>3000 2500 Point Cassual Play Lizardmen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500 Point Cassual Play Lizardmen

I'm returning to Fantasy after a several year break playing 40K like there's no tomorrow. I'm new to Lizardmen, but I know relatively how they play. I had some professional help building this list, but I want more opinions. I haven't had any games yet, but here's my list. Note that this list is more for playing against people at my local store rather than tournaments.

Lords: 17.8%

Slann Mage-Priest: 445 points
    -Becalming Cogitation
    -Harmonic Convergence
    -Focus of Mystery
    -Channeling Staff
    -Battle Standard Bearer
    -Standard of Discipline

This guy is meant to act as the anchor to my army. Being my general and BSB along with being a level 4 caster, he's kinda my main man, I mean toad. The Standard of Discipline makes him Leadership 10. Leadership 10 with Cold Blooded? Count me in. The Becalming Cogitation helps me hamper my enemy magic, while Harmonic Convergence coupled with the Channeling Staff might give me some extra dice to help me dominate the magic phase. Plus, Loremaster of High Magic isn't bad, especially considering I will always have Hand of Glory to help buff my sluggish Saurus.

Heroes: 6.2%

Skink Priest: 90 points
    -Dispel Scroll

Skink Priest: 65 points

These two are going to take the Lore of Beasts. ​These guys are meant to buff my Saurus units along with fill my requirement for a Skink Character to restrain my Saurus. They are also useful for allowing my Slann to gain threat range with his magic missile and direct damage spells. and, of course, one of these dudes acts as my Scroll caddy.

Core: 28.4%

50 Saurus Warriors: 570 points
    -Musician and Standard
    -Spears

My big block. This thing is just meant to be a blender when up against other enemy units, especially considering Predatory Fighter.

10 Skink Skirmishers: 70 points

10 Skink Skirmishers: 70 points

These units are meant to act as bunkers for my Skink Priests, and can use their shooting to whether down targets for the Saurus assaults. In desperate situations they can also be used as chaf.

Special: 26.9%36 Temple Guard: 524
    -Musician and Standard

This is my second block, also a good blender and a bunker for the Slann. While i don't really want my Slann in combat, considering my Skink Priests would hate it more, and the fact that I can send my damaging spells through them, it isn't really that bad.

Bastiladon: 150
    -Solar Engine

This is meant to be a buffer for my Saurus as long as mobile "artillery" with its Beam of Chotec.

Rare: 20.7%

Ancient Stegadon: 300
    -Sharpened Horns
    -Engine of the Gods

This is also a Saurus buffer and also my counter to other monsters. The 6++ save it gives to units means that my Saurus basically have their parry save. The Sharpened Horns make this thing deadly on the charge against multi-wound models.

Troglodon: 215
    -Divining Rod

My final buffer for my Saurus unit. The Primeval Roar turns my Saurus blenders into blenders on steroids, though only for one turn. Plus the Divining rod means that I have a better chance of getting a few extra dice to help me dominate the magic phase and hamper my opponent's magic phase. And its Spit Venom isn't a bad shooting attack. Plus, like my Skink Priest, I can sent my damaging spells through him to gain threat range.

Total it comes to 2499. I have been thinking of possibly putting one of the Skink Priests to instead ride the Ancient Stegadon, allowing me to remove one of the Skink Skirmisher units, though I do not know what I would use the 70 points for.

Any and all comments welcome.

Last edited by stolen76; August 29th, 2013 at 22:41.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still learning fantasy but I like this list. I will have to steal it and tweak it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's great for a skink priest to be able to cast W. Wildform onto a saurus warrior or temple guard unit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I really like your list. I would keep the Priest off the stegga, as he will have less protection on the stegga than in your skinks unit and until the FAQ is released, he's a sitting duck up there wearing a bright red target painted on his back.

For 70 points you could land 2x swarm units and make that 50-strong saurus unit have poison by having the swarm in combat at the same time. Even nastier. 5's and 6's PF and 6's are poisoned. lol.

On a side note, try to make sure you land Hand of Glory before you roar. Bait his dispel dice into other things, that way you could be hitting first and on a much higher WS (hoping for 3+ to hit) and even better if you get off Wyssans. The unit would be obliterated before you even started.
    Last edited by honourandglory; September 10th, 2013 at 00:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's the same reaction I've been getting from most people who I've shown my list to. Most say he would just die being shot off the stegga. They all say the skink unit is more useful to have and a better bunker.

That would be painful, if of course the swarms survived till combat. 2 swarm bases is too little a number and they would be wiped off the board pretty quickly. You also have to note that If I wanted the 70 points to spend on the two swars I'd need to move on of the Priests onto the stegga, which you say is a bad idea.

Yeah, Iv'e been thinking about tactics like that. Maybe bait em with some big spell like Fiery Convocation or the bound spells or some other big spell I might get when swapping out.

Thanks for the feedback and the note on tactics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would you need to move a priest onto the Steg if you took a swarm? They are a special choice, and since you already have the min. req. for core (at 25%) you're set.

In my experience my swarms go largely unnoticed and even in combat you will find that your opponent generally ignores them but if you have a smart opponent just put the swarm in the very corner, making only one model able to hit (plus the supporting attack) so you don't lose a ton on combat res. The other benefits of a swarm is that although they are soft, they still have 5 wounds a base and they allow you to see more of your enemy deployment - if you consider that an advantage, which I do.

The last game I played It was a 2500 list and I had 2 units of swarms to back up each unit of TG and Saurus. My TG also had the frenzy banner and it was very nice to see that every 6 I rolled was a str 5 psn attack. I wiped a horde of 40 bloodletters in two turns from a 6 frontage TG unit and my swarms. In a different game, I won the watchtower because my swarms were in there. I was too scared to place my TG or Saurus in it because I was against war machines. My opponent didn't want to waste his shooting at swarms so I won again.

The only real reason I suggest a swarm was because it's cheap and is another buff to your combat list. On the other hand, 10 skinks can place you in a really good position early. They will destroy any monsters with low armour and are great for baiting charges and distracting other magic.

If you meant that you would have to place the Priest on the Steg because there was nowhere else to place him, I would argue that you bunker him in one of your combat units. It does have its advantages. 1 - He can stop you from auto-pursuing and 2. Since his base size is different, he sits on the side and even in combat, might not even be attackable if you place it right. You only have to try and get every model in combat but that doesn't mean little skink needs to if there are meatier saurus willing to engage if you know what I mean

EDIT: One more reason why a skink might be good in a unit of Saurus is that there is a shooting attack from the Tomb Kings that wound based of the highest initiative unit. If you have a skink there, you would use his I4 and not 1. I usually run with Tetto-Eko and this saved MANY saurus from dying. Good luck!

I also suggest going here for a good read. It's a wall of text with some real gems in there.
    http://www.lustria-online.com/viewto...p?f=15&t=12415
    Last edited by honourandglory; September 11th, 2013 at 02:14.

+ Reply to Thread