<2000 Balanced 2,000 point list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Balanced 2,000 point list

So I've been looking through the new lizardmen book over the last couple of days trying to come up with a nice balanced list that has lots of utility.

This is what I've come up with

Lords: 20,75%
    Slann (General and BSB ) - [415 points]
    - Battle standard with banner of eternal flame
    - Wandering deliberations
    - Harmonic convergence
    - Channeling staff
    - Ironcurse Icon (just had 5 spare points)

Loremaster of high magic is probably better than having all the signature spells in the long run, but I like having access to a variety of spells that can respectively buff my army, hex my opponent's, blast his chaff and snipe his characters. The combo between harmonic convergence and channeling staff should hopefully add the power dice and dispel dice I need to dominate the magic phase.

Heroes: 22,3%
    Scar Veteran - [356 points]
    - Warrior bane
    - Charmed shield
    - Dawnstone
    - The other trickter's shard
    - Mounted on a Carnosaur

Melee killing machine, enough said.

Skink priest [90 points]
    - Level 1 of beasts
    - dispel scroll

This guy will run around the back lines of my army creating a "magic network" with my slann so I can cast spells in whatever direction I need and wherever I need. He has lore of beasts so that he can cast a secondary Wyssan's wildform if needed and a dispel scroll since the Slann already has an arcane item.

Core: 25,0%
    30 Saurus [360 points]
    - Full command (I only added a champion since I needed 10 points to reach the 25% core minimum)
    - Spears

Standard anvil block that becomes combat monsters if buffed with Wyssan's wildform.

10 Skink skirmishers [xx points]

10 Skink skirmishers [xx points]

Chaff, redirectors, harassers and skink priest bunker

Special: 27,75%
    20 Temple Guard [315 points]
    - Standard bearer with standard of discipline
    - Musician

Slann bunker and main combat block of my army. The reason why my Slann has BoEF and templeguard have the SoD is because if I face fire resistant enemies (like dragon princes) my slann can leave (or switch places with my skink priest using smoke and mirrors from lore of shadow) so that my temple guard remains combat effective.

3 Ripperdactyls [xxx points]

3 Ripperdactyls [xxx points]

Chaff and war machine hunters. While they are very fragile they still have amazing damage output if up against their "toad target". Given Wyssan's they absolutely tear other units to pieces.

Each model has a rider attack + 4-6 ripper attacks + 1 stomp (reroll to hit, armour piercing and killing blow)? Ouch!

Rare: 4,2%
    Salamander [84 points]
    - extra handlers

Probably not as good as they once were (the reason why I only got one) but still a nice addition to the army for taking out large enemy blocks.

Total: 2000 points

I personally think the list has a bit of everything. All in all a reasonably mobile army with a strong magic phase, a bit of shooting and plenty of combat prowess.

Any thoughts on the list? What would you have changed? Comments and criticism most welcome!

Last edited by Vezzax; August 16th, 2013 at 22:25.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there,
    It looks pretty sound to me, nothing out of the ordinary, should work well against most basic armies if played well
    Only things I Might say is that's think your core choices don't add up to the required 500points by about 40. There might not be enough "threat" being only two main units and a carno, skinks will likely be ignored unless in something's face. I think you will surprised at how squishy a carno is, and trust me he will get a spanking from range ASAP. It might be worth throwing the vet in with the warriors to pump them up, give him some magic res to protect the unit, and replace the carno with an equally destructive unit that can take a few punches, such as an ancient stag with sharp horns or a pair of bastiladons, their AOE attacks at close range together can add up a nice body count, they aren't a key target and are tough enough to hold a decent sized unit, not to mention they still have thunder stomps, 2 st4 and a st10 attack each, more bang for buck and safer units.
    Also if I was you I would go for one spell lore, getting a big punch spell might prove more useful than a handful of small easy to dispel ones. If you want some missiles to fire out of a skink I often buy him the ruby ring of ruin, you get yourself a cheap (cast on one dice) flaming missile.

Hope this all helps

Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x2)

His Core is fine, Skirmishers are more expensive than Cohorts by 1 Skavenslave each, so it's dead on. As for the Carnosaur, I'd instead exchange him for 2 Scar Vets on Cold Ones, with Light armour, Great Weapons, one with Dragonhelm, the other with the Steg Helm, and 6 more Temple Guard. It's 2 points under what you would be paying for the Carno, and whilst you lose the Thunderstomp and the Monster, you gain 2 separate characters who can hide in the saurus/temple guard blocks, jump out to redirect, kill off enemy chaff/war machines, provide excellent methods of drawing fire away from blocks, and can be used to bring some proper armour breaking/monster popping strength to your units. Str5 is fine, but it doesn't crack 1+ saves so hot, whereas Str7 drops it to a 5+, which is a massive difference. They are also Cavalry, so can't be stomped/thunderstomped. That and 6 more Temple Guard is never a bad thing, right?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah you are right sorry didn't pay attention to the skirmisher
    I've actually just started to use vets on cold ones, they are ace, for the cost of a vet/carno you can get a nice 8 man block of cold one riders + vet for some seriously narly attacks, and yes their saves rock, carno boy has very little in the way of protection other than try to kill the opponent ASAP, which doesn't always go well being slow and all. Otherwise still a good list.

+ Reply to Thread