1st Turn Loss and my Revenge! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st Turn Loss and my Revenge!

After taking a break from Lizardmen (due to them being in storage and not getting them out until after 7th Ed), I got my new book at a midnight release! I then lost the next day, but nothing to blame on the part of the trusty LM. We were playing the "Blood and Glory" scenario. I got the first turn! One of my LVL 2 Skink Priests cast with IF and then dropped to LVL 0. My Slann BSB then cast with IF and got sucked into the warp. I hit threshold and lost the game...on the very first turn... I plan on really trying out the army and added a couple "fail safes". Here is my list:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Slann BSB w/ Earthening Rod and the Discipline that allows rerolls of the first failed dispel in the enemy magic phase
    1 Saurus Oldblood with Shield, Armor of Destiny, and Pirahna Blade
    2 LVL 2 Skink Priests, one with Dispell Scroll.
    42 Saurus Spearmen with FC
    25 Saurus Warriors with FC
    4 units of 12 Skink Skirmishers (2 with Blowpipes and 2 with Javelins and Shields, all with a Patrol Leader)
    4 Jungle Swarms
    5 Cold One Riders (spears and FC)
    18 Temple Guard with FC and Sword of Swift Slaying
    1 Salamder w/ extra Skink
    1 Stegadon with Sharpened Horns and Unstoppable Charge (whatever the upgrade is called, I don't have the book with me right now.)

Let me know what you think, and I will try to post what happens with the game on Saturday.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Wow, that was unlucky.

I always make sure that I consider the different win criteria. To have a truly capable army you need to make sure you have banners for Blood & Glory, at least one small infantry unit for Watchtower, and a couple of fast units, preferably fliers for any scenarios with objective points. If you want a truly competitive army it needs to be able to do a little bit of everything I find.

As for your list, I'd consider finding room for some Ripperdactyls or Terradons, if only so you have something flying. Other than that, your list seems balanced. It's hard to say 'till we see how the new Lizardmen run in practice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Tornado for the advice. I was actually thinking about the 'dactyls today. I will have to weight the different types and decide. Right now I'm kind of eyeing the Rippers though. Oh, and sadly I will not be able to play this Saturday, looks more like next week. Once I battle though, I will be sure to let you guys know so we might be able to collect all the data we need on the new rules, units, etc.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Looking at your list;

What lores are you taking on each caster?
    Do you real need patrol leaders for your skinks? unless they have a better Ld I would maybe not bother, or buy another skink. Can Skirmishers have musicians?
    Im no too sure I would bother with swarms unless I was going with a bastiladon and AoS to regain bases. I like swarms, but I think alone I would run a unit of 6 3x2.
    Saurus Cavalry, I would drop FC and go with just musician and use it as a shock unit at that size. Failing that I would add some more models to the unit before looking and more banners and champion, especially with no fliers to support them.

There just some points I would look at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if I chose to not take Spawn Champions in the Saurus/Temple Guard blocks, then what do I do if challenged by a VC blender? Do I just refuse and let the character go to the back of the formation? Granted, the only one I'm worried about is the Slann. Do I keep the TG Champion? I understand what you are saying about the Patrol Leaders with the Skinks. I'm really hoping to get the swarms in combat to give the Saurus horde poison attacks though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x4)

I didn't say drop Saurus or TG Champions, just the Skink ones. As although that +1 BS is nice to have, in the grand scheme of things its not worth the points you pay for it in the long run. Keep Saurus and TG Champions obviously to accept challenges on behalf of you characters that you don't want to die straight away.

I wouldn't take a champion in Saurus Cavalry because it so expensive, similar with the standard, unless you were going full force of at least 10 cavalry. And then if I needed to slash points I would still drop the champion unless it also had character in the cavalry unit.

If you want Swarms take them. Im just saying they will have a better chance being supported by an ark of Sotek to increase there unit size and keep them at strength. Alternatively, running just 4 bases I would be tempted to split them into 2 units of 2 (they might be a 3+ unit size not got the book to hand), as at least that way you wont have someone magic missile them to death, and you wont be wasting dispel dice trying to save them all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battle for the Pass:
    The Saurus spearmen horde and block of 25 Saurus Warriors proved very effective. The combination of Stegadon and Jungle Swarms crushed a unit of 14 Black Knights (couldn't get that blasted standard until turn 5 and the Blender in the unit proved nigh invulnerable.) The Oldblood with the Horde was great, and even slaughtered a mini blender in a skeleton horde.

Changes to the list: going to drop down the Saurus Cav to bare bones (probably keeping spears, maybe take a musician). Get rid of Patrol Leaders, and maybe drop the salamander. I am thinking of rolling with a diff BSB. The Slann is too much of a liability as the BSB. (It's bad enough he's my general, why do I have to give an extra 100 pts if he gets waxed?) I might toy with the idea of another beastie too. Either Scar Vet on Carnosaur, or Bastilidon with AoS. I will let you know about the tweaks and how they do next game.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x4)

There are some good reasons most people use Slann as BSB;

1) you have 5 wounds compared to just 2.
    2) you come with a 4+ Ward Save.
    3) Generaly you are in a units second rank, meaning you cannot be targeted by most melee attackers.
    4) you pay 25pts on top of an already expensive model, compared to spending another 200ish pts on buying another character, buying him equipment to stay alive, and then making sure that he can do more than just sit and take a hit. You can go too defensive and loose the offensive ability.

Saurus are really good BSBs, can have a high Armour save, have a really good T5 and high basic S5, with High number of attacks with do have a potential of being doubled. I would definitely consider using a Saurus BSB if I took a slann at a low point cost game and couldn't afford the upgrade to BSB on him, but generally, for the points mentioned above, I would be happy with a slann bsb.

I would go with a carnosaur because I like the model, but I think your list would benefit from some fast movement in the way of Terradons, maybe even terradons if you would rather have combat over the drop rocks and fire bollas ability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have put together a 2500pt list for a local tourney this weekend. I play tested against O&G yesterday. This was an inexperience O&G player (he's normally VC but was using my O&G stuff), but I did help him on some things. We only played three turns before he called it quits. My horde of 42 Spearmen with an Old Blood and the Slann BSB almost got butchered by 34 Big Uns carrying the Razor Standard with an Orc Warboss and Orc Big Boss BSB. They were flank charged early on by a small unit of Savage Ork Boar Boyz accompanied by an Orc Big Boss with Ogre Blade (due to Frenzy on a Meeting Engagement). Turn 3 the tide changed though. The Jungle Swarms got chewed up quickly but did give the Saurus Horde Poisoned attacks during one phase. 12 Cold One Riders wiped out a little over half of a 20 Orc unit and then chased them off the table. Lore of Beasts and High Magic are pretty good. My Old Blood almost died, but I was able to heal 2 wounds. No Temple Guard this time, but I will definitely be looking at including them and not throwing the Slann in the Spear horde.

+ Reply to Thread