Hi all! Advice on starting an EMPIRE ARMY - WH FANTASY - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all! Advice on starting an EMPIRE ARMY - WH FANTASY

Hi All,

It is a pleasure to be a member of this great community.

My name is Lordmariskal and I am from Spain.

I have been playing during many years WH 40K with my LOCAL friends allways commanding an ULTRAMARINE army.

Now we plan to start playing WH FANTASY starting in January.

The army that better appeals to me is THE HUMAN EMPIRE.

I would appreciate your support and ADVICE on how to start collecting and EMPIRE army: what to start buying, advice on tactics, errors to avoid when collecting empire, etc.

The type of ARMY that I would like to play is a BALANCED and FLEXIBLE one with important levels of ARTILLERY and based in COUNTERATTACK: decimating the enemy while he is advancing towards me and with enough flexibilty to adjust my actions according to the attacking plan of my enemy.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Lordmariskal

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Welcome to the site mate I can't say I'm an overly experienced Empire General but I have dabbled with them for a while.

As for the lists you can make with the Empire Army, well, you can do loads. All Cavalry seems to be quite popular but balanced lists can do very well. Most of the balanced lists are centred around a big block of Swordsmen/Halberds with detachemnts of Swordsmen/Halberds for counter charge. This main block is then supported by hammers such as Inner Circle Knights and/or Demi Gryphs. Characters tend to be based around an Arch Lector, a LVL4 of some description and then a BSB. If you have points to spend then other support units like Cannons, Steam Tanks, Out Riders and so forth are all good choices.

The only things I'd say to definitely avoid are Spearmen and Militia. Hand Gunners are ok but most people prefer Crossbows for the extra range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

I want to THANK YOU very much for your answer. It has been of great help.

Taking into consideration that I want to build a BALANCED list as a whole and taking into consideration your ADVICE I have been proposed to use bellow list as it is a WELL ROUNDED ALL COMER'S LIST.

Templar Grand Master - 259 pts
    Shield, Runefang, The Other Trickster's Shard

Captain of the Empire - 143 pts
    Battle Standard Bearer, Full Plate Armour, Shield, Ogre Blade, Dragonhelm

Battle Wizard - 125 pts
    Level 2, Dispel Scroll

15 Crossbows - 155 pts
    Musician, Standard Bearer

29 Halberdiers - 194 pts

9 Inner Circle Knights - 250 pts
    Musician, Standard Bearer, Gleaming Pennant

Great Cannon - 120 pts

Great Cannon - 120 pts

30 Greatswords - 350 pts

3 Demigryph Knights - 184 pts
    Musician

5 Pistoliers - 100 pts
    Musician

TOTAL POINTS = 2.000 points

I would appreciate again your help with my bellow questions and concerns:

1. What do you think of this list? Would you improve something?

2. Which is your advice regarding the RANKS configuration of the infantry and knight units (ROW * COLUMNS)?

a) 29 Halberdiers
    b) 15 Handgunners
    c) 30 Swordmen
    d) 9 Inner Circle Knights

3. Proposal to bring the list to 2.500 points? (maybe 1*STEAM TANK + 1*VOLLEY CANNON + 1 PRIEST/ENGINEER/HERO)?

Thanks again for your allways GREAT help.

Lordmariskal

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x4)

Hi welcome I hope I can be of some help.

Start at the top you have to many pts in this lords and really you want a level 4 wizard with the 4+ ward save talisman. This choice is almost an auto take at 2000pts. Thing with empire is our characters aren't great.

Captain needs a ward you need that bsb to keep your army fighting put him on a steed with lance armour of destiny and shield 2+ with a 4+ ward.

Drop the level 2 no need for him if you do want more Heros priests are the way forward.

Core knights seem fine though could save pts drop the inner circle thing and take free great weapons that is personal choice also drop the magic banner. Halbadiers you need more 30 is not enough unless you do 5x6. Are the crossbows a detachment? If so 10 5x2 if not 14 7x2 no command. You would be better with hand gunners at the same price, again personal opinion.

Special demi gryphs are in my opinion our best unit best in units of 4 standard only and lance I often take 2 units in my armies 1k or more pistols again great flank and chalf hunters no command. Great swords not something I have seen used for a long time I don't use them simply put demi knights do it better sure you get ranks but you have normal infantry for that a base of 4 demi will put out 12 str5 attacks and 4 str 6-4 for 16 attacks. Better than swords the same width they have tough 4 and a 1+ armour save and you have to loose 3 wounds before you lose any combat efficiency. So in short for hammers demi gryphs are better. Great cannons a nice solid choice.

All in all not an awful list, you just need to tweak it and play with it I use a lvl 4 light to great effect in my list. Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi d_k_patt,

Thank you very much for your great HELP!

I have several questions regarding your comments:

1. Which is your recommendation regarding the TOTAL number of bodies to use in the HALBERDIERS unit? Which would be the ranks configuration (wide*deep) in this case?

2. According to your comments, it would be a good deal to substitute de TEMPLAR GRAND MASTER with a WIZARD LORD LEVEL 4?

3. Your proposal is to use a DEMIGRYPH unit of 4 bodies with a 4*1 configuration?

4. Which, in your opinion, are the best defensive MAGIC SCHOOLS?

Thanks againg!

Lordmariskal

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

Not a problem in truth depends who your fighting if you're going to take a lot of damage you want deep ranks if you want cause damage you want width if your going defensive swords are better halberds are better for doing some damage get a I would say 40 to 50 unit size if you take 50 horde if you take 40 u have two options 8x5 or 5x8. Good way to make them survivable is a priest and use his spell to give them a 5+ ward I take 2 units of 39 priest in each full command then 5x8 if I need steadfast 8x5 if I wanna hit some more but either way these are your anvils.

Personally at least here you normally need a level 4 as your opponent will have one and yeah he will help your army more. My suggestion is light cause you can bubble spells that make you great. Speed of light can give your army WS 10 I 10 meaning you will hit on 3's and be hit on 5 by most and you will strike first. Priest will give you re rolls in first turn of combat. Birons time warp can give your army always strike first +1 attack and double movement those two spells combined will be incredible striking first re rolls extra attacks and double movement I have won many a game because of that spell combo.

Demi gryphs are without doubt our best unit for damage output and survivability lances not halberds need to keep the 1+ armour save.

Remember to protect that bsb as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe I am misreading the core rulebook... but aren't demigryph models toughness 3?...isn't it same as normal cav in that you use the riders toughness?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Not quite, You use the highest toughness and wounds characteristic of the mount. So, for example, a T3 Elf with 2 Wounds riding a T4 3W beasty will use the T4 and 3 Wounds. Monstrous mounts are pretty nifty to give to heroes!! This is an Errata you'll find in the Rule book FAQ on the GW homepage. LINKY

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

yeah the demi gryphs would therefore be tough 4 wounds 3 1+ armous save (they are so so so so good).

+ Reply to Thread