<3000 Help 1000-1500-2000-2500 High Elves Army Friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help 1000-1500-2000-2500 High Elves Army Friendly

Hi Eeveryone, i just fall in love again with warhammer after like 10 years,
    so im looking forward to build an High Elves army. ill play vs few friends,
    who are playing orcs, empire, skaven, maybe some dwarves.

my goal is to build that army both using the models i already have and building it
    in a some kind of a progressive way: ex, assuming im buying models to switch from
    1000 points to 1500, those models will be in 2000 and then in 2500 points army (which is my final goal).
    in other words, im starting from what i have to slowly put pieces togheter (ex, to go from 1000 points to 1500,
    ill just have to buy a box of dragon princes and another eagle). this is a necessity because i cant afford to buy
    everything i need at a single time, and still have to buy paintings..

I dont want a full-in-meta / only op units / one strategy army, i want a versatile one, since im
    facing aggressive armies (orcs) and really defensive armies (the guy who plays both skaven and empire
    has two really good armies, both artillery/magic focused): so i need a little of cavalry, some badass guys like swordmasters or lions, a little of magic..
    I dont care too much if the 1k and 1.5k armies are not really good, but im looking to have a funny and balanced 2k-2.5k army.

I read the guide on the forum, so im aware that some unit im gonna play are not so good compared to others:
    white lions are better than swordmasters, silver helms are better than dragon princes beacuse they are core,
    and probably playing only 24 spears per unit (or 18-24 swordmaster per unit) on 2000+ points is not the way to do..
    btw, any advice is accepted, since im pretty rusty and im not playing from 2005 or so:
    im just worried to waste money building a crappy, not funny, nonsense army.

Units i already have and i want to use:
    16 Archers full command
    15 Spear fc
    13 swormasters of hoet fc
    2 bolt throwers
    1 mage (foot)
    1 noble at horse (not a model i like, so using him till something better comes)

1000 point
    Mage lvl 2 + talisman of endurance 150
    14 archer + musician 150
    15 spearmen + champ + musician 155
    5 ellyrian reavers with bows and spears + musician 105
    13 swordmaster + full command + banner of the world dragon 249
    2 bolt throwers 140
    1 great eagle 50

mage lvl 2 + talisman of preservation 165
    noble bsb + barded steed + dragon armour+ Star lance, golden crown, charmed shield 165
    16 archer + musician 170
    15 spearmen + champ + musician 155
    13 swordmaster + full command + banner of world dragon 249
    5 dragon princes + full command + razor standard (bsb in here) 220
    2 bolt throwers 140
    2 great eagles + swiftsense + shredding talons 130

2000 A
    Archmage lvl 4, high magic, + book of hoeth + talisman preservation 320
    noble bsb + barded steed + dragon armour+ Star lance, golden crown, charmed shield 165
    14 archers + musician 150
    24 spearmen + full command + banner of swiftness 261
    18 swordmaster + champion + musician 256
    18 white lions + full command + banner of world dragon 314
    5 dragon princes + full command + lichebone banner (bsb in here) 190
    2 bolt throwers 140
    2 great eagles (no upgrades) 100

2000 B
    16 archers + musician 170
    24 spearmen + champion + musician 236
    24 swordmasters + full command + wailing banner 392
    9 dragon princes + full command + banner of world dragon (bsb in here) 341
    2 bolt throwers 140
    2 great eagles + swiftsense + shredding talons 130

2500 A
    Mage lvl 2 (death, shadow or fire lore i guess, not sure) + dispel scroll 145

24 spearmen + full command + Gleaming Pennant 251
    5 ellyrian reavers with bows and spears + musician (2 units of reavers) 105

24 swordmaster + champion + Musician 332
    20 white lions + full command + Lichebone banner 305
    9 Dragon Princes + full command + banner of world dragon (bsb in here) 341

2 bolt throwers 140
    2 great eagles + swiftsense 120

2500 B
    Mage lvl 2 (death, shadow or fire lore i guess, not sure) 145

24 spearmen + full command + Gleaming Pennant 251
    5 ellyrian reavers with bows and spears + musician (2 units of reavers) 105

18 swordmasters + champion + musician 254
    18 white lions + champion + musician 254
    14 dragon princes + full command + banner of world dragon (bsb in here) 486

2 bolt throwers 140
    2 great eagles (no upgrades) 100

Finally, for those of you still not bored to death, few questions:
    -should i place mage/archmage with archers or with other unit?
    -if i have 9 dragon princes and noble with them and champion (5x2), a charge does 22 + 10 from horses?
    -same thing, if i have 18 swordmasters and champion in them (6x3), a charge does 25 hits?
    -is it worth to upgrade eagles? (i only know that depends on the way i use them, and vs dwarves machines is useful to have talons)

Thanks for reading, sorry for not perfect english and have a good day to all of you <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Hi! I saw your thread in the Intro section, so I guess this answers my question about which army you play.

For starters, your army looks pretty solid, and as long as none of your friends try to push the issue, you should all have pretty fun and balanced games. Orcs are never going to be a very powerful army, no matter how hard they try. Empire can be pretty tough though, and Dwarfs can be downright awful to play against if your opponent decided to build a "gun line" army with nothing but shooting.
    The guide really only exists so that people have a rough idea of how to improve their army if needed, or what to take in to tournament games.

In regards to your actual lists:

1) Shooting and Swordmaster are actually stronger in smaller games, so you've done well there, you're off to a good start.

2) You already know, but your next Noble Standard Bearer should be on foot, not mounted. He needs to stay near the majority of your troops, and most of your army is on foot. Standards die if they flee, so you don't want him in a small/cheap unit that risks losing combat. The Dragon Princes would appreciate having a character with a magical sword, a halberd or great weapon in their midst, just for extra attacks on turns when they haven't charged and aren't getting their +2S from lances, but for the cost, you're better off just switching to Silver Helms and/or getting more models into the unit.

3) in bigger games, you can put the Noble into your Swordmasters. Give him Dragon Armor, the Crown of Command, and Shield of the Merwyrm for starters. He'll make your Swordmasters Stubborn like the White Lions, and he'll have a 4+ "Ward" against almost anything that can target him in combat, and a 2+ Look Out Sir against anything outside of combat.

4) the Dragon Princes don't need the Banner of the World Dragon. They're fast enough to get in combat early and avoid most Magic Missiles. Lore of Metal is flaming, so they already have a 2+ Ward against the scariest of damage spells. If you're still worried, give them the LicheBone Pennant, because Magic Resistance stacks with the Ward they get from Dragon Armor. They'll have a 5+ against spells.
    Put the Banner of the World Dragon on your White Lions or on your Swordmasters.
    In earlier lists, you have the Razor Banner on the Dragon Princes. That might also be a little much, because they already get S5 on the charge for -2 Armor. Having Armor Piercing on S3 is sort of worthless. Dragon Princes should only charge the enemy if they can break them in the first round, otherwise, they'll get stuck and die.

5) If you're ever unsure of what Lore to take for a Caster, go with Lore of Shadows. Miasma is a great spell all around. Enfeebling is great for making our T3 matter less. Withering and Razor make our S3 Bows and Spears very scary to the enemy.
    If you're a Level 4, Lore of Life can also be good. Lower level casters don't really get enough spells to make it useful, since you're hoping that one spell is Throne of Vines. Regrowth is very powerful for any army with high points cost models. If you raise back 6 White Lions, that's 78pts you've just gotten back into your army - that's quite a lot for a single spell. Dwellers Below is also one of the most feared spells in the game, and with Book of Hoeth, it's not hard for Elves to cast.

Other than those things, and the stuff you've already seen in the guide about unit sizes and so forth, your lists seem to be pretty regular, they'll do fine on the table.

As for answering your questions:

Your Wizard could stand with the Archers and be safely out of range, yes. Other people like to put their Wizard in the unit with the Dragon banner, because the 2+ Ward also works on Miscast damage. A final trick is to put your wizard into a unit of Shadow Warriors. You can't Scout them, but they Skirmish, so you can put them behind the lines, still get some shooting, still get a Look Out Sir, and have a lot of mobility for your wizard to go wherever you need him most.

When your Dragon Princes charge, you get full attacks for the front rank, 1 attack each for the second rank. The horses in the second row do not get to make Supporting Attacks. This is true even for Monstrous Cavalry like the Empire Demkgryphs. Models in the front of any unit get to make their full attacks, and models in the second and third rank get to make only a single Supporting Attack.

I see no reason not to upgrade your Eagles for Always Strikes First at the very least. Many people use Eagles to redirect enemy chargers or use them as sacrificial units. The way I see it, for just 35pts more, you can out a unit of Reavers on the field, and they count towards Core. If you have Eagles, they should have a job. Against Dwarfs, that job is to go after Warmachines. Against other armies, you'll use them to attack Wizards (as long as they don't have a Ward, 1-2 Eagles can kill a low-level Wizard even if he's in a unit), or you'll use them to attack small enemy units like Wolf Riders or Dire Wolves.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you so much for the answer, that really helps!

sure ill send my Bsb with swordmasters or Lions, unless i decide to go 14 DP to have a massive hammer in the middle of the table;
    i'm not going to give up DP anyway, i think that even 5 of the with no command group can work as heavy chaff, the enemy has to take care of them or theyre going to be a real threath.

probably sending Bsb and one mage with the world dragon banner unit is the best thing to do in my case.

i'm going to upgrade Eagles with talons only if really needed (armored servants or so), and agree, thats the only upgrade that can be useful.

right now in going about 16 archers, 5 reavers and 25 Spears as core for my 2000 points army, think is not very solid (as 500 points of helms+Spears would be) but offers a variety of interesting options during the game.

i'm just wondering about few things:

-whats the best Lore of magic for nuke? i love metal vs heavy armor, High magic soul quench can be good vs warmachines and heavy targets as well but not at turn 1 (18"range), Fire seems a little boring and empireum not so reliable..

-when is better to take a single archmage or archmage and lvl 2 mage? that second mage could be useful as nuker while Shadow archmage do his hex/augmentation job, but he also cost around 130pnts, which is 10 SM or WL.

-vs both skaven and empire in going to play vs lot of cannons and mages.

empire is kinda:
    18 rifles
    10+10 knights
    3 mages
    General
    2 cannons
    s tank
    and some skirmisher, light cavalry, other warmachines

skaven Will be:
    bell and mage
    some other mage
    3 warp cannons
    15-18 jezails
    20+20+20 clan rats

assuming that, any tips?
    i dont want to outplay my buddy with a full counter list (i dont even think its possible) but i dont want to get wrecked at turn two.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I'm not going to give up DP anyway, i think that even 5 of the with no command group can work as heavy chaff, the enemy has to take care of them or theyre going to be a real threath.
    Princes don't make a particularly great hammer up the middle. They're a 1-shot, if they hit and don't kill it on the charge, they're just T3/S3 Elves and horses. In my Empire list, I use knights as a hammer because they're my best option in the role, but I have the advantage that they're cheap, Core, S4, armed with great weapons, and my most expensive melee Lord tops out at 110pts (with a horse and 2+ save included).

Princes may not be MUCH more expensive than Silver Helms, but you have to count the fact that any Silvers you take are also filling in your Core requirements. Princes are also worth less when you put them into ranks, because models in the back ranks only get 1A each. So you're paying for 2A, rolling 1A, where Silvers are paying for 1, rolling 1.

probably sending Bsb and one mage with the world dragon banner unit is the best thing to do in my case.

right now in going about 16 archers, 5 reavers and 25 Spears as core for my 2000 points army, think is not very solid (as 500 points of helms+Spears would be) but offers a variety of interesting options during the game.
    You already know - the ideal for Spears would be around 30+. Reavers are doing the same thing as your Eagles, really, they're just a bit more expensive and count towards Core. I've never been a huge fan of Archers, but others swear by them.

whats the best Lore of magic for nuke? i love metal vs heavy armor, High magic soul quench can be good vs warmachines and heavy targets as well but not at turn 1 (18"range), Fire seems a little boring and empireum not so reliable
    Nuke? You mean for doing a ton of damage in one hit? That's not really a great way to look for a Lore, because remember, you roll spells randomly. I'd say that the most damaging spells available to Elves are:
    > Dwellers Below
    > Final Transmutation (kills 1/3 of whatever it hits)
    > Purple Sun of Xerxeus (another "save or die" effect, but doesn't hit whole units, and can hurt your own)
    > Comet of Casandora (won't kill a whole unit, but can cripple an army by dealing reasonable damage to several units - also controls movement, to an extent)
    > Anything which hits an entire unit, such as Flame Cage, or Flames of the Phoenix.

The problem is that most of those spells are tucked into Lores which don't offer many other damage options, so if you don't roll up the spell that you want, you've potentially "wasted" a caster. I really like Lore of Fire for straight damage, combined with the Ring of Fury for an extra Fireball. The free +D3 for having hit a target with Lore of Fire already, can offset the Casting Bonus of a lower-level wizard, and draw out more Dispel Dice than an opponent might expect.

when is better to take a single archmage or archmage and lvl 2 mage? that second mage could be useful as nuker while Shadow archmage do his hex/augmentation job, but he also cost around 130pnts, which is 10 SM or WL
    Or about 11 Archers, or a Bolt Thrower, 2 Chariots, 3 Eagles, 5 Dragon Princes...
    Plus, that second Wizard is going to chew up dice from your higher level Archmage. Especially when you have to make up that lower casting bonus. Unless you have a plan that you can use a Signature spell, I wouldn't bother with a second Mage.

vs both skaven and empire in going to play vs lot of cannons and mages.
    Eww... they're going GunLine on you? I would expect that from the Dwarfs, but Empire and Skaven can play a more aggressive game. Its especially cringe-worthy when you consider that
    A. it's a very boring style for both people at the table
    B. it's the one playstyle that Elves can't really handle.
    I wouldn't really suggest "tailoring" a list against your friends, because then you're all locked in to a sort of cycle, nobody can change their list without losing. But I would try to talk to them out of taking armies which focus so heavily on the shooting phase. If they still won't budge, then start looking for counters. All three of those armies have a lot of "move-or-shoot" choices, so taking Scouts would work really well, as would filling out much of your Core with a screen of Reavers to tie up their shooting until you can roll up with your melee units - because most gunlines (except Dwarfs) will fall apart as soon as you get into combat with them.

+ Reply to Thread