<2000 1000 Pt SM army, looking for tactics and points advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 Pt SM army, looking for tactics and points advice

Hey everyone, so I have a string of games coming up and although I don't know who or what I am going to be facing I figured I would post my work in progress and see if you sages had any advice

Quick note- I only have 1 rhino and 1 drop pod, the game isn't for a few weeks so I could possible scoop up another but would prefer not to if possible

Captain-175Points
    Bike
    Artificer Armor
    Storm Shield
    Thunderhammer

Dreadnought- 145 Points
    Drop Pod
    Multimelta
    Powerfist
    Heavy Flamer

Tactical Squad- 185 Points
    9 Tactical Marines
    1 Tactical Sergeant
    Melta Gun
    Rhino

Scout Squad- 105 Points
    6 Scouts
    1 Scout Sergeant
    1 Heavy Bolter
    6 Sniper Rifles
    7 Camo Cloaks

Bike Squad- 78 Points
    2 Bikers
    1 Biker Sergeant
    2 Flamers
    1 Melta Bombs

Assault Marine Squad- 115 Points
    4 Assault Marine
    1 Assault Marine Sergeant
    5 Jump Packs
    1 Melta Bombs
    2 Flamers
    1 Power Maul

Landspeeder- 50 Points
    2 Heavy Bolters

Devastator Squad- 130 Points
    4 Devastator Marines
    1 Devastator Sergeant
    4 Missile Launchers

This leaves me with about 17 points to mess around with, as to where those would best go I am not sure. A few options I am considering are:

1) Scrap the landspeeder altogether and maybe use those points towards like 2 extra bikers and an extra assault marine?

2) Swap the captain for a librarian, I don't really know at all what I will be facing so having something in the Psychic phase might not hurt.

3) Although I have the models I have never used my bike mounted command squad and am curious if it's ever a worthwhile endeavor? They're using magnets so they can be a foot squad as well but I haven't ever thought of them as worthwhile on foot.

4) Maybe finding a way to get Telion in there if possible? I've used him a few times before and had some success but since my chapter is of my own creation I can pick any chapter tactics I want although I am unsure what would work best?

5) Armorium Cherub on the devastator squad? Unsure if it's worth the 5 points?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Comments in blue mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by AidenPearce View Post

Captain-175Points
    Bike
    Artificer Armor
    Storm Shield
    Thunderhammer

Never a Bad build.

Dreadnought- 145 Points
    Drop Pod
    Multimelta
    Powerfist
    Heavy Flamer

Another safe bet Always good when drop podding down with other things, alone he might not last long but at least he will provide a distraction
    Tactical Squad- 185 Points
    9 Tactical Marines
    1 Tactical Sergeant
    Melta Gun
    Rhino

Maybe gives these some more love? These will be your main forward objective grabbers. I'd grab a Combi weapon at the very least and swap the melta over for a Plasma gun. This way they can plink away at things as they advance.

Scout Squad- 105 Points
    6 Scouts
    1 Scout Sergeant
    1 Heavy Bolter
    6 Sniper Rifles
    7 Camo Cloaks

Maybe drop one model for points if needed?

Bike Squad- 78 Points
    2 Bikers
    1 Biker Sergeant
    2 Flamers
    1 Melta Bombs

A command squad would be nasty but at 1000pts it's a huge points investment. I'd pump them up to 5 models and swap the flamers for 2 Grav Guns and then take a Combi-grav as well. This will give you something to deal with Wraith Knights and other MC and GMC. Grav is marines only decent/reliable way of dealing with wraithknight/riptide spam.

Assault Marine Squad- 115 Points
    4 Assault Marine
    1 Assault Marine Sergeant
    5 Jump Packs
    1 Melta Bombs
    2 Flamers
    1 Power Maul

A nice little terror unit. I probably wouldn't worry about the Power Maul though - Use the points for more models/gear.

Landspeeder- 50 Points
    2 Heavy Bolters

Devastator Squad- 130 Points
    4 Devastator Marines
    1 Devastator Sergeant
    4 Missile Launchers

130pts for 3 missile launchers is a fair bit. Maybe a Predator or something? Or at least something to distract anti-Tank weapons away from the Rhino/Dread. Vindicators are always scary but the Autocannon Predator with 2 Lascannons are always reliable.... except when fighting an infantry army.
    Armourium Cherubs are decent enough but I'll use them when drop podding Devastators in the Annihilation force formation. 4 Multi Meltas re-rolling to miss (plus a combi-Melta) is usually enough to melt most vehicles, including Knights if you're lucky, off the table.

Over all the army has lots of little units that can deal with most situations but the units lack teeth. If someone brings a Few Riptides and/or the new GC Tau thing or 2 Wraith Knights you're going to have a pretty bad day. But then you're not going to a tournament are you? So you probably wont be facing nasty lists like those.......... hopefully.

+ Reply to Thread