes sense for you in particular, since you're planning on dividing this lot up into smaller lists anyways.

Of course, with the new End Times rules, all the chains come off and you can field literally anything, and as much of it as you want. No minimums, no maximums, no worries about duplicates (except named characters and "one per army" choices/items). Of course, if you do that, your opponent has every right to smack you in the gib and then refuse to play against your list. 90% of the End Times stuff is just pain stupid that way.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread