VW Round 3: Itza Korconqua (The Mighty Host of Itza) vs Lector Alvar Crowell's New Era A - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Round 3: Itza Korconqua (The Mighty Host of Itza) vs Lector Alvar Crowell's New Era A

Round 3

Scenario: Blood And Glory
    Map: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    Top Deployment: CaptainSarathi
    First Turn: Kroxigor

Player: Kroxigor01
    List:
    Spells:
    Slann - Loremaster
    Lvl1 - 2

tza Korconqua (The Mighty Host of Itza)

Kor Tehe Tli-Qu Slann Mage Priest – Level 4, Beasts, Focus of Mystery, Focused Ruminations, Becalming Cogitation, Unfathomable Presence, Cupped Hands of the Old Ones, BSB (Rampager’s Standard) 550

Qutli Skink Priest – Level 1, Heavens, Dispel Scroll 90
    Xili-Gar Scar Veteran – Burning Blade of Chotec, cold one, shield, light armour 138
    Itza-Gar Scar Veteran – Gold Sigil Sword, Ironcurse Icon, cold one, shield, light armour 133
    Loq-Gar Scar Veteran – great weapon, light armour, 96
    Lot-Gar Scar Veteran – great weapon, light armour, 96
    Gor-Gar Scar Veteran – great weapon, light armour, 96
    Boq-Gar Scar Veteran – great weapon, light armour, 96

Skink Skirmishers – 10
    Skink Skirmishers – 10
    Skink Skirmishers – 10
    Saurus Warriors – 20, standard, musician 238
    Saurus Warriors – 26, standard, musician 304

Terradons – 3
    Terradons – 3
    Terradons – 3
    Chameleon Skinks – 5
    Chameleon Skinks – 5
    Chameleon Skinks – 5
    Temple Guard – 20, Standard Bearer (Huanchi’s Blessed Totem) 359

Salamander hunting pack – 1 salamander, 3 skinks
    Salamander hunting pack – 1 salamander, 3 skinks
    Deployment and Tactics:

Skink takes signature.

Terradons and Chameleons will alpha-strike 1st turn. Probable target is Outriders but it obviously depends on how my opponent deploys. Any unit outside BSB range is very vulnerable because I can cause panic in my movement (drop rocks), magic and shooting phase. My army has ~18 S4 drop rocks autohits and 69 24” threat range poison shots. I expect between the damage and the panic both Outriders units will die 1st turn (even if they 'hide' they can't escape the drop rocks and 39 poison shots from my Chameleons and Terradons).

Skinks advance up the flanks to shoot. The so far mentioned units can be used to redirect once their job of killing Outriders/Crossbows is done.

The Salamanders will advance behind the buildings protection and shoot into huge blocks from unchargable positions (peeking around the building or from flank arcs). A Salamander can hit 33 greatswords with a perfect shot, but it more likely to kill ‘only’ 10 on average.

Temple Guard and all characters deploy in centre flanked by Saurus. Slann wants to be 24” from my opponent’s wizard to abuse Becalming Cogitation and Cupped Hands. I’m in no hurry to charge unless I somehow lose the shooting war or my opponent is out of position chasing skirmishers. Deathstar want to use long charge range to catch the WAltar, BSB or Wizard but I doubt my opponent would let that happen (but that does require him to hide a combat bunker and the WAltar instead of fighting).

MAGIC

Early skirmish magic phase will likely be attempting to cast as many spells as possible in this order of importance;
    Wildform - protect temple guard
    Amber Spear – wound Stank or flank shot Knights (my skink priest can run to their flank and my Slann channel the magic missile though his eyes). Sniping the WAltar is unreliable but if it is the only target available so be it.
    Flock of Doom – kill/panic shooters
    Iceshard Blizzard - debuff shooters if they are vulnerable to panic this
    Curse of Anraheir - debuff shooters

Combat magic phase, pick 2 spells and throw all dice at them:
    Impenetrable Pelt – If Deathstar vulnerable (T8 is good)
    Savage Beast of Horros – If Deathstar won’t break current foe in 1 turn, this spell will change that (~40 attacks at S8 is good)
    Wildform – Cast on Deathstar if others are dispelled (S6 and T6 is good to)

Player: CaptainSarathai
    List:

Lector Alvar Crowell's New Era Army
    Here's my entry for the Votewar. Wound up going with Empire in the end. List as follows:

Lords: 604/750
    Lector Alvar Crowell
    Arch Lector
    Shield, War Altar, Armor of Destiny
    @ 304

Alchemister Drogead
    L4 Wizard (lore of Metal)
    Talisman of Preservation, Van Horstman’s Speculum, Channeling Staff
    @ 300

Heroes: 260/750
    Eddard Montach
    Empire Captain, BSB
    Shield, Armor of Fortune, Warrior Bane
    @ 127

Richard Bakter
    Warrior Priest
    Barded Steed, Heavy Armor, Spellshield, Talisman of Endurance
    @ 133

Core: 822/750
    14 Inner Circle Knights
    Full Command, Banner of Flame
    395pts

35 Swordsmen
    w/ Musician, Standardbearer
    @ 265
    Detachment
    18 Crossbowmen

Special: 1061/1500
    39 Greatswords
    w/ Full Command
    18 Crossbowmen

10 Outriders
    w/ Musician
    10 Outriders
    w/ Musician

Rare: 500/750
    "Old Ironsides"
    Steam Tank

2997/3000
    Deployment and Tactics:

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1362247256

Spells: Searing, EnchBlades, GlitRobe, FinalTrans

I'm in for a game of "pop the Slann" as the TG and Slann are literally all that matter here. Outriders in the wood keep him from putting Chameleons with their fancy rules there, STank to keep him from dropping them in the open behind me, I'm ready to clear any in the buildings with XBows (will beat skinks in a fight) and Swordsmen.
    The split deployment forces him to swing towards my left flank to get the general/banners, so I can get around his flanks with Outriders/Knights to hit his TG&Slann

For his magic, I want to stop Pann's > Wyssan's > Curse/Savage (depending on if I'm shooting or stabbing). I don't want him making it harder to kill him with Outriders. 20 Outriders at LongRange 3xMultishot (BS4) should drop ~half his regiment in one volley. I assume he'll deathstar all his characters there, but once the TG are gone, picking off the ScarVets and/or Flanking will Slann into the fighting rank where I’ll load attacks on him.

For the rest: XBows and Searing are on Skink/Terradon/MountedScarVet duty. Glit Robes can help in combat, boosted Aiban for the Outriders shooting. Final Trans ignores Slann’s MR3, Saves and Wards, for an easy win if I have a good phase. I’m certainly not relying on magic though. Wizard eats challenges for the BSB and swaps stats, shouldn't be any trouble there. With 4+ Wards on the WAltar, he doesn't have much that will get an easy kill there outside of combat, so my army just needs to hold it's ground until I can deal with the deathstar.

At first glance I thought this would be a tough game. His downfall is putting 4 breakpoints into 1 regiment. Don't fluff your rolls sir, I'm gunning for you.

Please vote for which list you believe will do the best. Explanations are not required, but are a good idea. The two owners of the list are not allowed to post in their own battle. Please put all voting in either BOLD or UNDERLINE

Good luck!

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Kroxigor getting first turn will be telling in this battle IMO. This gives him first shot at clearing chaff/shooters and also getting some magic protection up to hinder the Empire return salvo. It looks like he should be able to get the Empire wizard into the Becalming bubble and thus hamper the Empire magic phase. Once most of the chaff is cleared it will be fairly even in VP's so someone is going to have to take out something else to win(I don't think either army will Break, just a feeling). I think the Lizards have a slight advantage in this case due to a better magic phase and probably having a unit or two of chaff left after that mini chaff battle is over. So, in the end, I think that The Mighty Host of Itza grabs a small victory based on VP's.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

I think if it comes to VPs its almost impossible to say which one will will. Lizards have an advantage in shooting and intend to use it but I can't see them destroying any of the big point value ones by shooting alone and they are content on playing a waiting game which doesn't really do them favors for purposes of breaking the Empire army.

Empire, on the other hand, are pretty much betting everything on one card which is to destroy the biggest and baddest block the Lizards have. Surprisingly enough the Lizards pretty much put this block right where the Empire wanted it which is in the middle of everything. If Empire is willing to sacrifice a huge number of points (and his tactics indicate he is) and throw everything against the Temple Guard block I think he has the chance of destroying the unit and winning the game in one fell sweep. Lizards tactics do not give them a similar option.

Thus, with heavy heart (as Empire is an old enemy of mine and I have soft spot for Lizards) I have to vote for the New Era Army.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

I'm going to go for New Era Army since the big green block ended up almost exactly where Captain Sarathai wanted it. It's going to take one bad roll for the lizards and they are done. Since I don't like risking everything on one roll, I'm going with the empire.
    They totally need to put Bagpipers in for the high elves.
    X amount of points- any army with a bagpiper in them wins automatically based on sheer awesomeness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

I think The Mighty Host of Itza will grab it simply due to his ability to stay on the flanks and whittle down the new era armies blocks as well as getting rid of his outriders off the bat. salamanders will be hard for CaptainSarathai to get rid of simply due to the fact that his shooting (outriders, stank and x bows) will either be destroyed due to skinks and will have a hard time killing the manders who will devastate his low T low armour blocks of infantry. ive seen salamanders in action and they are very hard to pin down due to their mobility. once the captains mobile units are down kroxigors army will run circles around it.... now if captains army went first it might be different but as I see it The Mighty Host of Itza with the win .

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

If it comes to VPs I think the Lizards have a slight edge. Maybe 60 - 40. But, the Lizards can lose the whole game on a single bad roll if the Temple Guards get toasted... and a single bad roll can very well be the Slann miscasting himself and half the TG into oblivion while trying to buff them. The longer the Lizards have to use their magic for self-defence the bigger the chances of self-immolation are. New Era Army can afford to lose a unit or two and it really doesn't matter. Thus, I'm staying with my vote.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

Really hard to tell, but for me Itza Korconqua takes the win. Due to the fact, that Captain came up with a good way to win the game by using Knights and Outriders, but Kroxigor came up with a way to kill Outriders first - and the Knights won't kill Temple Guard alone. What's happening next is anyone's guess, but I'm going with Lizards this time.

Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x2)

This is a tough one to call. The Lizards may have the edge with the way he can nerf the Empire Magic phase with Becalming Cogitation, that and the first bad miscast the Slann has will most likely be getting given to the Wizard Lord. That and the Temple Guard will mulch anything they come into contact with. Also, everyone seems to have forgotten you deploy 15" on with 9" taken off the sides of your deployment in Blood and Glory. The Deathstar is closer to the Empire, as are the first turn shooting units that have the ability to kill off the outriders. I'm going to have to give it to the Lizardmen on this occasion.

Closed Thread