New Years Resolutions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

New Years Resolutions

So, it's officially 2015... it's that time of the year again where we make stupid promises to ourselves that we've all broken by March. With that, does anyone have any resolutions; I do.

1. I will not buy a single new video game in 2015.

"But why?", I hear you cry. Well I own a total of 410 games as of today, yet my backlog currently stands at over 300 games, 190 of them have NEVER BEEN PLAYED! Da fuq me?! Why do I keep buying games when I literally have hundreds of unfinished and unplayed games? If I assume an average length of 10 hours per game, (sure the average action game or platformer may be less but I have almost two dozen RPGs and about the same in Sandbox games in there too, including the likes of Skyrim, GTA V, etc)... As I say, if I assume 10 hours per game, it would take me over 8 MONTHS of continuous play, playing 12 hours a day, to finish everything. This madness must be reigned in.

I'm never going to quit gaming, but I have my PS3, 360, XBox, 3DS, Wii U, Dreamcast, Saturn, and Vita to play on, as well as a brand new PC here. All the hype of the next year is going to squarely fall on the PS4/XBO and I couldn't give a steaming shit about those overpriced plastic texture pack upgrades. Modern video games honestly just feels like an ingenious way to make me waste money. I don't like 'Assassin's Creed' and I don't like 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'; so considering the industry is basically just either copying one of those games, copying both of them, or somehow mixing elements of these games with 'GTA', I've stopped caring about modern games.

2. I will be exercising more. Specifically, I will go swimming twice per week, every week.

As a disabled man my ability to exercise has diminished greatly. I'm now quite sickeningly overweight, I'm now at my all-time heaviest at 27 stone... that's 378lbs for the Americans out there. I can't maintain any quality of life like this. Sure I can't walk, but it's time I changed my lifestyle to account for the fact that I can't exercise properly and took responsibility for my weight. I won't set myself a weight goal; that would only depress me and I have a tendency to comfort eat, (not helpful I know). I will however be eating smaller portions and I will be disallowing myself sweets and puddings this year. I prefer savory foods anyway, but if I eat high sugar foods I can pack away 1000 calories without even thinking about it.

3. I will reduce my Warhammer armies down from six armies to at most four by the end of the year.

I haven decided which ones are going yet but I can keep these armies going. They're almost entirely unpainted, half the armies are only partially built. I need more focus if I'm going to get any true satisfaction from this hobby. I'm therefor going to be looking into selling at least two of my armies. I'll obviously be keeping Chaos Dwarfs and Warriors Of Chaos as they're my favourites. Beastmen, Orcs & Goblins, Vampire Counts, Ogre Kingdom, and Dark Elves though... I don't need that many.

I'll likely keep Beastmen and Vampire Counts simply because they augment my main armies thanks to Chaos Legion and Lore Of Undeath rules. The others though... admittedly there's some cross-over but I must be able to cut the fat somewhere. I use the same models for Hobgoblins/Goblins in both Chaos Dwarfs and Orcs & Goblins. I use my River Trolls as Chaos Trolls because I never much liked the old Chaos Troll models. Likewise I use my Ironguts as Chaos Ogres for much the same reason. In fact, it's this unit crossover that made me collect so many different armies in the first place. Dark Elves are really the only truly separate army (and even then I've considered converting Cold On Knights for Chaos Knights with Mark Of Slaanesh), that said it's also my oldest army (complete with old metal Cold One Knights etc) so I'm reluctant to just get rid. Hmmm... this will take some pondering.

4. I will end the year with a 4 figure bank balance on my savings account.

This one is pretty huge as I have catalogue payments to make on my new PC which I bought in November. Considering it cost a whopping £1200, it's not exactly a cheap expense but dammit I'm sick of not having a decent computer. Add that to the £700 or so I already have to pay off on other purchases and it soon builds up. So there's that, plus I have bills and stuff. Then there's my tendency to go a bit crazy at Christmas which I need to reign in, (what can I say, I love my friends & family). All in all, I usually end each year flat broke. This year I ended it quite literally completely broken even, I had less than £20 in my current account on New Years Eve. I need to start planning for the future, rather than screwing over future me; past me is an arsehole who spends all his money, doesn't exercise, eats rubbish, and then leaves present me to deal with it; damn him.

In all seriousness though, with me not buying video games, eating out less, and trying to reign in Warhammer to a reasonable amount; this last goal should be manageable.

So... what are you guys New Year resolutions?

Current Armies: Warriors/Beastmen: 5000+ Pts. Chaos Dwarfs: 3000 Pts. Brets: 2000 Pts.
    Ogre Kingdom: 2000 Pts. Undead Legion: 2000 Pts. Kislev Contingent: 1500 Pts.
    Retired/Sold Armies: Dark Elves: 3000 Pts. Orcs & Goblins: 2000 Pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoCreator View Post
    So... what are you guys New Year resolutions?
    1) Work less.
    2) Fiddle more.

2. I will be exercising more. Specifically, I will go swimming twice per week, every week.

As a disabled man my ability to exercise has diminished greatly. I'm now quite sickeningly overweight, I'm now at my all-time heaviest at 27 stone... that's 378lbs for the Americans out there. I can't maintain any quality of life like this. Sure I can't walk, but it's time I changed my lifestyle to account for the fact that I can't exercise properly and took responsibility for my weight. I won't set myself a weight goal; that would only depress me and I have a tendency to comfort eat, (not helpful I know). I will however be eating smaller portions and I will be disallowing myself sweets and puddings this year. I prefer savory foods anyway, but if I eat high sugar foods I can pack away 1000 calories without even thinking about it.
    Might I suggest starting a Food Diary? I used My Fitness Pal to lose 50 lbs because I could put it on my smart phone, it has a pretty extensive database, and I could scan the barcodes of the foods I was eating (I eat a lot of canned soup) for easy input.

I didn't realize how much I was eating until I started writing it down. I was able to set a reasonable goal (the weight doesn't go on overnight, and it doesn't come off overnight), and just keep to x calories/day. Then, when I would get hungry (because you do get hungry when you start eating less), I would just look at the calories I'd already eaten that day and tell myself "I might be hungry, but I don't need to eat because I can see I've already eaten X amount over what a person actually needs."

The nicest part was: I didn't change what I was eating, merely how much I was eating. I could still go to McDonalds (or whatever) and order a cheeseburger, but, then seeing how many calories a cheeseburger was, I would cut it in half and save the other half for another meal. It's helped me keep the weight off, because I can look at something, and roughly know how much of my daily calorie intake it is. Sure, I can still have a pop, but that's half my lunch (if it's a big pop), or I can get a smaller pop and have something else with lunch. It took a lot of time and effort at the time (5-10 minutes prior to each meal), but now I just do the math in the background.

Ultimately, good luck. I hope you find something that works for your needs, because everybody's solution is personal.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Yeah, I'm familiar with MyFitnessPal and may give it a try again. For me, honestly, over-eating isn't a big issue. Obviously I do over-eat, but I don't often go much over 3000 calories per day and I eat a fairly balanced diet as my mother is a trained Chef. Rather, my main problem is the laat six years I've gone from being an active person who practiced two martial arts and was easily able to casually jog 2-3 mile to visit friends at the pub on a whim, to today where I'm needing walking aids to move around the house and I spend 20+ hours a day in bed. My diet hasn't changed but I know that means I'm burning far less calories and I've gone from a healthy 275lbs to my current weight 378lbs (over 100lbs gained). I'm a broad guy who's 6'6", I'm never going to be "thin" and I'd look bloody stupid if I was; but damn I need to improve somehow. I gained this at roughly 15-20lb per year; I'd like to lose it twice as fast but I know losing weight fast can be dangerous.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. It takes more mental strength than physical strength to make positive changes when you're day-to-day health is this bad. I appreciate the support.

PS: I swear I checked there where no other New Years Resolution threads before I started this one but another one has sprung up, Mods; feel free to merge the threads, or not if you feel they work better as separate threads, as you see fit.
    Current Armies: Warriors/Beastmen: 5000+ Pts. Chaos Dwarfs: 3000 Pts. Brets: 2000 Pts.
    Ogre Kingdom: 2000 Pts. Undead Legion: 2000 Pts. Kislev Contingent: 1500 Pts.
    Retired/Sold Armies: Dark Elves: 3000 Pts. Orcs & Goblins: 2000 Pts.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. It takes more mental strength than physical strength to make positive changes when you're day-to-day health is this bad. I appreciate the support.
    Yeah, I wish there was a single "do this one thing and all your problems will be solved", but everybody's solution is unique to them. Which means you just have to keep trying different things until you succeed. So long as you keep trying, you will succeed eventually.

So, while I wish I could give you answers, support is the only thing I can give that will actually help.

PS: I swear I checked there where no other New Years Resolution threads before I started this one but another one has sprung up, Mods; feel free to merge the threads, or not if you feel they work better as separate threads, as you see fit.
    The other one is more hobby related. I figured this one was of a more personal nature. Which is why I think it kinda works to have two different threads. Mods can make their own decisions, of course.

+ Reply to Thread