Wow... really... no section for TV & Film? I guess general discussion it is then.

So I'm a big fan of Modern Grindhouse films. For those unaware, here's an explaination as to what I mean:-

"A grindhouse is an American term for a theatre that mainly shows exploitation films. It is named after the defunct burlesque theatres located on 42nd Street in New York City, where 'bump n' grind' dancing and striptease were featured." - Wikipedia.

Grindhouse films where basically films from as early as the 1930's all the way up until the 1980's that where not shown in standard cinemas and theatres because they where considered "too extreme". In stead they where shown in open air "drive-thu theatres", and grindhouses, which is where they got their name. The most popular where the horror films, particularly slasher films. Some very popular franchises such as 'Friday The 13th', 'Halloween', and 'Dawn Of The Dead' started in these theatres.

Now, some films like those already mentioned, and certain action films like 'Escape From New York', 'Mad Max', etc. got re-released, sometimes within a year or two, in main cinemas and theatres once people realised how popular they where, although often, again particularly with slasher films, they would be edited down. Some films however such as 'Evil Dead', 'The Hills Have Eyes' and 'The Last House On The Left' where banned in many places such as the UK, where I live. Today these films seem pretty standard, especially when compared to the likes of 'Human Centipede', 'A Serbian Film' or 'Hostal', which are far more gruesome. Hell, all three of those previously banned films have had recent remakes.

Here's a list of some of the Grindhouse films that made an impact. Some are now considered cult classics such as 'A Clockwork Orange', others such as 'Nekromantik' and 'Cannibal Holocaust' are still banned in some countries like Germany and Spain with only a cut-down version of 'Cannibal Holocaust' legal here in UK as the animals butchering scenes are not faked, and as such it violate animal cruelty laws (and bloody right too). Still, while some films went to far, without Grindhouse films, we'd still be living in a time where violence could only be hinted at. Think 'Psycho', you never see the stabbings, you never hear the screams. All you see is blood on the floor, the shadow of stabbings, and "chilling sound effects". Effective at the time sure, but hardly pushing our limits.

25 Grindhouse Films That Changed Our Sensibilities

The above list, like I say are 25 films that really did change cinema, and change it for the good. They allowed us to explore the darker side of humanity in ways we previously couldn't. They pushed back the idea of what's considered obscene to allow for people to enjoy introspection and expression in film far more. Without that, video games would almost certainly have had a far greater struggle justifying their violence, and things like our own hobbies, roleplaying games and wargames where giant monsters kill each other... would they have escaped the public opinion of obscenity.

Still, to keep it within it's own media. Film has come a long way since the 1980's, by 1987 there was only one Grindhouse theatre left in New York, and one theatre here in the UK, in Manchester. With the advent of video, and the acceptance of more gory and extreme horror and action films by the masses, Grindhouse theatres became obsolete. Their influence however never did leave us. Quentin Tarantino is perhaps the most famous example of a director who's built off the style of these films.

Here's a list of my top 40 films influenced by Grindhouse Cinema. There's some really good films in here too.

40 Must-See Modern Films Influenced By Grindhouse Cinema

So. How many have you seen? What do you think of this style of film?