Has anyone ever tried an army like this? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Has anyone ever tried an army like this?

So I was trying to think of the stupidest and most broken list I could field with the models I own, and this is what I came up with. I wrote it at home and now I'm at work so this is from memory, and some stuff might be wrong

Lords
    Kurt Helborg
    Battle Wizard Lord, Lvl 4 with warhorse

Heroes
    Warrior Priest, barded warhorse, heavy armor, great weapon, van horstmans speculum
    Captain BSB, full plate armor, barded warhorse, shield, crown of command
    Battle Wizard, dispel scroll

Core
    1 unit of 30 Inner Circle Knights (LOL!) with full command and steel standard

Special
    8 Reiksguard with full command (Kurt and one other character go here)
    Cannon
    Cannon

Rare
    Steam Tank

Is this viable? Can you even have hordes of cavalry or is that against the rules?

You?! No!
    --Famous last words of Asmodean

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

You can indeed have a horde of cav. It will just be sooo unwieldy and People could just hold up the entire unit with a big unit of goblins, zombies, saurus, swordsmen, slaves etc. They will hit like the angry hand of Zeus but after that only hurt will bring the pain and people will just kill the wizard as he will be in the front rant and has no ward. If you have the models I would scrap the Stank and cannons in favor of outriders/pistols. Give it a try I can't say I have ever seen an army used like this, it might do well. Just pray for no lore of metal.
    Upon wings of iron they fall upon the foe

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

Swap the knights for great weapons put the priest and bsb in the unit make the level 4 a light wizard so you can boost them to asf (iinitiative with asl) boost them to Ws 10 I 10 they get re rolls from priest and 5++ now that's broken 30+ str 6 attacks 2+ 5++ Ws 10 I 10 now that's broken

P.s drop Kurt and take Some Damn demis lol and give the priest the Mr 3 amulet as metal will wreak your day if I was to do what you are suggesting my list would be

Level 4 light barded stead +1 cast and dispel rod tali of endurance.

Priest great weapon helm of the skaven slayer Mr 2 amulet heavy armour barded
    Bsb plate barded stead tali of pres iron curse icon great weapon
    28 knights inner circle great weapons full command banner of swiftness 10 x 3

4 demi gryphs

4 demi gryphs

6 barded out riders

6 barded out riders

now that's broken and could likely be fields at
    Last edited by d_k_patt; July 1st, 2014 at 22:23.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by d_k_patt View Post
    Swap the knights for great weapons put the priest and bsb in the unit make the level 4 a light wizard so you can boost them to asf (iinitiative with asl) boost them to Ws 10 I 10 they get re rolls from priest and 5++ now that's broken 30+ str 6 attacks 2+ 5++ Ws 10 I 10 now that's broken

P.s drop Kurt and take Some Damn demis lol and give the priest the Mr 3 amulet as metal will wreak your day if I was to do what you are suggesting my list would be

Level 4 light barded stead +1 cast and dispel rod tali of endurance.

Priest great weapon helm of the skaven slayer Mr 2 amulet heavy armour barded
    Bsb plate barded stead tali of pres iron curse icon great weapon
    28 knights inner circle great weapons full command banner of swiftness 10 x 3

4 demi gryphs

4 demi gryphs

6 barded out riders

6 barded out riders

now that's broken and could likely be fields at
    Sadly I don't have any demigryph models. But no cannons? Why not?
    You?! No!
    --Famous last words of Asmodean

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

Not much point in an army that will be in combat turn 2 your paying 220pts for 2 shots

The main point of my post was the hard to kill very easy going to kill every thing else horde of knights but tbh your never be able to use a unit that big your better off with 2 blocks of 15
    Last edited by d_k_patt; July 2nd, 2014 at 07:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've fielded all-mounted empire armies since 4th edition and the gameplay is great. the combination of Knights, tanks, pistoliers and (since 7th ed.) mobile shooties that are quite decent make for an army that can really force it's hitting power into one part of the battlefield.

Just don't expect to win,but this has always been the case.

In the past (4th, 5th) edition the empire Knights were just an expensive, slow moving, alternative to brettonian Knights. You were much better off using the froggies.

During 6th and 7th this improved a lot as empire Knights got cheaper and got plate armour. On top of that, outriders became the addition to the empire army that provides long-range missile weapons that the mounted empire lacked. The Stank returned in the 2002 anual after being left out in the 6th edition army book. I think the empire mounted army was most viable back then.

Currently with steadfast infantry and cheaper troops all over the board, empire cavalry lacks the hitting power that other armies (chaos in particular) do have. Despite that, we got the demigryphs which really add to this kind of army. this, and lore of metal, makes the viability of this kind of army doubtful at best.

I'd choose an army as follows:
    Characters: level4 mage, possibly arch lector/speculum (all mounted)
    Heroes: Warrior priests, possbily bsb. (not obligatory, but very cheap if outfitted with only nonmagical equipment)
    Core: units of Knights of 11 strong. (+1 one char = 12 strong)
    Special: Demigryphs and/or outriders. Pistoliers against certain armies.
    Rare: Stank. two in 3k or more.

+ Reply to Thread