How is the bastiladon faring? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

How is the bastiladon faring?

Has anyone ran the bastiladon yet? If so, how did it turn out for you and what did you kit it with?

I bought and assembled a bastiladon and can't decide if I like the arc or the gem shrine better. I have both assembled such that I can set either one on top, but the skinks hanging by one arm are so flimsy that they will break off quickly, so I have to actually make a decision unfortunately. I am leaning towards the arc because I made 4 jungle swarms.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tried it once so far with the solar engine the passive initiative is actually useful in combo with hand of glory i had ws5 initiative 4 saurus warriors nothing to sniff at. Also its worth noting that it makes you lose less models to purple sun of xeros and dwellers below.

In regards to the laser beam i got my bastilidon in combat do didn't use it but in combat it did some damage and only took a bit of damage against 6 str 6 attacks a turn. Its quite durable in combat and its nice support all around. Also a cheap thunder-stomp is nice.

In regards to the arc of sotek i personally don't like it for the following reasons. One you have to run swarms for it to be use full swarms can die very quickly and possibly putting back 1 swarm a turn isnt something I would spend 150 points doing especially as it cant increase the swarm size past its starting value. Two it requires taking swarms that are at best a temporary roadblock were as the solar engine buffs any unit in its range. Three the ability does not always bring a swarm back and finally the shooting attack is pretty much only usable in combat and at str 2 its not really going to do much.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    494 (x8)

Actually, the Ark of Sotek can take jungle swarms past there starting size. I still wouldn't take it though.

The Solar Engine is a nice boost for a decently low price. If you want it to live though, you better have some other targets worth shooting at. Otherwise it will go down fairly quickly, especially in combat.

SirKently
    I am right 94% of the time, why worry about the other 3%.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the solar engine. Great way to kill fluff for a single power die.

Cheap thunderstomp also nice, albeit at S4.

Recently ran two Bastiladons into a unit of eternal guard with a highborn. 2*S10 attacks w/+1 to hit plus a lucky skink stab took down the highborn and his silver steel armour then it was just a case of trampling on elves and letting their spears deflect of my 2+ armour save. Lots of fun!

That being said, the bastiladons won't stand up alone in combat for long and need to be supporting/supported by something else. In this case mine were supporting/supported by each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same story here, I used two bastiladons together, they do make a nice little team and can hold a unit firm for a while, the beam can be good but I found the ark very useful, 2x arks in long combats are surprisingly handy, 4d6 low strength hits can still rack up a few bodies along with the stomps and combat attacks. I doubt I would use one bastiladon alone with an ark though, it's just not enough.
    As for swarms they can be really nasty additions to the army, if its combat heavy ie:warrior/cold one blocks, giving the very high amounts of attacks being put out the poison ability is very nasty. In this case though I would go with the beam, for the +1 I rather than extra swarm bases(chance to get them)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    623 (x8)

I haven't really had the chance to use my new Lizardmen codex yet but I was thinking of running 2 solar engines, i'm going to have to try that now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me know how it goes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I really like the Solar Engine, but my problem with it is that you can't use it while in combat. What's the point of taking a big monster that's clearly meant for combat (even if not very powerful) and then sticking a big laser on him that can't be used in combat? I have the same problem with units that are good at CC and shooting. They likely won't need to be good at both, and you're paying points for that capability. And especially with bastiladons, they're not likely to break an opponent very easily and they're not going to die very easily, so they could end up in combat for 3-4 turns.
    "Remember, the first step on the path to victory is often the most important."
    -Commander Puretide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly why I use double arks, with a 2base unit of swarms hanging around they can pump out a fair amount of poisoned attacks, low str that they are, they can be surprisingly good in combat with swarms, 2x t.stomps, 4 s4 attacks, 2 s10 both arks and the swarms themselves all poisoned is not bad, they tend to outlive most basic units, so kinda wittle them down, The solars are ok but you will likely only get one maybe two blasts off (remember that they are bound spells), the +1 I is ok but most will take lore of light etc and won't be of much use in the grand scheme of things.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

I love the bastiladons with the engine, saved extra saurus from pit of shades and the beam it does has taken out a unit of dark elf coldone knights. I also ran it into a unit of witch elves who couldn't get past the armour.
    Upon wings of iron they fall upon the foe

+ Reply to Thread