<2000 2,000 point lizardmen army shock tactics. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2,000 point lizardmen army shock tactics.

Hi, I've been trying to plan a tough "shock tactic" lizardmen army to simply trash an opponents front lines.
    I'm fairly new to lizardmen though used to play them a long time ago.
    Any replies welcome, the whole point of posting here is to flag up any potential weaknesses and use others experience, so thanks in advance here it is:

Lord (380)

Slann Mage-priest (lore of life)
    -becalming cogitation
    -obsidian amulet
    -ring of ruby ruin

Hero (380)

Skink priest (beast)
    Level 1
    -obsidian trinket
    -ancient stegadon with engine of gods
    -sharpened horns

Core (500)

20x Saurus warriors

20x Saurus warriors

12x skink cohort

Special (240)

3x ripperdactyl

3x ripperdactyl

Rare (500)

Ancient stegadon
    -sharpened horns

Ancient stegadon
    -sharpened horns

Total: 2,000 points

Tactics are fairly simple, three stegadons up front (priest/EOG) in the centre to confer a 6+ ward to the other two, Saurus blocks on either flank to "pincer" stegs each have sharpened horns for some nasty impact hits, EOG has its nice mass AOE fire damage spell and the two side stegadons have a combined 8d6 s3 poisoned range attacks, that's plenty enough to cope with big targets no matter how tough they are due to insta wounding, and nice vs low armoured tar pits.

Saurus warriors simply guard the flanks and hold up units. Skinks are really just there to hit the needed 3 minimum units choices and 500point minimum spend, but also act as a little bullet shield for the slann.

The ripperdactyls hold back flanking the slann who sits behind the stegadons, they can be sent up the lines in case of war machines etc, and plop their blot toads down on elite or especially dangerous units (x2) they will act as one unit (attacking the same foe) for maximum damage output or to support warriors, basically hanging back waiting to fight on enemy flanks rather than alone due to their softness.

And lastly the slann is ofc the armies core wizard, he sits alone behind the stegadon wall, with a 2+ ward he should be ok even if something got through the big dinosaurs, I would expect all but one (on a bad role) to get 2/3 of the main lore of life spells: throne of vines, flesh to stone and regrowth, these are used to buff and replenish the units in combat - healing them and toughening them up, throne of vines when cast is likely to stick around for a while, this makes the slann very unlikely to miscast, can give units +4 T and heal substantial amount of wounds, whilst healing any lost wounds on himself on successes. He has the ruby ring incase he doesn't get awakening so that he has at least one magic missile, this he will use through the skink priest as he sits out of LOS, if he gets dwellers and/or awakening these will also be used through the skink.

Cheers for any help, comments. I look forward to reading the replies good or bad

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x2)

Problem with the Ancient Steg Blowpipes is you've got to be in short range/have not moved to benefit from the poison, since you're firing off only BS3. Also, where's the Fortitude? You Auto-Lose Blood and Glory, since I can see no Banners in your force. You also don't really have any chaff of your own, so armies with a lot will be able to completely block your Stegs from charging important units, whilst beating down your relatively average sized Saurus Blocks. Lore of Life is fine, but I personally would rather have something like Light for some extra protection from war machines for your monsters, Pha's Protection is an awesome spell and can be cast in a bubble, plus it gives you access to more magic missiles for when you're being chaffed out (and to stop Vampire Counts ruining your day with Terrorgheists), and the combat awesome of Speed of Light/Timewarp. I'd try to fit in another unit of Cohorts, since they're so cheap and will provide you with some more relatively accurate shooting. Not sure whether you need 3 sets of Sharpened Horns, your Engine of the Gods one will probably be staying out of heavy combat, and you have enough to make Ogres cry anyway, so dropping that could save some points. Also, why the obsidian amulet on the Priest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All good points, I really just knocked the list up for poops n giggles (and a change of pace) I am now contemplating removing the two stegs for 8man blocks of cold ones + vet, putting the saurus warriors together, getting another 10 man cohort and taking lore of light (by far my favourite lore) only went for life to help protect the shrimpy units.

Have started to use cold ones of late, and am really surprised at how good they are (can be) especially combined With the swarms poisoned attacks bonus, it's just squeezing the points costs in.

I'm going to have a re-think and post up a more combat heavy list. I also would prefer tougher units, and yes the lack of a standard was worrying me, but due to points I just couldn't get it in.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so I've basically scrapped this list, just too many faults. Also the trinket was for the magic res, with the a.stegs ward it gives some extra protection to the unit.

New list which is pretty similar to what I already use is:

Lord (380)

Slann Mage priest (light)
    -becalming cogitation
    -bsb
    -obsidian trinket

Hero (245)

Saurus vet
    -Light armour
    -Great weapon
    -Cold one
    -Ruby ring of ruin

Saurus vet
    -light armour
    -great weapon
    -cold one

Core (540)

30x Saurus warriors
    -standard

10x skink cohort
    -kroxigor

10x skink cohort
    -kroxigor

Special (580)

7x cold one riders
    -standard

7x cold one riders
    -standard

3x ripperdactyl

3x ripperdactyl

It's become a simple list that uses combat with lore of light buffs to overkill, I have 155 points yet to spend but could lose one/two units of ripperdactyls to gain 275/395 points free but I have come to love them, one unit I could drop for 275 free points, there in which lies my problem, I simply can't decide what to get. My thoughts are that I need a monster/something scary, or a block of skinks with kroxies. Some ideas are:
    -25 skink and 3x kroxigors
    -trade in ruby ring and get 2x bastiladons (solar engines)
    -ancient stegadon with EOG.

Your thoughts would be welcome, cheers.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

94 (x2)

Hey mate, nice improvements.

As for what to fill your list with, since you like to keep the Rippers around, I'd drop one unit of Cold One Riders, so's you can bump the other unit up to 10 strong (6x2 with both vets in it) and give them Spears. By my calculations, that leaves you with 245 points to spend. If you want a bigger Skink/Krox unit, I'd drop the Kroxigor from one Cohort and then buff the other up to 25/3 strong, leaving you with 120 points. I am certain that Musicians on both Skink units will be nothing but beneficial to your list, so that leaves you with 100 dead (125 if you decide to drop the RRoR). Hell, I'd actually drop 5 Saurus since you've got so many points over your minimum core, giving you 155 (or 180 w/ RRoR). That could get you (working off 180 points):
    - a Bastiladon and some kit for your Characters, maybe a Scroll
    - 2 Salamanders with extra crew and a cheap item or two
    - A Lvl 1 Skink Priest with scroll and a Skink Chief on Terradon with a few bits
    - 2 Razordons and another 10 Skinks
    - 3 Krox (on their own) and kit

Just a few suggestions, what do you think would fit your army most?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that's some very good advice thanks its all very good.
    Hmm I want the skink/kroxigor block (at least one) the cold ones I've been using lately and am liking them a lot, but one stronger unit I could do, I think then I might go for a monster choice, I just don't feel right without at least one somewhere. Only just realised I didn't add in a priest for beast lore, that I might do with a cohort.
    Also just to clarify as I've never been 100% sure, there is a minimum of 3 units in an army right? (sure I'm not just making that up) but do they have to be core choices or just any 3 units? For a example would the cold ones count as 1/3.

I'm going to think on it and post the final draft

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

94 (x2)

You just need a General and 3 units, they don't have to be Core. No problem, I feel that whilst CoC are good you don't really need 2 units, especially since that unit I suggested can disrupt ranks and assist in winning combats more. What makes Skink/Krox survivable is Light magic, Beasts is fine, but T3 still dies easy; when they hit you on 6's, then you're hard to shift. I look forward to seeing your final list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so here it is, a few tweaks, might have gone a bit mad on the skinks, but they can easily be switched up for Saurus warriors, I just don't think the one 25 man unit was quite enough. I also went for two basiladons for the increased toughness, due to skink core. though again I can quickly swap them back. Swarms have been added for the poisoned attacks they give units in combat with them, plus 2x arcs can increase their unit size (when safe) I have to say i do like the look of this army.
    Toying with the idea of replacing the skink chiefs with the second scar vet or a priest w/wings for magic support / terrorgheist hunting, as they can really ruin a perfectly good day.

Hopefully this will be the last bunch of tweaks, but before I go and spend a ton of cash I want it to be airtight again thanks very much for the help.

Lord (380)

Slann Mage priest
    -becalming cogitation
    -obsidian amulet
    -BSB

Hero (210)

Scar veteran
    -cold one
    -light armour
    -great weapon

Skink chief
    -blowpipe
    -light armour
    -shield

Skink chief
    -blowpipe
    -light armour
    -shield

Core (580)

Skink cohort x26
    -kroxigor x3
    -musician

Skink cohort x26
    -kroxigor x3
    -musician

Special (830)

Cold one riders x10
    -spears

Bastiladon

Bastiladon

Ripperdactyls x3

Jungle swarm x2

Total = 2,000 points
    Last edited by Deed525; October 6th, 2013 at 22:00.

+ Reply to Thread