<2000 2k Competitive Shooty/Avoidance - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x2)

2k Competitive Shooty/Avoidance

So this is my plan. Saurus are great and all, but big blocks of M4 infantry have never been really my style (sure, I play horde Beastmen, but they are at least M5, which is a pretty big difference). Skinks and other faster units are what are interesting me here. I will of course take a Slann, what with it being somewhat essential to high level play, but I'm going to take Saurus units only when I feel it necessary to do so. Yes, I do intend to have a competitive list. Based a lot around outmaneuvering the opponent and only committing to combat when necessary. Let's see what we can work with. Usual C&C expected to work make this list as good as I can before I go out and spend all my money =P Here we go:

Lords
    Slann Mage Priest (Lore of Metal, possibly Light, Shadow, Death or Fire, not sure yet) - Reservoir of Eldritch Energy, Becalming Cogitation, Harmonic Convergence, BSB, Channeling Staff, Obsidian Amulet, Healing Potion - 475 (yikes, I'm not a fan of the price, would really like a suggestion as to what to drop to streamline the build)

Heroes
    Skink Priest - Dispel Scroll - 90 (Beasts)

Core
    10 Skinks - Musician, Standard - 70
    10 Skink Skirmishers - Javelins
    10 Skink Skirmishers - Blowpipes
    10 Skink Skirmishers - Blowpipes

Special
    9 Chameleon Skinks
    3 Terradon Riders - Fireleech Bolas - 108
    3 Terradon Riders - Fireleech Bolas - 108
    6 Kroxigor

Rare
    1 Salamander Hunting Pack - Additional Handler - 84
    1 Salamander Hunting Pack - Additional Handler - 84
    1 Razordon Hunting Pack - Additional Handler - 69

Total - 1995

It will need work, but I think it has a legitimate potential to be powerful. The only units the enemy shall be getting into combat with will probably be Krox, because I want them to. I have unit whittling power in quantity of fire, and hunting packs. If I take Metal, I can deal with high armour, and have Krox to hit it should it ever get to me. I can shoot Regen off Monsters/Units and poison them to death. I'd certainly like to give this a go. What changes would you make? What do you think I'm missing? How can I change it up to make it a well oiled machine of killy goodness? Thanks in advance!
    NMP

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes indeed! He's a meaty amount of points that frog is!

I'm personally not a fan of the Harmonic Convergence/Channeling staff combo. You effectively are paying a lot of points for a roughly 33% chance of rolling a channel dice which should give you statistically one extra per turn. That being said, your build should be dominating most magic phases but a poor roll combined with a turn in which you used all your dispel dice previously will see all those points wasted. Dunno, I feel the risk/reward scales are not so favourable to this build when you consider he is nearly double his standard points cost.

I'm always a fan of Higher State of Consciousness and Obsidian Amulet if you're looking to keep him cheap(ish) and still have a defensive build. Immune to mundane attacks and a 2+ ward vs Magic is great. (Just keep him out of combat ) With the points you save you could take Tetto'Eko which allows you to reroll all your casting dice that roll a 1 most of the time. That will give your magic phase a boost in that the dice you use are more efficient. He also grants you all the spells from the Lore of Heavens which adds to your avoidance/ranged damage theme and he gives d3 units Vanguard which adds to your maneuverability.

I like the Salamanders/Terradons there for the stripping regen purposes and there is a huge amount of firepower with poison to deal with most units successfully. Hordes of low armoured targets and chaff units are really going to suffer here! Not 100% about those Kroxigors though. If the enemy does make it through your waves of poisonous lizardy gits, I can't see 6 Kroxigors saving the game for you realistically so you may as well run with the theme and add more shooty or evasive units.

If you did hypothetically take Tetto'Eko, a Trogladon wouldn't go amiss. You could take Lore of Death on the Slann and use the D3 Vanguard units rule to run the Trog along the enemy flank and cast Purple Sun via the Slann through the Skink Oracle right down your opponant's battle line or Death Snipe a general on turn 1! He would be in a prime possition to run onto enemy warmachines from there and he could even knock off chaff units/lone enemy characters in combat. If you get a good yield on the D3, you could even Vanguard the Salamanders or Blowpipes into range to save that negative BS/Move or Shoot nonsense.

The only real threats I can see to this list are armies with Heavy/Monsterous Cavalry or powerful casters with Lore of Fire. Them T2 Skinks won't enjoy anything that Lore has to offer I'm sure. Lore of Death would allow you to potentially bump off enemy Wizards early while Uranon's Thunder Bolt and Chain Lightning will be particularly nice vs most small cavalry blocks, particularly if combined with Doom and Darkness to make those panic tests all the most difficult!

If you use all the above, the Slann, Tetto'Eko, the scroll Jockey and the Oracle will give you 4 channeling attempts too which ain't half bad!

Anyway, not sure if any of this is useful or even good advice but I hope it helps in someway As longs as you have fun using it, that's all that counts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh! and of course lore of Death potentially recycles more power dice for any wounds you cause for more magical zappage!

+ Reply to Thread