<1000 1k Dragonmage experimental list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x2)

1k Dragonmage experimental list

Just a quick list I threw together since I read/liked the fluff of the dragonmage, and had a look around for some tactics on it and thought it could be handy, what do you think?

Dragonmage - upgrade, dragon armour, enchanted shield - 400

5 ellyrian reavers - xx

5 ellyrian reavers - xx

15 Spearmen - Standard - 145

15 White Lions - Standard - 205

2 Great Eagles - xxx

Total = 1010.

Reavers & Eagles clear war machines (if any) and re-direct, white lions kill elite units, spearmen take on units weakened by magic and are buffed by the dragonmage, dragon can also be thrown into combat here.

Dragonmage himself I planned to use as follows - turn 1 fly forward and cast spells at warmachines/missile troops, turn 2 spells + breath weapon buffed by flaming sword (would've had gem of sunfire but had to cut it to save points), turn 3 onwards he's still casting spells but also acting as combat support if needed (only if it's certain victory when charging in though).

- An alternative list I made was going to be more defensive, with 2 bolt throwers instead of 2 eagles, and only 1 unit of reavers. In that list he's still functioning in a similar way as a magic/close range harrasser and combat support except the enemy comes to me & get's shot. Reavers and bolt throwers take out enemy artillery. My only fear for both lists is I just don't have enough combat infantry...

Dragonmages aren't the most competitive choices I know but if it's possible to make a good list with them then I'd really appreciate your help!

anyway, thoughts?

Last edited by Blackadder; January 10th, 2015 at 20:45.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

I would drop the reavers as the Eagles will do the job better. With the spare pts increase the spearman to fill core then if any more lions.
    Upon wings of iron they fall upon the foe

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I would drop the reavers as the Eagles will do the job better. With the spare pts increase the spearman to fill core then if any more lions.
    I've mixed feelings about eagles tbh, as in my experience of using them in that way they're almost always killed before they even make it to combat and with no save and only a moderate toughness that's not difficult to achieve - a cannon usually 1 shots them, an organ gun minces them, or if either of those fail then a unit of missile troops finishes them off. In fairness the same happens to units of reavers, but at least there's more of them in terms of wounds and they have the fast cavalry rule (and so have a vanguard move), which puts them closer to war machines and so makes them endure 1 less shooting phase. Maybe the dragon will act as a distraction though allowing them to charge (and even if it doesn't, their sacrifice might give it enough time to charge a warmachine on it's own).

All that said I think dropping down to only 2 or 3 chaff/warmachine hunters is probably the right way to go, if only so I can get more combat troops. I forgot to mention that I usually play against my friend who has a number of different armies, namely Dwarves (the worst match-up), Skaven, Bretonnia & Lizardmen - in each one of these I'd expect at least 3 units of melee troops so I need to be able to counter them (or at least stop them from being able to flank my own units).

What do you think of the following?
    Dragonmage - upgrade, dragon armour, enchanted shield - 400

5 ellyrian reavers - xx

20 Spearmen - Standard - 190

2 Great Eagles - xxx

Total = 975.

With the remaining 25pts I was going to buy some stuff to toughen the dragonmage up to warmachine stuff, with the Ironcurse Icon, Golden Crown & charmed shield, or maybe buy some upgrades for the eagles like ASF and armour piercing... quick question on those magic items incidentally, the golden crown and charmed shield - do they protect the dragon as well or just the wizard?

I also went and made a more defensive list too, what do you think of this one? Better or worse than the above?

Dragonmage - as above

20 Sea Guard - Shields & Banner - 250

15 White Lions - Banner - 205

2 Bolt Throwers - 140

- 995 in total. Similar battleplan in terms of the dragon, but it waits to fly off until the enemy warmachines are killed by the bolt throwers first.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Bolt throwers are not great vs war machines as wounding on 5s is no good. The list with 25pts left over is the best in my mind.
    The last 25 pts could go on a scroll or the dawn stone to re-roll the armour of the Mage.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

95 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Bolt throwers are not great vs war machines as wounding on 5s is no good. The list with 25pts left over is the best in my mind.
    The last 25 pts could go on a scroll or the dawn stone to re-roll the armour of the Mage.
    Well they could be buffed with the Flaming Sword of Ruin spell to wound on 4, but that requires me to get the spell off consistently, and for them to hit consistently as well (I'm assuming you're going off them using the 1 shot, higher strength version yes?) All that's not factoring in the potential for there being hard cover in the case of dwaf artillery due to engineers too, so perhaps you're right on that one.

Final list is therefore the following:

Dragonmage - upgrade, dragon armour, charmed shield (because it's basically an extra wound provided I pass the 2+ ward), Ironcurse Icon, Khaine's Ring of Fury - 430

5 ellyrian reavers - xx

20 Spearmen - Standard - 190

2 Great Eagles - xxx

Total - 1005.

I've made a few changes to the dragon's equipment, namely a charmed shield (which if I'm lucky with eat the first cannon-ball fired at it) as well as the ironcurse icon for a wardsave against warmachines and the ring of fury for an easy way to get a better wardsave vs war machines. I had initially thought of the dawnstone, which against an organ gun I believe would put both the mage and dragon's save up to 6, in which case I'd get essentially 3 rolls (armour, armour, ward) on the rider and 2 rolls on the dragon, but I instead went for more damage output as I think that'd be better against other armies besides dwarves. I'll probably experiment with spending those last few points to be honest, swapping them for eagle upgrades etc, but we'll see.

What do you think?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

It's better. You will have to drop 5pts to make the list legal.
    Drop the icon as it is only giving the dragon a 6+ ward and the Mage has a 6+ from the armour.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

Hi Going to weigh in here i like the concept and at 1000pts could be quite effective. I am with Lucas drop reavers completely or the eagles though at this points level they should be more than capable.

you need at least 25 spears even at this level and try to get to 18 with the white lions 6X3.

The only thing i would say is you will likely always be outnumbered you you will need the mage to pull his weight i would stick with enchanted shield and maybe sword of might. Thing with chamed shield its first hit not wound so you will lose that early on, where as a 2+ armour save will serve you better and in truth thats all you need i would plough all remaining points into your units 25-30 spears and 18-24 white lions and asf for the eagles.

+ Reply to Thread