Search and destroy lord - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search and destroy lord

I have a very defensive list and seem to struggle against large amounts of warmachines, to that end I would like to know if this lord is overkill, just enough kill or not enough kill to effectively silence some crews.

General, Lance, Fullplate, Shield, Helm of the skavenslayer, Pegasus, swift hoof ;-184

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x4)

Why don't you just take a captain on peg cheaper and has same stats pretty much as a general? Great weapon full plate skaven helm tali of endurance

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Why not just share your list with us? Every army or build will have it's hard-counter, so warmachines might just be yours. If you're playing a defensive army (I'm reading: static gunline) then you're going to have trouble with more than just Warmachines - you should be suffering against anything with lots of armor and/or speed, or any kind of shooting which outranges your own and is capable of killing off T3 lightly armored Empire models (a'la Wood Elves, Dark Elves).
    Short answer: it might be your list, slotting in a character might not be the answer here.

As for slotting in a character - you suffer against Warmachines, which suggests that the army is models-lite. So you're carving out a couple of hundred points to get a General on a Gryphon into the army? And what's to stop those warmachines from just cannoning your general into the ground at first sight?

Sending in any flying character against warmachines without support is kind of a bad idea. The rest of your army is lined up along your deployment zone, this guy is the only target for most of your opponent's forces. That's alright if it's going to take turns and effort to kill him off, but this is a 1-turn drop for your opponent.
    Throw in more fliers to your list and you might as well take advantage of the new 50% rules to make yourself a little mini airforce, back it up with Knights and Demis, and call it a day.

So what's your list look like, and what army/machines are giving you fits and why? That might be a little more helpful than asking for a character who can kill warmachines (Captain on Pegasus, TalPres, Charmed Shield, Fullplate, Lance)
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My list ATM is still being finished but currently stands at a 50 swords men block, 2 10 halberdier detachments, 2 units of 3 Demi's, 2 stanks a lv4 life wizard, bsb, warrior priest and a small unit of archer

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Going for the "huge parent" strategy huh? First of all, 10 man detachments are going to do f-all for you except die. Especially something like Halberdiers, who lack much in the way of defensive gear. I'd swap them out. You're actually not hurting on models at all yet - run 50 Haberdiers and then small detachments of SMen. The Swordsmen won't kill too much, but with the parry and better armor they don't need as many bodies to soak up the pain. A good trick that I've used in the past is to give your Priest the "Crown of Stubborn". It carries over to the detachments, so with Stubborn and Hold the Line you are harder to break than even Lizardmen. Those 25-man Sword blocks become nasty little tarpits. Plus Hatred, obviously.

2 STanks, 6 Demis, and a solid block of Infantry isn't a defensive list at all. That's actually probably the issue that you're having: you can't outshoot anyone with that list, and I'm assuming that you're hanging back and trying?
    Also, Life doesn't have great returns for Empire. Bringing back a couple of SMen or Halbies does nothing for us. Not when you compare it to something like Elves, who get 3x the amount of points back per model (usually). I'd absolutely go with Shadow for your army. Being able to play the buff/debuff game with your Infantry can be brutal. Debuffing Strength also keeps our pitiful little T3 guys in the fight that much longer.

If WMs are bringing you down though, I can't suggest more that you ditch your Infantry and grab yourself some blocks of Kniggits. That, combined with your Demis and STanks, plus the optional flying characters and such - you could have a dirty, sexy armylist at your disposal.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x4)

I'm with cap here your big unit needs to be halberds and needs the priest crown of command enchanted just for the boost, his prayers affect detachments also can't stress how good a unit like this can be.

You need to get yourself some chalf flank runners pistols are good as are outriders for this.

I agree with cap shadow is best but light can work quite well for an empire force.

The filthy list cap has suggested can be evil a big block of gw wielding knights of the inner circle banner of discipline with arch lector helm of the skaven slayer crown of command talisman of pres great weapon heavy armour barded steed and bsb full plate gw barded steed cloak of ulric. A level 4 mounted light 2 blocks of 5 pistols 2 blocks of demis and 2 steam tanks.

Be warned people will hate you but it's such a good list
    Last edited by d_k_patt; November 1st, 2014 at 23:23.

+ Reply to Thread