Halo Story Unlocking - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Halo Story Unlocking

Ok, so, I once was a big fan of the Halo series. I played everything except Reach and then left the country for a couple years. Now I'm back and just borrowed Halo 4 from a friend. I won't harp much on Bungie's storytelling here, and I really enjoyed Halo 4, I wish 343 had been involved earlier on with Halo. Anyway, that said, I am confused.

Wasn't the original twist to all this that we were Forerunners? (Humans). Isn't that why at Harvest the Covenant computer kept saying there were forerunner artifacts on the planet? Since when did all this 'galactic upkeep' come along? Since when did humans become so beasty they could beat the forerunners, be beaten back down by them, and then do it all again? I need some clarity here.

Can anyone help me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

We're not the Forerunners - we coexisted with them. The Halo "fluff" is kind of dodgy. First, it says that the Forerunners saw humans as a threat, once we had evolved enough to have starships etc. The Forerunners had disarmed their culture by this point, having "matured past petty warfare" and thought of Humanity as a barbaric threat to their rule over the universe. They had us "devolved" back into a more primitive state, and we would never threaten them again.

Humanity also didn't really "beat down" the Forerunners. The Flood did that. The more coherent story is that the Forerunners never counted on the flood, and their demilitarized society had no way to cope with the threat until it was too late. This is why the Forerunners started created the robotic Sentinels, so that the Flood would not have any food supply. The Forerunners also began creation of the Halo stations (first game, the big ring), which were capable of killing any and all sentient lifeforms which had enough biomass to sustain the Flood. The idea was to starve the Flood into extinction, and then use gene-stock saved on The Ark to reseed the planets and bring about new life.
    This is why the enemies in Halo 4 are all biomechanical - they are the Forerunners who committed themselves to AI in order to survive the Halo ordeal, and this was considered a huge mistake. 343 always irritated me, but basically, he knows where to find the Librarian, the AI which was responsible for cataloging all life preserved in The Ark.

So how do the Flood come back? Well, the Forerunners were experimenting on the Flood, so it's possible that they survived in some kind of stasis and outlasted the Halo starvation. Alternatively, they may have hidden away in small pockets to rebuild, or they could be a natural evolution of some kind, and will always return as a cycle once the evolution of the universe reaches a certain point (like the boss level that you can't beat at the end of a game, even when you know it's coming).

Honestly, I'm sort of tired of Halo. I like it more when it was as simple as "Here is the Covenant, here is Mankind". They could have told an excellent story along just that arc. I think that 'Gears of War' came in and said "wow, this is where Bungie dropped the ball, let's just make a 'first-contact FPS' arc." I'm really looking forward to the next-gen Bungie game (can't remember the name now) because it seems to be a more coherent story. I think that Bungie has a lot of ability, but I think they realized that as a company, they have outgrown Halo, and it was time to shift the mantle over to a new sucker. Halo is going to drop off sharply, I can almost promise you. The new studio will either make a huge overhaul, or they're going to spend their entire time with the last few games of the franchises just trying to create a coherent story out of all of Bungie's childish loose-ends.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Captain

Thanks for the response, I thought this thread was a lost cause. I suspect at the end of all things you are right, Bungie just made some serious consistency errors along the way, and it all kind of went haywire. There is so much that doesn't all fit together like it should. BUt still, thanks for clearing up as much as was possible.

I also really love the Covenant, they are such an interesting idea to me, some kind of weird alien combine of all kinds of different species. I think the Grunts are hilarious, the Elites are awesome, the Hunters are beastly, and all the other stuff is pretty nifty too. I dream of one day fielding a covenant force on the tabletop, as weird as that sounds.

I actually thought Halo 4 storytelling was pretty strong, there was just some stuff with the Didact and other Forerunner lady that didn't make sense to me with humanity and stuff, I guess because they couldn't reconcile it all with older fiction/plans.

Thanks again!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Poet of the Deed Captain Corrigan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

I'm not sure Bungie are to blame here: for a long while before Bungie parted ways with Microsoft (from 2009 in fact) it was 343i who were in charge of the background of the Haloverse, they just took over the games themselves when Bungie said enough is enough. The Forerunner/Human fluff makes sense, apart from the fact that it seems crazy that Librarian had the power to reverse Forerunner policy on humans so completely as to make them their successors.

I have to say I dislike what has been done with the Elites in the new story arc. They seem to have been completely ruined as a race by the events of The Thursday War, and they were one of my favourite things about the Haloverse beforehand. Part of the problem with storytelling in Halo 4 was the shift in philosophy, since 343i are trying to tie all material available (books,films, graphic novels etc.) into each other, meaning that to get the story of Halo 4 to its full extent without it feeling contrived you needed to have read the books not all of which are actually any good. There IS potential in the new story arc, but to fulfil that potential I think that the next two games will have to be very ambitious story-wise - what I would like to see before the end is Master Chief himself being forced to grapple with the issue of firing the Halo rings in the same way Bornstellar-Didact did in the books (well, I can hope - they DID promise a darker theme to this trilogy).

The Forerunner glyphs aboard the Ark that the Prophets saw simply meant "Reclaimer" - it was the Prophets themselves who (mis)interpreted that to mean that humans actually were Forerunners. Reclaimer status simply meant that humanity were entitled to all remaining Forerunner technology thanks to the Librarian's final actions which were basically her giving over the Mantle to humanity as the Precursors had always intended.

The Mantle as a concept was introduced around the time that the first Forerunner novel was written I think - it was a responsibility first held by the Precursors, which they told the Forerunners (their creations) that they would inherit. They later told the Forerunners that they weren't worthy after all, and that humans (another Precursor creation) would be tested for compatibility with the Mantle instead, and the Forerunners went to war with them over it. Somehow the Forerunners won (I suspect the Precursors didn't try fighting back given their huge technological superiority makes military defeat ridiculously unlikely) and they claimed the Mantle for themselves. Fast forward a bit and humanity, which was about as advanced as the Forerunners, start expanding aggressively, apparently committing genocide on a massive scale as they did so. The Forerunners, already angry at the human claim to the Mantle, went to war with humanity, little realising that the "genocide" was in fact a final resort against Flood infected worlds. Caught between the Forerunners and the Flood, humanity lost, were forcibly devolved into apes and had to start afresh on Erde-Tyrene (Earth). The Forerunners then encountered the Flood, lost, and so were forced to light the Halo Array.

Hopefully that answers your questions, it seems I've gone and written another essay.

-Corrigan
    Last edited by Captain Corrigan; July 13th, 2013 at 18:52.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    623 (x8)

It's a rather good essay, if I do say myself Captain

8. ThanksCaptain Corrigan thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks much for the detailed response(s). I am grateful. Looks I may actually have to go back and buy that forerunner books or books try to understand all this stuff for Halo 4 to make all the sense I was hoping it would. For what it's worth, I agree, love the Elites as well. Are there plans to continue with the Masterchief's story? Will there be Halo 5?

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

343i is indeed planning to release a second trilogy, going from Halo4 to Halo6. There will probably be a few companion games tied in as well, depending on strong the franchise remains. Halo5 is slated for the next generation of consoles, but I'm not sure if it's expected as a release title. There was a teaser trailer of a game at E3, which many people mistook for Halo, but Microsoft has said definitively that it was not Halo, but a 60fps FPS meant for release in 2014 - it does feature Master Chief though. Whether or not this is Halo5, or some other offshoot of the story, is entirely up in the air.

Presently, release titles that have been confirmed for the XBox1 as of June 10th are (exclusives in bold):
    Metal Gear Solid 5 - Konami
    Ryse - Crytek
    Halo(something) - 343I
    Forza 5 - Turn10
    Minecraft "Xbox1 Edition" - Mojang
    Quantum Break - Remedy Entertainment
    Killer Instinct - Rare Ltd.
    Sunset Overdrive - Insomniac
    Dead Rising 3 - Capcom
    The Witcher 3 - CD Projekt Red Studios
    Battlefield 4 - DICE
    Titanfall - Respawn
    Project Spark - Microsoft Studios
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Forerunner glyphs aboard the Ark that the Prophets saw simply meant "Reclaimer" - it was the Prophets themselves who (mis)interpreted that to mean that humans actually were Forerunners. Reclaimer status simply meant that humanity were entitled to all remaining Forerunner technology thanks to the Librarian's final actions which were basically her giving over the Mantle to humanity as the Precursors had always intended. Play and Download asphalt 8 airborne Now Available on PC & Mac FREE!

+ Reply to Thread