Question About Starting Empire? Post it HERE - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Question About Starting Empire? Post it HERE

It's quite common to see new players coming into Fantasy or the Empire, post up threads on the forums asking
    "What do I do now?" or "I have X, should I also buy Y?"

This thread is intended to be the catch-all for those kinds of questions. This will help the entire Empire community here at LO, giving new players a place to hopefully find that their questions are already answered, and keeping the boards clear so that Veterans can post more specific topics without them being buried under 'Help' threads.

In the future, "Just Starting" threads will be redirected here, and possibly locked, in order to keep the section free of clutter.

So without further ado, I'll turn this over to the vets, if they'd like to post any general information that they think might help with starting an Empire force.

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

n00b

Wow, this sticky is really bustling with activity. har har.

Anywho, some friends and I have been playing 40k for a long time, but we've decided to each start a fantasy army as well, and I chose Empire! I acquired a box of ancient little models, mainly spearmen and riflemen (pistoliers? I don't have the codex yet), with a few metal figures that look like possible HQs and a cannon. Now, without knowing any of the rules, and based off of sheer cool factor and personal interest, what I really want to field are knights of the realm and greatswords, so I was thinking about buying the battallion box. Would anyone recommend or discourage this? or anything else for the matter?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi I am just starting empire and i have a few Qs.
    What lores of magic most benefit the empire
    Which are best spearmen haliberders swordsmen or a mix
    what heroes lords are good/esseintal
    crossbowmen or handgunners
    I have about 30 state troops, 25 handgunners/crossbowmen a hero on horse a canon/mortar and 2 wizards most of which is unbuilt
    what should i next get to make a fully able 1000pts and up, force

thanks for reading and any advice at all will be fully appreciated as this noob needs any and all the advice he can get, thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nulty:

1. Life. or shadows, you mainly want to boost up your survival, or weaken the enemy's.
    2.Swordsmen, 'cause higher melee stats and 5+/6++
    3. 1:BsB, Arch lector or Warrior priest, wizard lord or 2x battle wizards(the lord is better)
    4.crossbowmen, 'cause the 6"+ range is great, when you can shoot on the ifrst turn, when you've started the game.

Here's a list for you:

30 state troops, 25 handgunners/crossbowmen a hero on horse a canon/mortar and 2 wizards

Wizard Lord w/level 4, luckstone, opal amulet -250pts
    Captain w/bsb, barded warhorse, full plate, lance -103pts
    29 swordsmen w/full command, dets: 10 handgunners -279pts
    15 crossbowmen w/musician -125pts
    7 knights w/musician -167pts
    Mortar -xxxpts

=999pts

that's just if you want knights, and your mounted hero, otherwise buy the on foot one bsb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks i might try out the list this week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey guys, im still relatively new to fantasy but i do have a good number of games under my belt at this stage but i have come across a speed bump and i thought i would seek someone elses opinion. the opponent i will be playing next week will be playing skaven and will more than likely field the monstrosity that is the hell pit abomination and to be quite honest i have no idea how to beat it except fire everything i have at it in the first turn hoping to kill it or at least take most of its wounds away. has any1 got any other suggestions? i was also thinking about taking the lore of fire and trying to use an augment spell to inflict flaming attacks so that it cant come back from the dead? is this a good idea or would i be better to take the lore of life or even shadows?
    thanks,
    padie15

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

The lore of Shadow is always a good bet to screw things like that over. However Magic is a fickle beast at the best of times so I'd be packing a back up plan as well. A unit with flaming attacks is always a good buy and with a handy, and cheap, magic banner that gives you flaming attacks you should be sorted.

I have my X-Bow unit the flaming std (after taking a General). This way they can shoot first and inflict a few wounds on a regenerating thing and take the regen off. Then the rest of my force can open up on the now defenceless beasties and take them down. Or you could give it to a unit of KoTIC with lances and see if you can down it in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool this helps alot i'll try it out this week and if it doesnt work i'll maybe switch it up...put the standard on another unit or use a diff lore of magic.
    padie15

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi! I didn't want to create a new thread, to keep it as clean as possible, so I will re-direct my question here:
    I need help with my first army... The Empire.
    Together with my friends we agreed upon making a vanilla 1200 point army. That is not including any bonuses, eq or anything. Just base value for units.
    What I was thinking about:

40x Empire State troops
    8x Knightly Orders
    20x Empire State Handgunners/Crossbowmen
    2x Great cannon/mortar
    5x Pistoliers

TOTAL 834/784

Im still considering some space for extra core infantry.
    And also, is the arty worth it? If yes, what's better mortar or cannon?
    (unfortunatly i don't have acces to an army book, i'm doing my calculations through messeges :/ )

Too bad not enough space for Swordmasters...
    That's for the army... now, I have no idea about the rest, that is heroes and all that crack.
    Please guide me! All comments are very welcome.
    Last edited by CaptainSarathai; May 12th, 2012 at 03:48.
    I can now understand why Warhammer miniatures are meant to keep you entertained for ages... I'm choosing my army for three weeks now...

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Well, my first suggestion is obviously to get the book. We can't really provide you with the costs of any "naked" models, as it's against site rules (I edited your post to remove the costs). I also have a question - when you say "a vanilla 1200pt army, with no equipment" what do you mean? If you mean that you are all planning a 1200pt list and then hoping to increase the size with equipment alone, you're really hamstringing yourselves. Some lists benefit more from equipment than others. For example, practically every High Elf unit can take a 50pt magic banner. They can easily go from 1200pts worth of gear, and skyrocket into something close to 2000pts or more.

Anyways, I'll run through the units you have lined up:

40 Staties - what kind? Swordsmen and Halberdiers are the two most popular, but even at this size game, you don't want anything smaller than 30-strong units. So you have a single block of 40 to work with. Since the game is bigger, and you're running a larger regiment, I'd say that survivability is secondary, and you should therefore run Halberds.

8 Knights - this does nothing for you. Ranks of 5 remember? You want either 5, or 10, and I'd go with 10. If you're worried about having too many left over models (on a budget) buy two boxes of Knights, run them 15-strong and use the leftover mount to convert a Priest to lead them.

20 Shootas - Crossbowmen all the way. Handgunners have short ranged weapons and neither unit can move. I'm finding in my Empire army (and in 8th in general) that missile weapons don't really do as much as they used to or as we wish they did. I'd spend these points on 20 more Staties to split into units of 30 models.

Cannon/Mortar - Cannons are better than Mortars now after the nerf, and neither is particularly good. You need 2 cannons if you want to bring down enemy monsters, and that's assuming your opponent even brings a monster to the table. Empire are strange in that just having the option to bring a cannon scares most people away from taking monsters or chariots (don't let them know that no Empire general worth his floppy sleeves would actually take a cannon). If you want artillery, the Helblaster is really the best option in the book, but then, it's just a Handgunner regiment so I'll leave that up to you. It sounds like you want some Greatswords... this might be the budget-cut that you need.

Pistoliers - let me know how these work out for you. Personally, I'd rather have a unit of 10. The difficulty with Pistols is that they're short range but not (iirc) "Quick to Fire", so it's rare that you get your S&S reaction, and if you do, you're probably going to eat charging-hulk-unit shortly after. For this reason, I have come to prefer Outriders, they work better as a "I'm in your way, I S&S if you charge me, and you die messy for it" type unit. Otherwise, good job, you just shot a unit from the side instead in front, that does... nothing. Get twice as many handgunners, or drop these guys for Knights/Greatswords/ExtraCannon whatever.

As far as Heroes - Captains are worth it just for the Line! rule to help your Leadership and the fact that one of them should also be carrying a giant Battle Standard. Then you want Priests for the ridiculousness that are Prayers. A Hurricanum can't hurt either for the +1 To Hit bubble. You've got a good start (missile-weapons excepted) but I'd really try to figure out what size game you guys want to play, rather than how many naked soldiers you want to collect. The unit sizes tend to fluctuate based on the minimum percentages and the size of the armies you are fighting - the magic phase becomes horrifying at 500pts but is laughable at 3-4k.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast