<2000 new to lizards first 2000pt list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gizzard

Thread: new to lizards first 2000pt list

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x4)

new to lizards first 2000pt list

Hi so I'm thinking about starting up lizards and have been messing about this is what I got

Lord

Slann bsb light
    325pts

Hero

Saurus scare veteran light armour halberd steg helm
    128 pts

Core

25 saurus warriors standard 5x5
    285pts

25 saurus warriors standard 5x5
    285pts

10 skinks xx

10 skinks xx

Special

19 temple guard standard 6x4 Slann and saurus vet go here
    Total 276pts

6 kroxigor xxx

6 kroxigor xxx

Total 1999pts

So temple and characters middle and kroxigor either side saurus either side of that all in the light bubble. The idea is to birons and speed of light this list asf, extra attack, double movement I10 ws10 thats 3 hits per saurus with re rolls and predatory fighter the crocs will strike first from I10 to so it's a fairly good output. Even without the spells I feel this list can go toe to toe with good lists and skinks are to chalf and chalf hunt thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

No lizard players with comments sad times lol

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Its a shame no one has given any advice or help, so I will give my opinion. Lore of light is awesome and almost seams written for lizardmen, but slann are no longer the uber casters they used to be, can't be 100% about getting speed of light/timewarp. The list looks good, but you will have a hard time if the magic phase is a bust. Those kroxigor are a prime target for things like skullcrushers and other Mcav, as longs as you get a good roll for spells and a decent few magic phases you should be ok. Also try and squeeze a dispel scroll in if you can and add standards/ musicians to the skinks for blood and glory/ rally affter fleeing, they should not be in combat vs anything but chaos warhounds and similar things. Personally I would drop 4 of the krox, have one unit of 8, and bulk the saurus units up to 30+ 6x5 normally a good choice for them. Anyway hope this give you some help or at least something to think about.
    Upon wings of iron they fall upon the foe

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I'm a returning Lizardmen player after shelving them until the 8th ed book was released. Had a few games and they can be a tough army to figure out in 2000 points (which is currently the going limit in my local meta). Your list has some strong aspects but lacks in some roles, for example countering flyers and tarpit units which will be making a dash for those Saurus blocks and sapping what should be the backbone of your army.

Here is what I have been running:

Slann Mage-Priest with Focus of Mystery

Saurus Scar Veteran on Carnosaur with Light Armour, Charmed Shield and Spear

30 Saurus with Spears, Banner and Musician

10 Skink Cohorts, No command

26 Temple Guard, Banner and Musician

Stegadon with Sharpened Horns

2 Salamander Packs (Running as 2 units of 1)

3 Ripperdactyls

So the main battle line is made up from the Horde of Saurus and the Horde of Temple Guard+Slann in the centre, the Carnosaur and Steg to the flanks. I usually deploy my lone Salamanders in between each horde and it's adjacent monster to deal with enemy chaff of cut hordes down to size with the shooting attacks. The Ripperdactyls are nice if you add the blot toad to the enemies main Hammer unit but firstly chase down enemy warmachines. This way in the later game, you can add their massive amount of really killy attacks to the main combat between your Saurus and their hammer unit with rather pleasing results. The Rippers are also nice for causing stalemates with other enemy flyers by matching their movement or pinning them with charge arc placements. The Stegs bow is a nice addition to deal with enemy monsters, as are the skinks who double up as chaff units and redirectors for your main blocks. These units are particularly nice when combined with Hand of Glory buffs to their BS. Skinks are also nice for running down warmachines /lone characters in a pinch. My real favourite is the carnosaur though, it's like a T-Rex meets a Cruise Missile. Between Terror-Bombing or it's sheer weight of Str7 attacks, it really bosses the flanks but that Charmed Shield is made a little redundant against big gun lines. I try to hammer it into combat as fast as possible and set up overruns into other units to try and prevent it being shot at so often. You can use Walk Between Worlds to protect these monsters too which is rather handy. The loremaster of High Magic is lovely too as it allows you to get access to Wyssens Wildform from turn 2 which is horrendous when applied to Temple Guard or Saurus. Melkoths Mystifying Miasma is another favourite of mine allowing you to cripple the enemies main hammer unit and swapping the Slann for the Carnosaur with the Shadow spell attribute. SUPRIZE!

In all honesty I haven't used Krox in this edition but I do love monstrous infantry. How do you find they perform?
    Dark_Sabre88 likes this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

My list relies on light to make it better tbh its fairly effective without it.

Right i don't talior something to deal with flyers they are a niche that i will deal with as and when and movment 8 saurus or 12 crocs out run flyers most times. Tar pits are tar pitsim not going to be able to taylor for that i will use my skinks to re direct or pin so my other units can avoid them but most tar pits are weak and are destroyed in a turn. The key to this list is staying tight hoplite style.

question why are you hording the saurus if i saw a horde of saurus thats and easy win plow a unit with 5 wide 6 deep into the corner your attacking with 6 saurus not 10 even if you win i will be stead fast meaning your main fighting block is stuck but with only 2 ranks you are losing combat before any wounds are caused if your gunna horde saurus and i wouldnt 50 with spears otherwise if your taking 30 6x5 spears you can fight everything then still in 3 ranks and tbh hordes are dieing out accept in dirt cheap armys even then they only take a horde if they can get ranks aswell ranks are more important.

Crocs boosted by light amazing you get birons and speed of light on them and they rock without no better than any other really the 4+ is nice when going against your st3 t3 but really putting them into that is wasting their str 7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of players in my local meta field hordes themselves so I usually find I can get all the Saurus in base-to-base contact and buff them with things like Hand of Glory and Wyssan's Wildform to edge the combat in lieu of rank bonus/steadfast. WS4, S5, T5 saurus are a difficult unit to best with 31 attacks and any bonus ones from your Predatory Fighter rules. I have given them spears so when the unit begins to deplete, I can rapid reform them into ranks, make use of the spears and soak charges rather than aggressively advancing. Sort of an Attack and Defense mode; If I determine that I can beat a unit mathematically then happy days, if not I have the option to reform and maneuver them into a position that forces an opponent to charge them or maneuver around them.

I do agree that 6x5 is the more tactically sound formation, (I run my Orcs in 7x5's and they generally do very well for it) but there are other advantages to fielding hordes in that you can cover a larger battleline which makes it more difficult for Scouts to deploy in and around your lines. Once you are ready to hit your first turn, if you find the formation doesn't suit you just pass a leadership check and away you go without impeding your movement. I dunno, I've found it works well for me.

I'm surprised you find flyers a niche thing as I've been seeing a huge increase in their usage. Is it just not something used in you meta? Particularly High Elves, Wood Elves, Warriors and Daemons of Chaos, other Lizardmen players and Vampire Counts. Id say I can expect to see them 50% of the time playing around Cardiff.

Can you actually have movement 12 Krox? I thought the stat cap was 10. Either way though, I can certainly see how they will be great for combat output. I actually have 6 lying around so I may give them a crack of the whip in my next game.

So you got any more thoughts on the Slann of yours? If your army is effective without the massed power dice could you probably strip a few points off him?

Sticking so the theme of unit composition, out of curiousity how would you run a Chaos Warrior unit? I'm struggling to find a composition that a. doesn't waste attacks and b. doesn't waste points by filling it full of expensive ranks.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

you march kroxigors 12 they move 6. Also a horde of 30 is far too small, soon as one guy dies you drop an attack 40 is better and saurus are not expensive and spears are wasted with a horde of 30 with spears I would use 50 plus and you also don't get a parry save.
    Upon wings of iron they fall upon the foe

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x4)

Yeah spears are for deep formation. Yeah birons doubles movement to

+ Reply to Thread