VW Round 2: Waaagh!!!! Dwarfchewer VS The Filth-Ridden Coven - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Round 2: Waaagh!!!! Dwarfchewer VS The Filth-Ridden Coven

Scenario: Meeting Engagement
    Map: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    Top Deployment: Non Marine Player
    First Turn: Non Marine Player

*************************************************************************** *************************

Player: Dwarfchewer

Spells Rolled in order:
    Lvl 2 -1, 3

Units in reserve:
    Warboss
    1x 30 Orcs
    Trolls

List:

Waaagh!!!! Dwarfchewer

Lord:
    Grimtoof Dwarfchewer - Black Orc warboss - heavy armor, enchanted shield, bashas axe of stunty bashin - 215 points

Heroes:
    Skargrim Neckbreaker - Black Orc big boss - battle standard bearer, armor of silvered steel - 160 points
    Gaglug Grimgobbler - Orc shaman - level 2, crown of command - 135 points

Core:
    40 Orcs - additional hand weapons, full command - 315 points
    30 Orcs - shields, full command - 245 points
    30 Orcs - shields, full command, Big Uns - 305 points
    40 Night Goblins - full command, 3 fanatics - 235 points
    10 Wolf Riders - shields - 110 points
    10 Wolf Riders - shields - 110 points

Special:
    25 Black Orcs - shields, full command - 360 points
    6 Spear Chukkas - 210 Points

Rare:
    8 River Trolls - 360 Points
    3 Doom Divers - 240 Points

Total = 3000 points
    Deployment and Tactics:

So my deployment is section B as on page 149 of the warhammer book. I will array the forces behind the fences and to the right of them. Closest to board edge on the right will be the black orcs with shaman, then two spear chukkas and a doom diver, then space for the 30 orc reserve to fill the gap, next another two spear chukkas and a doom diver, then 30 big uns with bsb, another two spear chukkas and doom diver, then 40 orcs with the warboss who will join after, next to the left will be space for the trolls to fill and finally the night goblins. The two wolf rider units will be positioned in the middle of the line in front of the orc units. All units will be in units of 5 per rank.
    My tactics are very un orc like but I will hold back my units and shoot as long as I can. First to target will be the vargheists and terrorgheists. Ive no concern for the zombies as they shamble towards me. Splitting up my artillery means he can throw all his flyers at once to take them out. Having to space them out, if they do attack my artillery, my other units will be there to flank him. Also, the wolf riders will surge forward and try to go after his lords unit to stall them as the rest of my army shoots and tries to take out the flyers. Once my wolves are destroyed, all my war machines may be lucky enough to concentrate on the ghouls and take them out. The shaman has hand of gork, useful for repositioning my units if the flyers rear end me. Hopefully my 8 trolls get to fight a terrorghesit or the vargheists.
    Yes, I know I am outmatched in terms of magic, but with winds of magic i may still have a chance.
    Waaagh!!!
    *************************************************************************** ********************

Player: Non Marine Player

Spells Rolled in order:
    lvl4 - 4, 5, 5, 5
    lvl4 - 3, 3, 4, 4
    lv2 - 1, 4
    lvl2 - 1, 6
    lvl 1 - 1

Units in reserve:
    1x 40 Zombies
    1x Vargheist unit
    1x Fell Bats unit

List:

The Filth-Ridden Coven

Lords: 550
    Coldar Krieg, Master Necromancer - Level 4, Arabyan Carpet - 250 (Death)
    Manndred Volmar, Master Necromancer - Level 4, Talisman of Preservation, Black Periapt - 300 (Vampires, General)

Heroes: 490
    Ludwig Von Battenhoff, Vampire - Level 2, Forbidden Lore (Beasts), Sword of Swift Slaying, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armour - 199
    Trastig Von BattenhoffVampire - Level 2, Forbidden Lore (Light), Sword of Might, Heavy Armour, Shield, Dragonhelm - 201
    Jurgen Reigeson, Necromancer - Dispel Scroll - 90 (Vampires)

Core: 750
    40 Ghouls - Ghast - 410
    40 Zombies - Standard, Musician - 130
    40 Zombies - Standard, Musician - 130
    5 Dire Wolves - 40
    5 Dire Wolves - 40

Special: 756
    6 Vargheists - 276
    6 Vargheists - 276
    2 Fell Bats - 32
    2 Fell Bats - 32
    2 Bat Swarms - 70
    2 Bat Swarms - 70

Rare: 450
    Terrorgheist - 225
    Terrorgheist - 225
    Deployment and Tactics:

Spells Confirmed:
    Level 4 Death - Soulblight, Doom and Darkness, The Fate of Bjuna, Purple Sun
    Level 4 Vampires - Invocation of Nehek, Hellish Vigour, Gaze of Nagash, Curse of Years
    Level 2 Beasts - Wyssan's Wildform, Curse of Anraheir
    Level 2 Light - Pha's Protection, Birona's Timewarp
    Level 1 Vampires - Vanhel's Dance Macabre

Tactics:
    Character placement is as follows:
    - Both Vampires in front rank of Ghouls
    - All 3 Necromancers in remaining unit of zombies, deployed 5 wide (General in second rank, closer to my board edge)

This army has several threats that I have to deal with:
    Doom Divers and Spear Chukkas - These keep me from having free reign with my flying death wizard, so need to be dealt with. Unfortunately he has the river on his deployment, making it easier for him to bunker all those war machines. My Reserved units of Vargheists and Fell bats, along with my 2nd unit of Fell bats, will fly up the right flank to immediately threaten. Doom Divers are the top priority, and once those are gone, the Death wizard will fly out of the unit to threaten his large units with Purple Sun, which he has little capability to stop

Black Orcs - Have the potential to mulch pretty much anything in my army. Will cockblock as much as possible with Dire Wolves/Bat Swarms until I can lock them in combat with Zombies and scream them to death.

AHW Orcs - Will engage with buffed ghouls to hopefully munch, attempt a character snipe on any killy characters beforehand.

River Trolls - 2 Words, Purple Sun.

As for deployment, Ghouls deploy on the hill about 14 inches away from enemy battleline with the Zombie bunker behind them, flanked on either side by 1 unit of Bat Swarms and Dire Wolves. 1 unit of Vargheists deploys on the left flank, within General bubble. 1 Terrorgheist deploys behind forest, the other behind ghouls on the opposite side of the general's unit to Vargheists. Zombie unit 2 will be out of the game for at least 2 turns, if I can Vanhel's them into position with spare dice I will.

Magic -
    Variety of Wizards provides choice, not the ability to use it all, however I will dominate the phase. Will Gaze away the Wolf riders, D&D the units the Terrorgheists are focussing on, and bubble Soulblight to nerf the Choppas bonus and reduce to T3. Use buffs from other wizards when appropriate (when I have the dice)

Hopefully I can score points on Wolf riders and War machines, hopefully wearing him down in combat and keeping my units alive through Invocation and preventing Flank charges. Will bring back the war machine hunters to support in combat if necessary.
    Please vote for which list you believe will do the best. Explainations are not required, but are a good idea. The two owners of the list are not allowed to post in their own battle. Please put all voting in either BOLD or UNDERLINE

Good luck!

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

I'm giving it to the Orcs and Goblins since, with two important (anti artillery at least) VC units in reserve, the artillery can focus on removing the remaining threats before going after either the flying wizard (he won't last long) or ghouls and terrogheists. In addition, the VC won't have enough dice to fuel all of the wizards.
    They totally need to put Bagpipers in for the high elves.
    X amount of points- any army with a bagpiper in them wins automatically based on sheer awesomeness.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Well firstly, I think that they might have gotten a tad confused on which direction they're fighting from. It seems they've both deployed their full forces towards the top of the picture, as we view it - which means they'd be about 6" apart. So I can't really comment on deployment, aside from seeing how much terrain is on the table, and noting that at best use, the river will slow the Undead down, and at worst, it's going to chop a good bit of the field off. So there's that. No comments on deployment because everyone was confused!

Seems to me that the 6 VC flying units are going for 9 Warmachines and then adding the Carpet Lord to the motley. I count dead Warmachines on T3, and free reign over the Orcs backsides after that. They Flyers are going to be through the Warmachines before the Orcs can turn to face - if they turn before the charge, they're opening themselves up to rear-charges and I don't think the VC player would be so silly as to pass those up. After the WMs are gone, the Orcs can turn to face, but they're only going to eat a frontal from the Flyers, if the Flyers stay there at all.

The Orcs are outclassed on Magic, and I think that could be huge. Even purple-sun will kill 50% of whatever it touches, on average.

In the trade on Chaff units, I think the VC are going to win out, because the flying chaff is going to be hard to take down and the Orcs have more points to lose in Wolf Riders than the VC will give up with the Bats.

When it comes to bog standard units, I don't think the Orcs have anything that is going to kill the VC Undead Hordes as quickly as the Gheists are killing them, unless the Orcs can cut out the Gheists from the fight and just focus on ripping Ghouls/Zombies. Even a Horde of Orcs with 2xHW is only putting 13.3 wounds on Zombies, average. Plus, Orcs are on the backfoot when considering that yes, they may very well break and haul-buttocks whereas the VC are going to stand there and take it all day long.

I beat him last turn, but I've got to give this fight to The Filth Ridden Coven.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Its a close match, but for me its the Orcs "hold back" -tactics that really make the difference. You see, I don't believe the Orcs have enough shooting power to play it safe and wait here. With the amount of magic the Vampires are packing by the time the Vampire army gets to the other side of the board it has been fully buffed up, probably a couple of key Orc units have gotten demolished and/or debuffed to snotling levels by spells and thus the line can't hold. I believe the Orcs should have played aggressively, but as it is I'll vote for The Filth Ridden Coven.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

The magic and fliers are much more likely to kill the orcs than the bolt throwers are to kill the undead. If Orcs had 9 Dwarf artillery pieces and Dwarf magic defense it would be close, but how it is they can't compete. In turn 4 I envisage all the artillery killed for half the Vamp fast stuff and the Orc BSB dying to Fate of Bjuna.

The Filth-Ridden Coven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Not really much more to add in terms of reasoning. I vote for Filth-Ridden Coven for pretty much all of the reasons listed in the above posts.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

Mostly the same - The Filth-Ridden Coven.

Closed Thread