Converting the mechanical steed for 40K - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Converting the mechanical steed for 40K

Hello! Normally I don't venture into this area of the forum but I had a few questions before I bought a model to convert for my space marines army. The model in question is the mechanical steed for the master engineer. My lists feature a chapter master riding a bike with a thunder hammer and a fancy storm shield (in non 40K terms my armies leader on an armored motorcycle with a giant shield and a big hammer). While trying to figure how to model him I ran into the problem of how he would steer the bike with both of his hands holding something. I had come up with a couple ideas that I had never really been happy with until I remembered the robo-horse and thought it might be able to solve all of my worries and allow me to be able to make my leader the unique centerpiece he deserves to be.

I have never seen the mechanical steed in person so I wanted to know a.) Are the legs of the rider are a piece of the horse or are they separate? b.) What is the size of the horse in particular in relation to a space marine? If you could give me a picture of the two standing together you would be my hero. c.) If you have any tips for how to paint or convert this monster I would love to hear them.

If and hopefully when I get this bad boy started I will do my best to get some pictures up for you guys. Thanks in advance for the help and interest.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

A) Yeah, his legs are attached and furthermore, they are unarmored. Great for Fantasy, stinks for 40k. Here's the model broken out into pieces. This one is cast in metal, but it's the same as the resin version:

Horse in relation to Marine? I was trying to find pictures to give you an idea, as I thought that it would have had to have been done already, but it seems you're the first (congratulations). I could find 40k-ized versions of the horse using the original rider, but this Necron is the best I could find for something 40k on the back. If you're familiar with 40k Necrons, this should be a good scale comparison for you:

C) for tips, the legs are pretty easily reposed thanks to the round knees, so you just cut it the same way you would repose a Tau Battlesuit.
    The rider's legs might be a bit of a pain though. Resin is soft enough that you should be able to just gouge them out, but you'll be exposing a lack of detail and such, since there's nothing beneath them obviously. Getting the Marine to straddle it will probably also be a little tough, and will depend largely upon how you chop out the original rider's legs. Fantasy models tend to have "bendy legs" when riding horses, which sort of irritates me, but I understand the need to provide enough surface to actually glue it together. 40k Bikers don't have this problem, because their bikes aren't as round as the sides of a horse. You're probably going to have to cut the Marine legs in half at the waist, patch it with a saddle front and back, and then repose the knees a bit. I strongly suggest reposing the legs - I have a feeling that if you just try the easy "glue him to the back" he won't look natural - his legs will stick out to the front, etc.

Or, you know, you could always just play the first 30 seconds of this song for your friends, if they ask any questions:
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x5)

Im not sure but those Necron legs looks like its the original legs with greenstuff. Cant you just use greenstuff and make the original legs look like marine legs? Spacemarine have a quite simple shape...
    Keep the paint diluted and thin :)
    (first rule in Zentradis book of painting)
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Zentradi

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help. I had been rather surprised myself that I couldn't find anyone else who had done this as well hence why I was worried about the scale. Your tips are appreciated and I'm very glad you found those pictures. I am going to go ahead and try and do this conversion. As for your song we had actually joked about that when my friend was making a chaos lord on a bike with a lightning claw and a power fist.

As for greenstuffing over the legs of the original rider I don't think I have the skill needed for that. I can patch gaps and do a small amount of low level fabrication but that would be too detailed and noticeable for me.

+ Reply to Thread