VW Round 2: Lector Alvar Crowell's New Era Army VS The Grudge Settlers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Round 2: Lector Alvar Crowell's New Era Army VS The Grudge Settlers

Scenario: Meeting Engagement
    Map: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    Top Deployment: nigelboyett
    First Turn: nigelboyett

*************************************************************************** ***********************

Player: CaptainSarathai

Spells Rolled in order:
    lv4 - 1, 2, 3, 3

Units in reserve:
    Steamtank

List:

Lector Alvar Crowell's New Era Army
    Here's my entry for the Votewar. Wound up going with Empire in the end. List as follows:

Lords: 604/750
    Lector Alvar Crowell
    Arch Lector
    Shield, War Altar, Armor of Destiny
    @ 304

Alchemister Drogead
    L4 Wizard (lore of Metal)
    Talisman of Preservation, Van Horstman’s Speculum, Channeling Staff
    @ 300

Heroes: 260/750
    Eddard Montach
    Empire Captain, BSB
    Shield, Armor of Fortune, Warrior Bane
    @ 127

Richard Bakter
    Warrior Priest
    Barded Steed, Heavy Armor, Spellshield, Talisman of Endurance
    @ 133

Core: 822/750
    14 Inner Circle Knights
    Full Command, Banner of Flame
    395pts

35 Swordsmen
    w/ Musician, Standardbearer
    @ 265
    Detachment
    18 Crossbowmen

Special: 1061/1500
    39 Greatswords
    w/ Full Command
    18 Crossbowmen

10 Outriders
    w/ Musician
    10 Outriders
    w/ Musician

Rare: 500/750
    "Old Ironsides"
    Steam Tank

2997/3000
    Deployment and Tactics:

Deployment
    Greatswords&BSB: North of the tower, edge deployment
    >XBow Detachment&Wizard – inside the tower, 15 shots outbound over the building

Swordsmen&Priest: South of the tower, on river’s edge
    >XBow Detachment – in river, in front of SMen, edge of deployment

Outriders 1: along my long edge, edge of deployment, across river, vanguard to cut LoS with the building, into range of artillery/anvil

Knights&Priest: near Outriders1, in river if need be, edge of DZ

Outriders 2: north of GSwords, edge of deployment. Vanguard into range of artillery

WAltar: behind GSwords

STank: Reserves, enters north of bridge, advances into range for Steam Cannon if there’s time. Otherwise deploys into cover if Dwarf Cannon is still active to deny VPs.

Wizard Spells: SearingDoom, EnchantedBlades, GlitteringRobes, FinalTrans

Tactics:
    Outriders: target artillery first. Next target quarrelers if able, then Anvil
    Xbows: Add to Outrider fire, then target Miners and incoming Reserves. In river, advance to garrison building.
    WAltar: 4+ ward on Rider and Altar gives Artillery hard time, willing to draw fire off Knights/ORs, advances with GSwords

Everyone else: crosses the river quickly, before the Dwarfs can try to lock me there. Go around the North building for concealment and to maintain formation. I expect that he’ll try to pull a bad charge from my Infantry with Anvil – not much I can do for that. Trying to engage before Reserves arrive, since with just 1 unit in Reserve I expect to have an early numbers advantage.

Outriders and/or WAlatar at the long edge will charge any arriving reserves if they threaten the flank of my GSwords – better to lose a unit of ORs than the GSwordsmen (and an OR flank charge might actually fair vs. Dwarfs w/ help from WAltar and buffing Wizard)

Magic: Early Blades on the ORs for their shooting. SearingDoom might draw out dice if it scares him, but otherwise it’s keeping to Final Transmutation – especially early game when I’ll have to cast hard to beat his Dispel.

Confident?
    I have more boots on the ground, more shooting with lots of 360d LoS in those buildings, cover for my advance, and a much smaller “No Man’s” land to cross to combat – especially if he tries to lock me against the river. He has a long front to cover if he doesn’t turtle in the top corner, my Knights and ORs can probably slip his flanks and get at his juicy guns and anvil.
    *************************************************************************** ***********************

Player: Nigelboyette

Spells Rolled in order:

Units in reserve:
    Dwarf Lord
    Hammerers
    Cannon w/ RoBurning

List:

The Grudge Settlers
    Lord Flann Forgebeard
    Dwarf lord with greatweapon, master rune of gromil, rune of resistance, rune ofpreservation, master rune of kragg the grim, rune of snorri, rune offire 261p

Runelord with shield, master rune of balance, 2runes of spellbreaking, rune of stone, rune of preservation, anvil ofdoom 438p

Runesmith with shield,master rune of challenge, rune of spellbreaking, rune of stone127p

Thane with battle standard, master rune of spite, rune ofstone, rune of resistance 165p

30 dwarf warriors with shieldsfull command 295p

30 dwarf warriors with great weapons, fullcommand 325p

10 quarreler rangers withgreat weapons 140p

30 dwarf hammerers full command, masterrune of grungi 440p

30 dwarf miners full command and steamdrill 380p

cannon with rune of forging 125p

cannon withrune of forging and burning 130p

grudge thrower with rune ofaccuracy, 2 runes of penatration, and engineer 170p

2996p
    Deployment and Tactics:

If I get the side with the hill I will set up my artillery upon the hill with my units in front of it, if I get the other side I will concentrate my forces and depending where he deploys I ill either try to block him off at the river or just stay put and shift to face his units. As for target priority I plan to use the one cannon I have in play turn 1 to hit either the war altar or steam tank depending on what I can see( if I get hill I will most likely see both if not then who knows how he will conceal his big stuff). I do plan on putting one shot into the tank though so it will have a harder time being able to upkeep steam points. The grudge thrower will go into the greatswords because I know how effective these guys are in combat and if I can cut them down by even 12 models I will have a better chance pinning them and even winning combat. The cannon in reserve when it comes will go into whatever it can by turn 3 not much I can do with it but it will shoot watevers not in combat starting with priority targets. Depending on the circumstance the lord with hammerers will take up a flank. The banner will go into the middle of my force with my shield warriors. Again I will use the runesmith with rune of challenge to disrupt a charge for one more turn of shooting at the unit. Miners will be stalled using the steam drill and when they do come in try to cause his forces to break with flank charges to already in combat units. Anvil will try and wrath and ruin the outriders to thin their numbers and try to cause them to break, but if not then just slow them down. I will have to take all the crossbowman fire but at least if the hammerers come in ill have some ward saves against it. My rangers will be seeking to pump fire into the greatswords. I also plan to concentrate my dwarfs to minimize the whole detachment flank thing as much as possible. some of his stuff might be in reserve so heres my shooting kill order Arch Lector or steam tank> greatswords> outriders(only with anvil tho) > knights> swordsmen.

heres my strat.
    *************************************************************************** **************

Please vote for which list you believe will do the best. Explainations are not required, but are a good idea. The two owners of the list are not allowed to post in their own battle. Please put all voting in either BOLD or UNDERLINE

Good luck!

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

I'm giving it to theNew Era Army since their shooting is much better, and they should be able to eliminate all of the dwarves' shooting and force them to come forward to attack. Once the cannons are gone the Steam Tank can come out and help in the fight. In addition, once the dwarf shooting is gone, the outriders can then focus on weakening the main blocks.
    They totally need to put Bagpipers in for the high elves.
    X amount of points- any army with a bagpiper in them wins automatically based on sheer awesomeness.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

I have to agree with Stahlfeld for pretty much the same reasons. The outriders have a good chance of wiping out the dwarf artillery early on and get very good VPs put of that. After that the Empire can pick a unit, concentrate shooting on it and charge the rest out. So New Era Army it is.
    Last edited by Polaria; February 26th, 2013 at 06:25.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Even an unmolested unit of Outriders struggles to kill 3 T7 wounds in one turn. Give that the Dwarfs are going first and ARE molesting the Outriders I don't think the Cannons are likely to die. Heck 1 whole unit of Outriders can immediately be put of the game with MRoChallenge.

The Stank and Waltar must hide or the Dwarfs win (how many times can the Empire player trust his 4+ Ward? If he doesn't hide the dwarfs will be rubbing their hands with glee.). If the Stank and Waltar do hide, the Empire lose in combat. It is important to realise that the Grudge Thrower has about a 60% hit rate against a Stank or Waltar if I have their size right (50mmx100mm?). RoForging crazy good to (the Cannons have an 87.5% chance of hitting a Stank or Waltar if shooting at the long end. Only 78% if shooting at the short end ).

Dwarfs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

With the Stank in reserve and the Waltar behind the greatswords(as well as one cannon in reserve) the dwarven shooting will be hampered on turn 1. This gives the empire time to move up and engage. I think this will eventually be enough to swing the fight in the favor of the New Era Army but not by much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by NecroNid View Post
    Waltar behind the greatswords(as well as one cannon in reserve) the dwarven shooting will be hampered on turn 1.
    The Waltar is to tall to hide behind infantry and Cannons can still overshoot into him even if he was out of LoS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

Regardless of height if the Altar is right behind the greatswords the dwarves will have to rely on overshoot to get to the Altar. I think that combined with the Ward there is enough reason to believe that the Altar will survive long enough for Outriders to at least tie up the cannon crew and keep them out of the battle for the middle turns.

Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

94 (x2)

This is a hard one to call to be honest. It really could go either way. The Dwarfs have the combat, however, they don't have the manoeuvrability of the outriders and knights, or the firepower. The cannons can and will deal with at least the War Altar or a Steam Tank, but with only 3 machines, one of which will most likely be cutting down the threat of the Greatswords (Grudge Thrower), the cannons will not be around long enough to make enough of an impact. The most they could hope for would be the dead War Altar. By turn 3 the Cannons will be gone, but I'd say so would the War Altar. This potentially shifts the fight in favour of the Dwarfs. Without Hatred, the Greatswords will be at a major disadvantage against the Hammerers. The Crossbowmen whittling them with shooting will somewhat balance this. The ranged dominance, combined with Blades, Robe and Transmutation, which whilst kept out of play in the first few turns by Spellbreaker Runes, will be able to come into play, even with the Rune of Balance, the Empire will be able to push a key spell or two through. That said, the Dwarfs still have 130 T4 models to punch through, which helps reduce crossbow casualties. I think though that it'll be a win for The New Era Army, even if it's by a scrape.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

I'm not sure the Empire has enough power to break all these Dwarf units. I had a hard time deciding, but I'm voting for The Grudge Settlers.

Closed Thread