<1000 Please help a fantasy starter! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help a fantasy starter!

Hi guys, I bought all the models that look cool, so these are what I'm working with... Looking for constructive comments since I have never played fantasy before.

Skink priest w/ feathered cloak

Skink chieftain w/ shield and hand weapon (came from stegadon set)

16 sauros warriors
    Spears
    Full command

14 skinks w/ spears

10 skinks w/ blow pipes

3 terradon riders

1 stegadon

1 razordon hunting pack

What would be an effective addition to this team?
    How many points approx is it? I do not yet own the codex.

Move forward and stay quiet brothers.

Check out my half finished blog here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I havent played lizardmen since 6th edition (or fought against them). But going on trends in 8th edition and assuming some things are the same, I would imagine more saurus infantry and possibly some temple guard would be the first place to start. Followed by at least one slann and then as many big dinosaurs as you can cram in. Also salamanders were good in 5th and 6th ed. and I heard they were pretty good in 7th.
    Last edited by jparks; September 24th, 2013 at 06:47.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    623 (x8)

Well what you have there so far without any upgrades (apart from the 16 Saurus with full command) is just about 870pts or near that amount, with the skinks i'm pretty sure they don't have spears but they do have throwing javelins. But I would go with what jparks said and add a Slaan with a lot of big monsters and add some salamanders too and their flame attack has gone up to strength 4.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies guys. Is the skink chief not strong enough? And yeah they are blow pipes! Is it worth getting any more razordons I like the model heaps more than the salamander...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah. the new salamander models are kinda crappy. Maybe you can find the old fifth edition ones on ebay. They look like dimetrodons and are actually pretty cool.

actually, I just found one:
    Warhammer Lizardmen Salamander 4 Skinks Metal Unpainted | eBay

The few they have are kind of expensive, but if you keep looking, I'm sure one will crop up that isn't priced ridiculously.

As far as razordons, I don't know. They are a 7th edition addition. And I haven't yet acquired the new lizardmen book.

I can't imagine that the skink chief would be as good in combat as a saurus character I am sure they are much cheaper points wise though. And skink sorcerers could never hold a candle to slaan.

*EDIT*

There seems to be quit a bit of information in this thread.

https://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-new-book.html
    Last edited by jparks; September 25th, 2013 at 05:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been listening to a pod cast on them, and it seems like if I buy a the battalion box and get a saraus character model then my army will really take shape. Maybe a slann after that.

Quote Originally Posted by jparks View Post
    yeah. the new salamander models are kinda crappy. Maybe you can find the old fifth edition ones on ebay. They look like dimetrodons and are actually pretty cool.

actually, I just found one:
    Warhammer Lizardmen Salamander 4 Skinks Metal Unpainted | eBay

The few they have are kind of expensive, but if you keep looking, I'm sure one will crop up that isn't priced ridiculously.

As far as razordons, I don't know. They are a 7th edition addition. And I haven't yet acquired the new lizardmen book.

I can't imagine that the skink chief would be as good in combat as a saurus character I am sure they are much cheaper points wise though. And skink sorcerers could never hold a candle to slaan.

*EDIT*

There seems to be quit a bit of information in this thread.

https://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-new-book.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your next best investment really is the army book. In the meantime you will get conflicting advice on what to add to your army. With your own book you can build the army list that will suit your style of play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Your next best investment really is the army book. In the meantime you will get conflicting advice on what to add to your army. With your own book you can build the army list that will suit your style of play.
    Thanks mate that is a really good tip. I just finished putting the last of my saraus warriors together and 1 of 3 terradons. Got a game lined up for tomorrow so pretty keen to have a go! As the skink chief is my oly hero which it's should he have and should he ride the stegadon to actually make him useful?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish I could provide you with good information. Normally I don't use a stegadon at all but my army is still set up with the old book. I won't be able to get the new one until next payday. You could try it on the steg and see if it will work for you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stegadons have always been good. Putting a character on them would obviously make them even better. The only con I can think of is the whole "putting your eggs in one basket" thing. Of course that isn't always such a bad thing.

If you want to run a saurus character, unless you're fighting a rather crotchety opponent, you could just use your champion model for that. I do that sometimes, as long as I state clearly that this model is this kind of character, I haven't had any problems.

+ Reply to Thread